1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Goal A winner's routine

Discussion in 'Misc' started by Fundinn, Jun 13, 2018.

Goal: Follow Tim Ferris's Daily Routine for a Month(Think like Tim) by July 8, 2018 (finished)

100%

Closed

Member Fundinn commits to the following actions to achieve this goal

Follow a routine precisely, without skipping steps.
Think like Tim, life is an experiment, be objective of the results and make adjustments.

1. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Approval

I while ago I looked at Tim Ferris's routine and he was very serious about having a set process he follows everyday. I stumbled upon a video by a you-tuber earlier this week about it so I've decided to implement it myself. The principal reason for doing this is for the introspective nature of his routine. I think it will be helpful for me to take my thoughts and put them on paper, I've lately gotten used to an "anything goes I don't care" attitude, this should help me fix that.

It's not exactly his routine, but it's pretty close. I put it on a board in my room so I see it all the time:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5bvhir0m1183f50/board.JPG?dl=0

I think that the only challenging part is to make sure I don't miss days because of me sleeping elsewhere etc. So I'm also going to think in terms of 'Tim's' mindset, I have an opportunity starting this Thursday to take my dad's apartment while he's out of the country, he doesn't have the internet so I've also decided to only use the Internet as a tool and not a source of entertainment. His place is close to a bunch of cool venues so I will try to exploit that by doing something specific after work everyday to get to meet new people and focus on dating. Tim would treat new circumstances as an opportunity for life experiments, I will do that.

The last challenge kind of taught me that doing a lot is nice and all, but without being specific as to why I'm doing it, it's kind of aimless. For measurement, I'm going to put an X in a calendar as long as I do every task in the routine.

2. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal approved!

The community voted to approve this goal as Doable and SMART.
    Now, do your best to succeed! Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 24 Jun 2018.

3. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Looks like a great routine (especially the planning and gratitude) man, I'll be borrowing some of this for my future goals!

4. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal update is due.

Please submit an update on your goal progress.

5. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Update not submitted.

The goal update was not submitted within the time limit.

6. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Apologies for the late update. Don't have any good excuse!

I started on June 12th, I was relentless with the routine until the 21st, doing every step no matter what came up. Then on the weekend from the 22nd to 25th I left town for the long weekend with a group of friends and that disrupted the routine. I was drinking and going to bed at 3AM everyday. As soon as I got back I resumed the routine. I got 11 out of 15 days, this means I followed through 73% of the time so far.

I realize how important it is to make it count when the context is appropriate, because unforeseen trips can mess it up quickly. I have another chance at respecting the routine away from home next weekend as I go out in the woods.

As far as the actual routine, I find the cold showers to be a real blessing. I don't like them, but they ground me instantly, I also notice that I don't feel cold during the day. On multiple occasions people complained about feeling chilly while I felt warm. It's interesting because the cold shower is only 2 minutes long. It's also nice because it makes you do something you dislike, which is a micro-step into working on doing stuff we don't like.

I already meditated, but by offloading some of it in the morning I find that I go from feeling dizzy to feeling awake in 20 minutes, so that's a keeper. According to the book sleep smarter:

”Meditating in the morning is often the most beneficial time to do so. It's when your brain is already near the alpha state.”

I've been very specific about my journaling. Spending up to 30 minutes a day on this. I think that I need to revamp it, instead of writing what I did during the day, I'd like to create some kind of checklist that would be about materializing future goals instead of writing down facts of the day. I'll look online for better journaling techniques to start.

Going to try to get a 95%+ ratio for the remaining days.

Shaney96 likes this.
  7. James

James Host

Interesting.
    I know Tony Robbins swears by something similar. He sits in a super hot sauna and then jumps in a cold bath. "improves circulation and wakes your ass up" he says.

8. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    A lot of Japanese use the public bath's(Onsen's) for just that. There's a good article on AoM talking about the benefits of cold showers.

And I'm glad to hear that Tony does something similar, no wonder he's so present. It's a no-brainer right now, easy to implement.

James likes this.
  9. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal update is due.

Please submit an update on your goal progress.

10. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Update not submitted & Goal closed.

Due to excessive failed update submissions, the goal has been closed.

11. James

James Host

Gort is an unforgiving master :)

Do give us a report on how you felt it went, nevertheless.

12. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    My mistake @James! From now on, with future challenges, I will put the goal update date in my Google calendar. And I intend on finishing the challenge.

Otherwise, I am keeping up rather well. I have missed one evening since my last update, but I double-downed on the miss by doing an extended routine on the next day. Which means that my ratio is 8.5 out of 9 days, a solid 94%.

Concerning the routine, the cold showers have gotten a bit easier. I was also surprised at how much warmer the water felt at my local swimming pool. Granted the city has been dealing with a heat wave for the past week.

I tried something called freestyle journaling, where one writes without stopping until a page or two are filled. I was surprised at how well that went. It's kind of opening the door to all sorts of thoughts, most of them were relevant. And I don't know if it is the routine, but I've been waking up before or at 6AM* and going to bed at 11PM. I'm sleeping less and feeling just as strong. The small dose of gratitude is also pretty good. I acted like a tyrant a couple of times last week, being rather critical, so it's good to consciously put into words a couple of statements about what is going well.

Finally, this routine now feels like a ritual. It feels more or less established and kind of acts like a foundation, which makes you believe that those extra daily steps make you feel more confident and on-point for the day.

* I've been unconsciously wanting to wake up earlier, because the routine does take a solid hour out of every day, and I don't like rushing it.

And the journaling has been very concise, I'm going to keep up with the routine for some time going forward.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    Shaney96, Kostadin and James like this.