1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Goal Achieving results in upcoming competitions and studying accordingly

Discussion in 'Misc' started by Kostadin, Dec 21, 2017.

Goal: Studying hard to qualify for next stages of competitions by February 14, 2018 (finished)

100%

Completed

Member Kostadin commits to the following actions to achieve this goal

54 study time during the holidays
studying for 4 hours a day outside of school after holidays

1. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Approval

Hey everybody! As I wrote in my previous posts, there are 3 competitions I'm going to attend:
    1. The national competition in English - I already passed round 1, the next one will be somewhere between the 1st and the 7th of February
    2. The national competition in philosophy - the deadline for submitting the essays for stage one is around 25th of January
    3. The national competition in chemistry - round one is on the 17th of January

My full goals for those three (in the same order) are:
    - getting to round 3
    - achieving a good score on round 2 (>75%)
    - achieving a good score on round 2 (>75%)

However, I think it's wiser to focus on the first obstacles in front of me. This is why hopefully by the middle of February I will know the results from rounds 2,1,1 and make a new goal, according to what will have happened.

In order to achieve those three things, here is what I'm going to do:
    - study deliberately for at least 54 hours during the Christmas holidays (23.12.2017-2.1.2018)
    - when school starts again, I will study for at least 4 hours every day until the completion day of this goal (and hopefully until my days in high school end :D)

Important: I must be able to find time for physical exercise at least 3 times a week no matter what happens. I'm in a very good physical shape, I love sport and stopping because of studying would be dumb. Give me ideas for potential punishment if I fail at this one. (only for motivational purpose, hopefully)

2. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Looks solid. As John Maxwell once said, it's better to be someone who prepares, instead of someone who repairs. You are in a position of preparation, all that studying can only be beneficial. I'm glad you wrote down how you were going to reach the goals you listed.

As far as punishments go, I think that the upsetting feeling that might overtake you momentarily for skipping a gym/sport session is more than enough to keep you motivated. Also, it is known that physical exercise(even a walk) positively contributes to concentration. It seems counter-intuitive to skip moments that promote a healthy body. Unless you are talking about procrastinating instead of doing sports. In that case, I believe you know better.

I guess my only worry is how far out of your comfort zone will you go with this challenge. So I want to remind you to keep things slightly difficult for yourself as to promote improvement.

Keep it up.

3. James

James Host

Yes looks OK. The goal description isn't perfect (e.g. includes an action), but you've put the details in your post, so it's fine to go.
    The fitness thing should be considered outside this goal (but still something you're doing).

I'll leave it up to the community to give their buy-in by voting the goal through.

4. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    This is the first time I'm going to a competition of this kind in years, and I have decided that I want to do well in three, and their subjects have nothing in common. Not to mention that I used to have no clue what was going on during chemistry classes not a long time ago.
    Am I stepping out of my comfort zone? Is it going to be difficult? Holidays here start from 23rd of December, that is today. Everybody that I know will be laying in bed or relaxing at least up to the 31st, and I will be studying. Yes, it is going to be difficult for me on both physical and mental level.

Fundinn and James like this.
  5. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Pretty much what I've done so far........... And my Christmas break started on the 14th December........................

6. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal approved!

The community voted to approve this goal as Doable and SMART.
    Now, do your best to succeed! Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 31 Dec 2017.

7. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    It's time for a report.
    So far I can only say one thing - the 54 hours of study time during the holidays weren't really a smart goal. I didn't anticipate that I was going to attend a large number of other events, so, my bad. Nevertheless, I'll try my hardest to study as much as possible.
    Happy holidays everyone. :)

8. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal update is due.

Please submit an update on your goal progress.

9. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Apparently I wrote my update before it became the 31st everywhere, so I'm going to quote my post.

And one more thing, obviously I'm going to suffer the consequences of not having thought the goal out carefully.

Voting on this update has closed.

10. James

James Host

Well how much did you do?

11. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    So far around 8 hours. I'll get to at least 11 today, but those are rookie numbers. I guess it would be great if I score 22 by the end of the holidays (2th of January).

James likes this.
  12. James

James Host

I see, well this is part of the learning process: either catching yourself slipping, or failing to take things into account when you set your goal. So let's see you nail the next week. Let's make 2018 big.

A reminder to everyone (as there maybe seems to be more enthusiasm about positively rating a report than negatively) that there is nothing personal about an update rating. You're just acting as a jury of the facts; it's purely objective so the goal-setter can rely on you for accountability. So I'll admin-vote this update according to the rating guide.

13. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: The previous update has been rated.

The score was: 2.00.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 07 Jan 2018

14. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal update is due.

Please submit an update on your goal progress.

15. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

This week was a lot better than the last one, but because it's the end of the school term, I had to do a lot of things unrelated to my personal goals. Including all the extra classes that I take over the week, I have a total of 24 hours of productive work outside of regular school classes. It could be better, but it's three times more than last week. (side note: I didn't skip exercising, so that's great)
    Here's what have I done about my preparation for the competitions that I'm going to attend:
    - took some works of Aristotle and Nietzsche from the library;
    - as far as English is concerned, I have yet to do something extra, since it was a busy week, but I'm studying for both my regular classes and the course outside of school;
    - I had to do a project for the Chemistry class, whose contents will be included in the competition and I went to an extra Chemistry class, designed for preparing students for the said competition.

I guess that's all I can say about this week.

Voting on this update has closed.

16. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    This will make a huge difference if the teacher did a good job. Mate, sounds like you are a steam train to grades still! keep it up!

17. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Sounds like you are taking good steps like the chemistry prep class and keeping on top of reading.

If i'm working this our right you did on average about 3 and half hours of extra work per day? So you are so close to reaching your action commitment, can you pin down what it is that's preventing you from getting that extra half an hour in?

You don't seem like the kind of person who would procrastinate so if it's other responsibilities/school work maybe there's some way to find a work around, You could look into getting the books you were planning on reading as audiobooks, and listen to them while exercising or travelling. If you did that throughout the day you would probably make up at least 30 minuets.

I guess that's dependant on whether you can absorb an audiobook the same way you can absorb text, maybe it's not realistic to study like that.

James likes this.
  18. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I wish this was the case. Believe it or not, during the last three (probably even five) school years studying whenever I felt like it/in the last possible moment was more than enough. It would be now as well, but since I have taken up a lot of extra stuff, I find it quite hard to get down to work. Once I actually do, I check the boxes relatively fast, unless it's something boring that must be done. (example: Today I had to revise ~40 pages of my English schoolbook just to make sure that I'm absolutely ready for the examination for the end for the term that will take place tomorrow. I guess some things just have to be done.)
    When I get home, I spend too much time eating (in front of the PC, which usually turns into mindless), I should just eat my meal on the kitchen table and get straight to work, without taking any breaks. (as if we do something mentally/physically demanding at school anyway, at least for 80% of the time)

I have never tried this. It would be a good method of practicing my English, but I'm afraid I probably won't process the information, if this is my goal. I don't travel that much (school is 10 minutes from my doorstep) and listening to something other than music while exercising means I wouldn't be focused on the physical activity. And well, I really enjoy reading books made of paper.

Note: I should really start writing a short plan for each day, so I take responsibility for doing this until the end of the week. The same goes about not eating in front of the computer. (and those things will be included in my next report)

19. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: The previous update has been rated.

The score was: 3.33.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 14 Jan 2018

20. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Yeah dude, I made this change a while back, cooking a meal and eating at your table, then immedietly cleaning the space puts you in a great frame of mind to move on with whatever your goal for the day is. Eating at a computer or in front of the tv destroys your productivity.

Would it be possible to find the books in your first Language? Although you have other reasons not to try this out, maybe there are other ways you can make the most of your time. That said it sounds like you just need to make best use of your time and not leave stuff till the last minuet. I've been there so I know how tough it is when you know you can "get it done" even if you leave it late, but it's the difference between seeing how far you could possibly go, and getting by at an acceptable but personally unsatisfying level.

This sounds like a fantastic idea, even if it's just a list of bullet points you write while you eat breakfast, things you will do that day. Then you get them all done and look back while eating dinner. Repeat that every day for a week while making good use of your time and you can look back through that weeks lists at the end and get a confidence boost.

Kostadin likes this.