1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Goal Achieving results in upcoming competitions and studying accordingly

Discussion in 'Misc' started by Kostadin, Dec 21, 2017.

Goal: Studying hard to qualify for next stages of competitions by February 14, 2018 (finished)

100%

Completed

Member Kostadin commits to the following actions to achieve this goal

54 study time during the holidays
studying for 4 hours a day outside of school after holidays

1. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Interesting. I have completely given up on the idea of eating at the table haha. Guess I will need to revisit this habit of mine.
    [​IMG]

2. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Oh man that looks so nice though, got a coaster and boards and everything! Although you are eating while you work rather than procrastinating so I think you get a pass.

3. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal update is due.

Please submit an update on your goal progress.

4. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Last week was productive, but I still didn't meet my goal. The time I spent studying on average was the same as last week - 3.5 hours a day, but my studying was spread out equally. (I never mentioned this in the previous threads, but leaving things for the last possible moment is another bad habit I have)
    The mindset "get home from school, eat immediately and get down to studying afterwards" helps a lot. I think this week is going to be my week.

Update on the competitions:
    My Philosophy essay (for round one) is ready and submitted, I'm waiting for the results.
    The first round of the Chemistry competition is going to take place this Wednesday.
    The second round of the English competition is due to a bit less than one month from now, and I've been preparing for it of course.

Side notes:
    I haven't skipped exercising this week.
    My marks throughout the first term have been good enough (the only B is in History) that I'm going to have even more extra time for preparations.

What do you people think of meditation? Would it benefit me in the pursuit of my goal?

Voting on this update has closed.

James likes this.
  5. James

James Host

Well sounds like you're still sticking at it. 3.5 hours a day is a pretty good stepping stone for 4 hours a day ;)
    We'll be interested to hear the results when you get them.

From what I've read, meditation can be used to improve focus, or dampen stress. So I guess if you're thinking about too many different things, you could use it to calm your mind, ready for focus on study.

(evidence)
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0361923011001341
    http://faculty.washington.edu/wobbrock/pubs/gi-12.02.pdf

Kostadin likes this.
  6. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    To be honest @Kostadin, it could just be 3.5 hour works best for you. But 4 is always nice... ;)

Good luck with the competitions man!

Kostadin likes this.
  7. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    However 3.5 is not enough for me to do everything I want to. Also I'm just being lazy - the earlier I change this, the better. Also thanks, I don't mind a bit of luck. :)
    So it's basically just what I need. I'll read those walls of texts as soon as I get a bit of free time.

The chemistry competition is tomorrow, meaning that I'll probably know the results by the end of the week, just in time for the goal update.

James likes this.
  8. James

James Host

You don't need to read them. I just believe in backing up advice with science/precedent (so it's not just opinion).

9. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    It sounds like even if you aren't pushing yourself to your absolute limits you are still preparing well for these competitions, you got this man. Good luck!

Kostadin likes this.
  10. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    @James Always having information to back up a claim that you are making is actually a very good habit now when I think about it, and it is something that I should try doing.
    I went through the articles, and I'm convinced that meditation can be beneficial to me. Can you please send me a good practical guide, if you know of one?

11. James

James Host

If you want the best, defer to the best -- in this case: the old zen masters.
    https://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Thinking-Guide-Zen-Meditation/dp/1590300246

As for a simple guide, the following is fine:
    http://stopandbreathe.com/2011/03/04/meditation-101-a-10-step-beginners-guide/

When I used to do it (during a high stress time in my life), I basically did according to that guide, using my breath as the point of focus, and pushing thoughts out of my head whenever they came back.

zanemwarwick and Kostadin like this.
  12. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I highly recommend it.
    Start small, with like a minute or two each day, just to form a habit out of it. Gradually increment 30-60 seconds each day until you're at 10 minutes, then stay there for a good amount of time.

Personally, I don't advice 'pushing thoughts out of my head', as @James advised, but instead doing the following. Remember that the following exercises should be practised individually, so one exercise per session. This is to help you become familiar with the exercise and understanding how it can benefit you:

- The main one is to just observe the breath. For all meditation, I sit in the half-lotus position on a cushion, with my back straight and my palms resting on my knees. My eyes are closed, and I may or may not keep a light smile across my face. Anyways, yeah, observe the breath. There's no need to breathe slowly, just breathe naturally, and really focus on the flow of air coming in through your nose. Feel your chest expanding, then feel the breathe leave your body. It may help to visualize the breathe as a 'spirit of freedom', in the sense that, when you breathe out, the breathe takes along any anxieties with it.

- The next exercise is to label thoughts. I guess I'll go back on what I said about only doing one exercise at a time, because you may get stuck when becoming encumbered by thoughts when trying to purely focus on the breath. So, when you're focusing on breathing and some thought comes along to distract you, don't dismiss it. Don't be like "oh shit son, we got one of those thoughts things here", and don't be hard on yourself if you get carried away and immerse yourself in the thought. If you do get carried away, you'll re-become present when you realize you've gotten carried away, and can return to the breath. If a thought comes along and you recognize it before getting carried away, label it as a 'thought' or a 'feeling', then allow it to pass. Allowing it to pass will gradually become easier the more you meditate, focus on the breath, and are able to recognize thought patterns.

- Another idea is to see yourself as a transparent sheet, allowing all thoughts to pass through you. You become an impenetrable ship of presence once you allow all unnecessary thoughts to simply pass through, unable to attach themselves to you.

- Scan through your entire body. Start from the top of your head, and slowly work your way down, really focusing on the sensation of each part of your body. Are you at the point where you're focusing on your fingers? Give them a wriggle, and feel every sensation.

I enjoy the point made about not working at your desk. I feel I go into "binge YouTube and Reddit" mode when I sit my ass down after work/gym with my dinner. Will definitely keep this in mind going forth.

Kostadin likes this.
  13. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: The previous update has been rated.

The score was: 3.67.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 21 Jan 2018

14. Gort

Gort Robot

15. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Last week was a very big week. A lot happened, but first things first:
    Yours truly almost scored 4 hours a day. Almost. On Friday afternoon I wasn't really filling well, my body temperature rose, leading to the best headache I've had in a while. I got over it, everything important that needed to be done was done, but I still didn't achieve what I wanted... Live and learn.
    If we don't take this into account, the week was actually the best one I've had so far.
    First round of the Chemistry competition took place, my score is 78/100 points, just over the minimum of 75 needed to pass to the next round. (11th of February)
    I handed my essay in for the Philosophy competition, and was accepted to the next stage. (10th of February)

Hm, this schedule seems a bit... stacked? But wait, there's more!
    Round 2 of the English competition is also on 10th of February, in the evening, whereas the Philosophy is in the morning.
    The education department of the government doing God's work, again.

Since qualifying for stage 3 of the English competition is what I'm really striving for, as of now it becomes my main goal. I commit to spending at least one hour every day doing things that will help me do well in the said contest, until Friday 9th of February. (those hours will be included in the original goal, but I will also report on the progress there separately)

My math homework awaits me.

Voting on this update has closed.

16. James

James Host

Awesome!

17. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Good job man! Rooting for you!

Don't want to be THAT guy again, but 'filling' would actually be 'feeling' :D

Keep going bro.

Kostadin and James like this.
  18. James

James Host

For this goal, he can't complain :D

zanemwarwick, Jack and Kostadin like this.
  19. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: The previous update has been rated.

The score was: 4.33.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 28 Jan 2018

20. Gort

Gort Robot