1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Goal Achieving results in upcoming competitions and studying accordingly

Discussion in 'Misc' started by Kostadin, Dec 21, 2017.

Goal: Studying hard to qualify for next stages of competitions by February 14, 2018 (finished)

100%

Completed

Member Kostadin commits to the following actions to achieve this goal

54 study time during the holidays
studying for 4 hours a day outside of school after holidays

1. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

This week was a lot of things, but not productive towards my goal.
    On Wednesday morning was announced that there's a flu epidemic in town, meaning that Thursday - Monday are all off-days. I definitely took advantage of this, I'm not going to lie. Also my birthday was this Thursday, and I had a blast on the party that took place the next day.
    Average time spent studying outside of school for this week - 2 hours a day. I did put at least half of them into my preparation for the English competition, so it's not like I've done absolutely nothing.
    Even if the unplanned vacation goes on for more time, the following week will be spent more productively. (with less partying)

Voting on this update has closed.

2. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    This could have been taken advantage of by dedicating 4 hours in the morning to studying and the afternoon and evening to doing whatever-the-fuck you liked.

I can't blame you for taking your birthday off, but remember that you'll feel much better (heavily due to no guilt) if you put some work in then have fun afterwards.

Pretty nuts that the school give you Thursday-Monday off. I remember when Swine Flu hit our time big time and our school didn't give a flying fuck. People were being sent home at lunches due to falling ill and school were like "meh, fuck 'em".

James and Kostadin like this.
  3. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    As someone who pushed for grades, please also continue to have fun at parties. Continue to be social, get some crazy experiences, get experience with girls, build a social circle. As someone who is older use my here as what not to do.

Always like that with nits too xD

Kostadin likes this.
  4. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    It was just announced that the break continues up to the next Tuesday.
    We're given those kid of holidays annually, sadly. It's bad because when we come back to school, the teachers are going nuts over the stuff we have to catch up, especially given that it is the end of the term. Not to mention missing classes that would have been helpful for the upcoming competitions. I guess everything depends on me now.
    I can't really consider myself to be the most social person, although I can't complain about not having friends and contacts. I'm probably going to create a brainstorming thread on this topic after I finish with my current goal.

5. James

James Host

That flu must be something brutal... Don't think I ever recall school being called off for a flu. They just told the flu-ridden to stay home.

Well lots of opportunity for study for you!

Kostadin likes this.
  6. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Don't worry about it too much bro, just consider what I've said :D

Kostadin likes this.
  7. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: The previous update has been rated.

The score was: 2.67.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 04 Feb 2018

8. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal update is due.

Please submit an update on your goal progress.

9. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

*drum roll*

Untitled.png

For the first time in a month, I met my goal. It was about time. I feel tired and satisfied at the same time.
    The second stages of the three competitions will take place this weekend, meaning that I have to get the ball rolling again.

Here's a list of what I did last week:
    ~7 hours of reading Aristotle
    ~14 hours of preparation for the English competition (example tests mostly)
    The rest was spent on homework for school: maths, programming and some other stuff.
    I enrolled on a Japanese course (1.5 hours every Sunday) and of course, I spend some time studying it at home as well. (while I've always been more keen on the Korean language, the city I live in is rather small, meaning that I'm actually lucky that I even found a course in an Asian language and I just took the chance - so far so good)

For this week, my primary focus will once again be English. I'll try to read as much as possible about other philosophers, but I'm afraid I won't have a lot of time to do an in-dept research. As far as the Chemistry competition is concerned, missing so many days at school hit my chances of achieving a good result in this subject very hard. I will still try to read up on everything I'm gonna need.

That's everything for this week. I should know the results of the competitions by the end date I've set - 15th of February (Thursday), but at the end of the week when it's the time for the next progress report I will still write what will have happened.

Voting on this update has closed.

James likes this.
  10. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Well done on the study hours Kostadin. Good luck with those Japanese lessons. I spent three months in Japan and it was a mind-fuck. I believe that their language involves parts of the brain us, westerners, don't use very much.:eek:

Those missed days are due to the flu epidemic right?

Kostadin likes this.
  11. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Smashing it mate.

12. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Yes, I'm not going to school against my will!
    Jokes aside, in my situation, it would be really counterproductive and weird if I could go to school, but I didn't. :D
    Keep it for when I tell you that I've been accepted to the final stages of the competitions. ;)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    Tom likes this.
  13. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: The previous update has been rated.

The score was: 4.75.

No more progress updates will come due on this goal (but you can still post them).
    Your goal results will come due on Wed, 14 Feb 2018

14. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal achievement results are due.

Please submit a report on your achievement of this goal. The community will then rate your result. You can include any evidence that helps present your result.

15. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    It's time for the end of the story that you all (hehe) have been waiting for... or no.

Sadly, I have yet to be given my results in the competitions. This may happen next Monday, or after 3 weeks, I really don't know.
    What I can do is to describe my experiences and give my estimations. But before this:

Untitled.png

3.5 hours on average. The reason I did not study at all Saturday is that I just couldn't find energy to do it after I'd spent more than 7 hours participating in the said competitions.

And now let's dive into the story.

It was Saturday morning. The first competition was in philosophy. Our task was to write an essay on one of 4 given quotes. I chose something along the lines of "The value of philosophy should actually be sought mostly in its uncertainty." - Bertrand Russel. 4 pages more than 3 hours later I was ready. I quoted and used some works by Plato, Aristotle, Socrates, Freud and of course, yours truly.

Kind of unbiased self-critique: I'm proud of what I did, but I have no idea if this is what is going to give me the needed points (75/100) for the next round, especially because the nature of the subject is rather subjective.

I had around 2 hours left before the English competition was going to take place, I took my time to eat and discuss some random stuff with other people that went to the first competition. At around 14:00 I was waiting to be given the papers. Here's a list of the tasks in the English competition:
    1) Dictation (by a random teacher, whose pronunciation is under question; spoiler alert: I didn't get lucky)
    2) 3 different kinds of readings (answering questions or arranging the missing parts of the text from a list 5 small paragraphs for example)
    3) 3 or 4 exercises falling into the category "Use of English" - grammar, vocabulary
    4) Writing (on one of two given topics, I wrote about the meaning of art in life or something like that)

Kind of unbiased self-critique №2: While I definitely gave my best and I do feel satisfied, I probably won't have enough points to pass on round three, which is kind of bad/sad/*I really don't know what word to put in here*, since that was my main goal. (90/100) As I said, I have yet to be given the final results, but it would be a wonder.

On Sunday morning, I was feeling weird. I had to prioritize a maximum of two subjects, and chemistry was the one which I prepared the least for. Knowing that the odds were against me, I didn't expect much. After around hour and a half of fighting, I made the infamous maneuver "tactical retreat" (also known as literally surrendering) We were given four tasks, and I kind of made the 4th one? Does "The guys from the special class in my school who study mostly Biology and Chemistry said that they also had a very hard time." sound as an excuse? Yes, it does, I know that it is an excuse, just wanted to let you know. :p
    I hope for a two digit score. (and the possible is between 0 and 100)

An unbiased opinion for a change: I wasn't prepared for this one at all. Getting the experience and all is great, but if I am to go to the Chemistry competition next year, I'll have to start preparations from earlier.

And, since that is my first structured field report (kind of), I'm going to use the opportunity to finish it in TRP style.
    Lessons learned:
    1. Preparation and planning are key.
    2. Having a weekly goal of hours that should be put in studying is the thing I've been missing all my life.
    3. Do not postpone. This self-evident, but I did this mistake over the course of the last month and a half.
    4. Going from no hard work to 4 hours a day, every day is hard, meaning that taking the edge off in effective ways is important. (while I have never mentioned this in any of my posts here, it will be a major topic in my "upcoming brainstorming thread"™)

That should cover everything.
    P.S.: I'll submit the actual goal result as soon as I am given the results.

James likes this.
  16. James

James Host

We'll look forward to the results.

One of the most powerful things about this process is the ability to reference back. Whatever result you get, you'll now be able to scrutinize it's origin, and this can inform your next actions.

17. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Looking forward to the results.

What ever you get I'm pretty convinced you will have done your best.

18. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Result report not submitted.

The goal achievement report and evidence was not submitted within the time limit, so this goal has been closed.

Updates Report
    Total updates submitted: 6 of 6
    Average update rating: 3.00 (goal_update_caption_3)

19. James

James Host

Just let us know when you get the results, and I'll manually re-open it somehow (can't handle case-by-case results delays yet).

20. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Currently I know absolutely nothing. The laws in Bulgaria are as follows: the results must be released no later than 10 days before the next round; and it seems like the assessors are taking their time.

James likes this.