1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Goal Adopt Winners' Sleep Schedule

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by James, Feb 27, 2018.

Tags:

Goal: Shift sleep back to 5am - 7am wakeup region by March 27, 2018 (finished)

100%

Completed

Member James commits to the following actions to achieve this goal

Get up at target time and work.
Backed up by external forcing.
Present records of wake/sleep times.

1. James

James Host

Goal Approval

I figure there's not really any reason the host can't join in goal setting too, and I feel this issue has come to a head today, so I'll be joining in with one of my own goals.

Issue
    Poor sleep schedule. My tendency is to stay up later and later (unless something external holds it back), which then forces my wake time later, until I end up with a sleep pattern like 5am to 1pm, and feeling disgusting. This has not got in the way of my getting by, as my work doesn't require fixed hours. So I've previously justified it with "doesn't matter what time I do things", "well I'm on a roll so I shouldn't stop this task just to sleep" etc, as a result.

However I've now realized this is an incorrect attitude. None of the winners are getting out of bed at noon, regardless of when they go to sleep, and I believe there's also some in-built biological reasons why getting up with the sun improves performance, increases your total hours of work output, etc. Also I think there's something about "getting up before everyone else" that coincides with the winners' attitude.

My total work output has been unsatisfactory recently (only did around 50 hours last week), and so I'm going to target this issue as a potential improving force on that.

Model

Elon Musk wakes at 7am.
    Dwayne Johnson wakes at 4am (to work out).
    Donald Trump wakes at 5.30am.
    Mark Zuckerberg wakes at 8am.
    Richard Branson wakes at 5:45am (even when chilling on his private island, leaves curtains open, so sun-synchronized).

Action conclusion
    I should resyncronize such that I wake either side of sunrise (in the 5am to 7am region). This requires approx -7 hour sleep shift.

Action commitment
    4 weeks should be sufficient to accomplish the resync.
    Focus primarily on the wake, but making sure not to schedule anything or leave anything to the evening that could encourage late work.
    Curtains left open to get full morning sunlight.
    Have some fixed morning routine after waking to help purge the lethargy (e.g. morning walk).
    Start work around 1 hour after waking.
    Shock method, instead of gradual. I.e. launch into trying to hit the 5am to 7am region immediately, and compensate for the resulting sleep deprivation with naps when compelled.
    No use of sleep medicines, as they're an unnecessary blunt instrument that can just as easily screw up sleep schedules as fix them.
    Initially (first week or two), when it's hardest, use external forcing as supplement. Specific example: ordering morning scheduled delivery coffee that forces me to get out of bed regardless of how crap I feel (to go to the door and collect the delivery). Preferably some brutal quadruple shot kind of coffee if they'll do that.

Evidence presentation
    Photo of handwritten notes of daily approx bed & wake times to nearest half hour.

2. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    HAha yes @James good to see you in on a goal! Sounds like a solid plan. Plus waking at 'normal' times helps you build a lifestyle that is more compatible with others when they arise.

Are you committing to the shock method? Another possibility is to do an all nighter then go to bed the next day at the desired time. Probably best to start reading/relaxing videos on youtube at 11/11.30 then trying to sleep at 11.30/12? That keeps you near 8 hours with a 7am morning. This method is also tried and tested by millions of students after each exam period!

3. James

James Host

On second thoughts, not sure this method would even be possible, given how close current sleep time is to desired wake time. Perhaps it'll have to be split into two shifts, each half the total shift. And problem with the all-nighter method is I figure that's around a +17 shift instead of -7, so it'd take longer.

4. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal approved!

The community voted to approve this goal as Doable and SMART.
    Now, do your best to succeed! Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 04 Mar 2018.

5. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    For sure. Do you not ever feel like "half the day's gone" when you awake in the afternoon? I always feel like "well, it's too late to start being super-productive as it's 2pm and I've just gotten outta bed."

I definitely agree that there has to be something build in us: Getting up early always makes me feel like doing something productive. I feel great if I've done 3-4 hours worth of work by midday, in comparison to only starting work at 6pm, for example.

Do you run your own business or something? 50 hours is a good amount of time, comparatively speaking of course.

I think it will help if you have some sort of strict morning routine. No need to give mine unless desired, but I always feel more work-oriented after spending 20-30 minutes doing my 'morning ritual'; it's as if it sets you up for the day.

Also, if you ever feel like staying in bed, there was something from Marcus Aurelius:

6. James

James Host

Yes definitely feels unproductive and slovenly, regardless of total hours. No doubt part of why I've yet to read a biography of a winner who leisurely got out of bed at noon.

Not a nine-to-fiver is as narrow as I can put it.

Yes it's a good quote. Hard not to pay attention to a book written by a man with the title of "Last of the Five Good Emperors".

7. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Nice, even if unintended: "Always say less than is necessary." Or, "always keep an air of mystery" is how I like to put it.

8. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Nice to see your goal James. It gives us a look at how you write it down. I like the model part, good idea.

I read a book called Sleep Smarter(which I highly recommend, or the cheat-sheet if there's no time) and in the book, they talk about the way our skin absorbs light that is emitted by led's, street lights and the moon(among others). Shawn recommends using blinds. Because the lights will perturb the quality of your sleep. The skin is able to absorb any light source as well so wearing an eye mask doesn't cut it.

His stuff is backed by science, but I suppose it is up to debate. Some people swear by waking up with the sunlight entering their room. In my town it's cloudy 8 months a year, so I guess I can do without haha.

If you don't like reading, there's also Louis who did a podcast that goes over some chapters of Sleep Smarter. I personally learned a lot from this.

9. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal update is due.

Please submit an update on your goal progress.

10. James

James Host

Goal Update

Going OK so far, managed to get one wakeup in the target region already. I actually can't remember the last time I got up at 7am purely volitionally, and this is about a -7 hour shift on the initial within a week, so pleased about that one.

It has definitely not been smooth sailing. Big oscillation in times, as can be seen, has felt quite unpleasant, and has actually lowered weekly performance (temporarily I assume).
    Did have to resort to sleep medicine initially, as simply impossible to sleep, but already weening off it, and expect no need by end of next week. Coupled with morning sunlight, it has not caused aggravation of the problem as I feared.
    The biggest thing that has helped is having maximal morning sunlight. I think it's the critical factor. Lack thereof was probably what allowed the sleep to drift so late in the first place.

Expecting to see the oscillations drop off this week.

1.jpg

Voting on this update has closed.

11. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    What are the 2nd and 3rd column headers, and the superscripted 'T'? I assume 'AL' is alarm?

Fundinn likes this.
  12. James

James Host

Good point, 2nd is wake & 3rd is sleep.
    AL was a mark to point out I failed to set a recurring alarm, resulting in that late wake. T was for 'too tired', where I felt on that day it was unwise to get up when I woke (which was in target), given exhaustion and things I needed to get done that day.

13. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: The previous update has been rated.

The score was: 4.00.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 11 Mar 2018

14. Gort

Gort Robot

15. James

James Host

Goal Update

Progress: approx wake shift of -1 hour against last week (~ 10:30 to ~ 9:30). Appears on track to achieve goal.
    Action: mixed in external forcing, such as scheduling things early in the morning; sleep medicine was not used; started mixing certain work items in with a morning cafe visit.
    2.jpg

16. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Smashing that coffee? ;P

17. James

James Host

I ask them for 'litre', but they just point to their list of esoteric Italian sizes.

18. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: The previous update has been rated.

The score was: 4.40.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 18 Mar 2018

19. Gort

Gort Robot

20. James

James Host

Goal Update

This week's a write-off. Got food poisoning early in the week and still not fully recovered. Threw my sleep off completely as a result. Will see what I can pull off next week.

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      43.1 KB
      Views: