1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Brainstorming

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by norbulak, Dec 21, 2017.

?

What physical activity should I practice ?

1. Go back to Muay Thai ( I very much enjoyed it, even though it was intense)

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Run for 30mn morning 6d/w ( Never done it/I hate running => i would make me break metal boundaries)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lift

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  4. NOTHING. Concentrate only on food for a while before exercising

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

2 vote(s)
    22.2%

Goal: Lose between 7 and 10 kg by February 1, 2018 (finished)

Canceled

Member norbulak commits to the following actions to achieve this goal

-> Follow diet plan ( 1900 kcal/ day ) -> NEVER miss a training session -> Weekly updates

1. norbulak

norbulak New Member

Rating points:
    Action points:

Goal Approval

Hello gentlemen,

Long things short I've been struggling with weight loss my entire life. Mostly because I can't seem to be able to commit to my plans and of my relationship with food (pretty much addicted). Here's a quick overview of what I've tried to do and didn't work :

=> Joined various gyms throughout my life but never really stuck around long enough to get to the point of being fit.
    => Lost a lot of weight thanks to a dietician a few years back. But stopped seeing her after she gave me positive feedback and slowly but surely crawled back to my old eating habits.
    => Joined a Muay Thai boxing class 2 months ago. After a month of going there regularly and starting to see progress I stopped going and ate myself back to point 0.
    => Got into a diet plan about 2 weeks ago, basically I have healthy meals (3/day) with the right calorific intake delivered to my place every two weeks. The first week went fine but the past 10 days I've had quite a few binge eating sessions that nullified my efforts.

Current state :
    Weight = 107Kg (236~237 lbs)
    height = 170 cm (5'7")
    BMI = 37

I will go on with my current diet ( rounds up to 1900 calories a day when done correctly) and add my cheat meals and any other type of misconduct to my weekly update post along with a weight measurement chart to which a point will be added each week.

About physical activity. I am more keen to start going to Muay Thai classes again but I'll put I added a pole to this thread to know what you guys think.

My goal would be losing between 7 and 10 kilograms in 10 weeks just to start. My end weight goal would be 80kg.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edit : I seem to have mistakenly entered 6 weeks instead of 10 in my goal. @James how can I change that ?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  2. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    From my experience if weight loss is your main goal I would focus entirely on diet, more exercise is going to help maintaining a deficit but one bad meal and it can completely negate any affect you might have seen on your weight.

I mean it's probably a good idea to exercise anyway but personally I would separate weight loss and exercise, do the activity because you want to learn it/get more skillful and any affect that has on your weight is just an added bonus, I would love to hear other members opinions on that though because I am only basing this on my relatively small amount of experience!

I like that you have a definite end goal, but I think you shouldn't aim to lose "between" two amounts, set yourself a clear goal for the whole period then work out how much that will be per week without giving yourself room to not succeed as much if that makes sense? I have problems with motivation myself and I always see them at their worst when I give myself room to over think it or excuse myself.

James likes this.
  3. James

James Host

Good work getting started. A combined brainstorming + goal thread is not usual, but interesting, so we'll see how it plays out.

I've fixed it for you. I should probably put a note that goal descriptions don't need the time frame (as it's added by the completion date).

It's fine to have both (kind of push + pull so twice the power), but you're right that getting eating down is the more important of the pair.

[​IMG]

Correct. The community must only accept fixed singular numbers for numerical goals (e.g. weightloss, weightgain).

@norbulak so choose a number, and make sure it's doable. Are you confident you could lose 1kg per week? Sounds pretty hardcore to me. I'm not sure even people who get lost in snowy woods lose at that rate.

4. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I think with your current weight that kind of weight loss is doable. I was dropping 3-5lbs a weeks at first. Although expect it to slow week 3/4. Continue a deficit and all is well. Cheat meals are for metabolism boosts. My mate had 1 a week on his 40 lbs weight loss.

My advice. Keep hydrated. R E A L L Y hydrated. Drink 1 gallon of ice cold water.

Source: Dr Darden, a prominent figure in the HIT community. http://www.drdarden.com/readTopic.do?id=383704

Eat fruit. Veg. Eat healthy.

Good luck.

Chad jaw line and solid washboard abs for girls to bounce off inbound. 10 clicks out.

Look at yourself in the mirror.

That body is gone.

Lets do it.

Jack and James like this.
  5. James

James Host

He's right you know, you get "sexy in the face" as Eliot Hulse humorously called it, as the fat draws away from you jaw and cheekbones.

I'm not sure what top-end weightloss rates are. There's room for quoting scientific papers on this (or just whatever rates they've achieved on shows like "biggest loser").

6. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I'm 172 centimeters myself, so I think sharing some personal experience can be beneficial to you. Other things that should be taken into consideration:
    I'm currently 62 kilograms and have the metabolism of a person who is almost 17;
    - my mother is slim and my father is prone to building muscle mass;
    - I have played a number of sports in the past, but it wasn't before starting focusing on exercising for the entirety of 2017 that I finally started seeing results.
    I have been doing r/BodyWeightFitness' recommended routine for the last 5 months and honestly, I couldn't be happier with the results. The benefits - you don't just get more powerful, but also gain control over your body. The only equipment you need: a pull-up bar, a pair of gymnastics rings (for the later progressions of the exercises), a suitable flour, a suitable wall. What are those "progressions" that I am talking about? Example - let's say you do push-ups for a long period of time. You will inevitably get good. Maybe you will be able to do 3 or 4 sets per workout, each consisting of 100 or 200 reps? This is ineffective and may lead to some serious injuries. What you can do instead is to do "harder kinds" of push-ups. The guys at r/BWF have done a pretty good job explaining everything you need to know and have released a ton of video materials, you should see it yourself.

Note: In order to do this kind of workout properly, you first need to lose some weight. Aside from the obvious stuff that the other guys have pointed out, I can't give any first-hand advice.

7. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    It is often suggested that a strong base in calisthenics is great for later progression in the gym.

8. norbulak

norbulak New Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Hey guys,

I totally agree. That's why I think that Muay Thai is one of the better options for me, I actually have a lot of fun doing it and can have a separate goal related to it ( partaking in a an amateur match in a few years maybe ? ).
    I chose 1kg per week because I know that I hit those number a few years back when I was seeing a dietician, but it only was the case during the first 5 weeks or so hence the "between 7 and 10 in 10 weeks". But if it has to be a fixed number ( which I can understand) I would say 9Kg ( I kind of feel that 10 is impossible in 10 weeks, but 9 seems doable if I really push myself).
    Yes ! Will definitely do that.
    Haha Thanks for the motivation.
    Yeah I can definetly see why. After only a month of going to muay thai training 3 times a week ( it has some hardcore warmup/physical conditioning routines before getting to the actual boxing training) I could feel my body getting "tighter" for lack of a better term.

The more I think about it the more I realize that Muay Thai seems like the best option for me. It incorporates many of the elements you guys talked about and has fixed hours thus forcing me to attend the course regularly ( 3 times a week/ 1h30 per course).

Thank you all for your feedback. I've been 1 day back into the diet !

9. James

James Host

Well if that's precedent, you have a goal then.

I'll admin-vote to reject the goal, and then you can make edits to the goal.
    The edit process is:
    1. Edit the goal with Thread Tools -> Edit Goal
    2. Check it's changed the goal.
    3. Hit resubmit.
    So these are the parts you need to address:
    1. The goal description (choose the fixed number you're confident you could hit if you pushed yourself)
    2. The action commitment: "never miss" is still putting the concept of missing a training session into your head, and we don't know how many training sessions you're committing too, and how long / how many sets in each training session. So we need to see numbers on those points too.
    3. Set the completion date for in 10 weeks
    Then looks like we have a solid goal.

10. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal resubmission expired.

This goal was not resubmitted within the allowed time (48 hours), and has been cancelled.

11. James

James Host

The robot has spoken, @norbulak.

A reminder that this is a serious community. A place of work. There's no room for indecision and tardiness: goals get started or they get cancelled.

If you're seriously ready to commit, start a new Fitness goal thread, containing what I mentioned, and add a link to this thread as the "original".

12. norbulak

norbulak New Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Oh yeah, just didn't get 2 minutes to myself these past 2 days. I am serious about this, I've started dieting since I first created this thread. I shall create a new thread with the revised goal. Will pay more attention, thanks for the heads-up.

Tom and James like this.