1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Goal Building an MVP for February

Discussion in 'Money' started by Fundinn, Dec 25, 2017.

Goal: Own a working MVP by February. by February 4, 2018 (finished)

100%

Completed

Member Fundinn commits to the following actions to achieve this goal

Work 8 hours a day, six days a week on the product.
Make public weekly annoucements of my progress.

1. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Approval

Thanks to the fruitful brainstorming session I am ready for my goal. My goal is to have a working prototype by the first week of February.

Every Sunday, I will post a list or a calendar of each week along with screen shots of the state of the product to give you guys a sense of what's been done.

2. James

James Host

@Fundinn awesome, looks good.

My one criticism is we need an idea of what the scope of your MVP is. You've likely already have written it out yourself (keeping the scope tight is real important), but if you could share something from it with us (like "system can accept a customer"), it will help us rate your result and keep you accountable to a specific result.

3. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Thanks for the feedback James. I wasn't sure how much I should involve the community in content-specific details as to keep the focus on realization.

A user will be able to register with his e-mail by going on a landing page that lists basic information such as what the product is, how much it costs, testimonials... etc. Then, get a confirmation e-mail to access a 'builder'. Within the builder he will get to set different parameters through a form. The changes will be reflected in a side-pane, live previewing the changes. The form will behave in such a way that some features will be locked unless they upgrade.

This includes the payment portal.

I'm excluding fleshing out the actual text and making the website language-independent. I will deal with marketing when I have something workable that people can play around with. You are absolutely correct about keeping the scope tight. I have defined the boundaries and any good idea that doesn't affect the main path is written down and set aside until the main aspects are dealt with.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    norbulak and James like this.
  4. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal approved!

The community voted to approve this goal as Doable and SMART.
    Now, do your best to succeed! Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 31 Dec 2017.

5. norbulak

norbulak New Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Sounds like you're moving forward! I Wish you the best!

6. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal update is due.

Please submit an update on your goal progress.

7. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Progress:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/psikgy3bonn8zu2/week1.mp4?dl=0

Couple of details that I omitted as I did this off the cuff:
    Put in an average of 6 hours a day.
    Tasks done:
    -Integrate template with the web framework.
    -Add login/registration
    -Started work on the page clients use to have their needs met.
    -Wrote tests for quality assurance

Also, I said I wasn't doing it for the money, but I meant that meeting the customer needs and making sure the product is what I think about most often when working on this. Of course, a business that doesn't generate profit isn't a business, so that remains an important point of focus.

P.S @James if you could delete my previous post, I messed up and made it a regular post instead of a goal update. Thanks.

Voting on this update has closed.

James likes this.
  8. James

James Host

@Fundinn, solid start, & interesting idea with the vlog which includes demoing, could be a good precedent for others who want to "maximally report". Yes the action is falling short of the target hours. But progress looking good.

9. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: The previous update has been rated.

The score was: 4.00.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 07 Jan 2018

10. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Look forward to the screenshots man!

11. Gort

Gort Robot

12. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Week 2. Worked on the parts I knew were going to be more challenging(technically speaking). There's a custom form component involving dates that needs special client-side and server-side validations. Spent most of the week making that component and writing tests for it. Otherwise, cleaned up stuff that was going to slow me down this week. Felt very professional and practically killed anything that "didn't get me closer to my goal" on my calendar. Except for social outings, I want to keep myself available for meeting in real life haha... and exercise...

I went out on Thursday night and Saturday night. I refrained from drinking too much on Thursday, but ended up somewhat tipsy for some odd reason. I advanced on Friday, but my concentration was off, a bit. On Saturday I limited myself to two beers and got the usual pestering, but I kept my word and that's all that matters, felt good for Sunday.

Quick video:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/y9xhogjlrma702l/week2.mp4?dl=0

I think I said I was doing between 4 and 9 hours, but it's more between 4 and 11 hours. I'm going to set a timer to track my time more consistently... this week.
    @Tom I'll put up some screen shots for week 3!

Voting on this update has closed.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  13. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    I'm not that knowledgeable about software dev, but it looks like you are making good progress. I'm excited to see screen shots as well!

I love the vlog format, you definitely sold me on it and now I'm excited to try it out later down the line. It's probably really good practice for presenting something, even casually, since you know you have an audience.

Have you thought about adapting it to a weekly hour count rather than daily? I find if I set out to spend x amount of time on something for days in a row it feels super easy to get derailed, like you get to a point where you can't possibly fit the hours you wanted in by the end of the day, so you kind of give in a little bit. Or you get so hung up on the time management that it starts to affect your productivity. I found that just saying "ok I want this much done by the end of the week" gave me way more freedom to concentrate on the project at hand. Of-course we all work differently though, just my 2 cents.

I'm looking forward to see how the product turns out!

14. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Thanks Jack! Every bit of support makes me more accountable to delivering on my words.

I realized the potential of making videos when I recorded myself during sparring sessions and for my toastmasters speeches. I've been enjoying it; helps you see what kind of fillers you use in your casual talking as well.

I see your point. I like the suggestion of planning on content instead of doing it purely on daily hours. It might make me feel less guilty if I have a productive day that lasted 7 instead of 8 hours. Perhaps I have been too quantitative... thanks for that. As far as going from days to weeks, I want to be in the 40+ hours zone.

15. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Regarding your video - bruh you need time off! You seem motivated, I'm sure you are taking breaks when you need them.

Yeah the vlog was class. Do you just sign up to dropbox, upload, and link the vid?

I like @Jack 's idea too about the weekly hours. Keeps it fluid and you can do more work when pumped and take a break when flagging.

16. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    For real we should try and encourage this, imagine how cool it would be to have everyone uploading updates as vlogs and getting to watch them all each week.

I don't know I think it's more about optimising your own workflow as the project develops. Different things work for different people! You could try moving from daily to weekly hour goals for one week and see if it helps, if not then it's unlikely a switch back or trying something else will affect productivity.

Tom likes this.
  17. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: The previous update has been rated.

The score was: 4.50.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 14 Jan 2018

18. James

James Host

Breaks are for "tactical burnout-avoidance" only :) . If you have any spare capacity, into the work it goes. Such is the way of future winners.

zanemwarwick likes this.
  19. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I like that xD

20. Gort

Gort Robot