1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Goal Building an MVP for February

Discussion in 'Money' started by Fundinn, Dec 25, 2017.

Goal: Own a working MVP by February. by February 4, 2018 (finished)

100%

Completed

Member Fundinn commits to the following actions to achieve this goal

Work 8 hours a day, six days a week on the product.
Make public weekly annoucements of my progress.

1. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Result

February 4th. Time for a review.

The day I started the challenge I had nothing. Today, I have a local website that can effectively perform it's task, that is to generate pages for personal coaches, tutors, small businesses, etc of this world. I spent two days building up my stack on a shared host that I used for my blog, but I kept running into memory failures. I took some time to think about this and I'll be going for a cloud-based hosting service. It's a matter of repeating the process on this new host, which I plan on writing about because the last set of instructions from the host dates back to a year and some things have changed. I'm thinking that on Tuesday it will be online.

Once it's online I'll show this alpha site to a bunch of friends, get their input. And see to do a couple of approaches in my neighborhood, there's a couple of small businesses here that I have in mind. I want my friends to try it out so that I can take my camera and generates assets as well. Currently, the website uses a bunch of placeholders, that needs to be done. I'd like to have testimonials from there as well.

My longest streak was 36 days of coding during the course of this challenge. I averaged out about 35 hours a week, excluding times that I spent learning or taking online courses to ramp up.

I had a tumultuous week overall. I went on a date and I went out four times. I woke up slightly hungover and decided to build an online resume(linked at the bottom), at one party I met people who had interesting work in my field and they want to refer me. I figured having that website would be a good way to show off what I do. I don't know how I feel about working full-time, but I'm not opposed to the idea of going for an interview and feel it out.

I want to give myself a couple of days to think about this. I accepted a small contract that I estimated would take me 25 hours to complete to earn some cash.

Video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rpxiy7hriy360pb/feb4.mp4?dl=0

Resume website(work in progress): http://coaltober.com/

Voting on this result has closed.
    Tom and James like this.
  2. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Nice work man, nothing surprising about the amount of work you put in - you've got some admirable determination and discipline.

I'm not sure about working full time - if you can get this project going then it could be a great form of passive income. What could be optimal would be to work part-time/freelance and keep developing your MVP as you go, until it grows to a point where you no longer need a part-time job.

Damn, a coding-monkey at heart; that's not the first thing I'd be doing after a piss-up - props to you.

Fundinn likes this.
  3. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I share similar feelings. What's keeping me on the fence is that at my previous job I had written a bunch of scripts that automated a good amount of my work and I had insurance. So going to work pretty much meant half-days off.*

After reading Tim Ferris's 4-hour work week, I could further optimize my time at the workplace. It's also a question of loneliness. If it wasn't for boxing and my other social circles I'd be practically alone 95% of the time. I remember back in college where my only conversation would be saying "Hi and Bye" to the grocery clerk. We'll see how it pans out.

* It took a few months of hard work to get the system in place, though.

Haha, I know where that's coming from. To be fair, I started seeing programming as puzzle-solving, I should enjoy myself. I used to feel defeated looking at the amounts of work I needed to do, but shit, it's the actual doing that brings in the motivation.

4. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Your resume is sick. The presentation works really well, it's all immediately readable but it doesn't feel impersonal like you might think because there isn't a big long "About me" slapped on the front.

As for the job opportunity yeah, no reason not to check it out and see what the offer is. Also if the job offer is going to put you in a better position to deliver a great end product it might be worth consideration. It does seem like you already have a ton of dev experience though, not to mention dedication/commitment, an attractive job offer might be nice for the stable income but it's going to cost your personal project resources. I'm certain you've already considered all this though ahah

Personally I would say, if you can reliably get contract work, split your time equally between working freelance to support yourself while working on your project.

If it's the loneliness that's stopping you from staying freelance maybe you could find a collaborative work space and commute to work there, would probably be solid for networking as well?

You definitely achieved your goal dude, congratulations.

5. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: The result has been rated.

Congratulations on following this goal to the end!

The average goal result rating was: 4.50 (Grade: A — Surpassed goal).

Updates Report
    Total updates submitted: 5 of 5
    Average update rating: 3.80 (Large action towards goal)

Next Steps
    Well done! Your action taking was strong and it paid off! Continue this good work.

6. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Thanks for the feedback @Jack.

To be honest I had something else in mind, there's a really cool plugin that let's you create tiles with seamless backgrounds, but I was like : "Do I really want to spend 50 hours working on this thing?" haha.

Last Friday I met a guy who asked a girl how he should answer back to a message on tinder. That's a great way for him to dis-empower his decision making abilities and to offload them to someone else. Here's what he was actually saying : "I have no idea what I am doing, I am afraid to commit, I'll take advice from a random stranger because I'm dependent and I can't grow balls.". I smiled at the girl facepalming and she looked back at me with a wry smile knowing exactly what was up haha.

It's the same with big-ass "about me" pages. Making a statement to validate what you are about. If you knew what you were, it would simply show off through your work/portfolio. I am always impressed by artists who apply for a job and tell me that "I got ten thousand more of these sketches, check it out." That tells me he's hustling. And he's good at it.

For sure, I'll see if there's room for negotiating special terms if things get that far.

There's a pretty cool meetup I joined called Code N Coffee. I'm going to see what it's about. Thanks again for your feedback.

James likes this.
  7. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I enjoyed this anecdote thoroughly. I quite enjoy observing other men's mistakes because it makes me appreciate that I've actually made progress. Being able to find faults in others can help you identify faults in yourself because you're seeing them from an outside perspective. You can think you yourself "damn, that shit's pretty cringe", then realize you sometimes do the same and can therefore correct yourself.

It's impressive that you don't get lonely (do you?). I imagine however that it's difficult to get lonely when you're so occupied by something you find so interesting. I recall wanting space from my ex when I was getting my teeth in a programming assignment. Fill your time with shit you enjoy and you'll find you have little time to spend on socializing with others, I guess.

Sounds pretty dope actually. Hopefully there are a few strong/attractive men there that can be used to expand your social circle. I've learned that if you're going to be doing something isolated (whether that be in regards to working for yourself or in a small company), you gotta find shit outside of that company to do. That's why living in a city helps, since there are so many opportunities outside of work to help expand your social circle/meet women.

James likes this.
  8. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Yeah, as long as it doesn't come from a condescending place. I'm still not too good at verbalizing how a given date went. I had this long conversation with my older boxing friend and he told me : "What do you want?. I was stumped. Don't know? Another good question: "What is it you don't want?".

I've fixed those issues lately and it does wonders to remove any ambiguity off my back. I won't settle for crap, nor will I act like I can be everything to everyone, which is tiresome as fuck. Then I weave those beliefs into a bunch of stories and the girl starts to get a subconscious picture of what I am about. It's great. The story-teller mindset is super fun to play around with. So you are right, knowledge is fuel to application. We reap what we sow. Maybe not today, or tomorrow will it but apparent, but life has a way to pay you back somehow. And those days are glorious.

Bruce Lee has a quote: "Loneliness is only an opportunity to cut adrift and find yourself. In solitude you are least alone."

I guess I went ahead of myself when I wrote that. I'm not feeling lonely, I'm pretty involved in my life and I am blessed by good social circles. What I wanted to say is that last month I came from a "Tim Ferris mindset": Automate your job away and live off of the system. I come to realize that what I really value is doing great work with great people. Freelance is a nice opportunity to learn to do everything, but to have lunch with people who work on a single vision is another one. I also believe in another quote: "If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go with friends."

Perhaps I'm feeling the marathon weariness. It's non-avoidable to some degree. I would benefit from working with someone who's cross-discipline is marketing & sales. People have great ideas, I'm here to execute on them.

That's nice. The backwards law of not giving them what they want is quite effective. Do you have anything you are devoted too right now?

Absolutely. My #1 priority is to leave my parents house(quite possibly a goal in the future for these forums!). It's playing with my confidence. I've spent a lot of money traveling, and it is time to deal with the consequences. Thanks for the comments Shaney, always a pleasure.

9. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Of course - one must look non-judgmentally toward the mistakes of others, but instead with an eye of interest.

I like that. Honestly, asking such a simple question can really help identify the shit in your life that's making it shit. From here you're now able to start making those changes to improve your life. I think this is more helpful than most would think, since people are constantly striving for more and more, whereas it's probably more helpful to first weasel out the things that are negatively affecting their lives. After they've removed a few things, they realize they didn't need x or y in the first place.
    Hence minimalism.

And funnily enough, once you start being your own man, and stop people-pleasing, girls find you much more attractive due to you integrity and congruence. A woman wants a brick wall, not someone who's conformative. The same applies for friends etc..

I anticipate cultivating a friend group that consists of strong men. Having people around you who inspire you must be fucking ace - being able to learn from people each day, absorbing some of their attractive traits as your friendship develops, helping eachother grow.

Yes, but Bruce Lee had an incredibly solid mission and drive toward that mission. When your mind's lost at sea, you can quickly drown in the waves of confusion and aimlessness. It's important to find that lighthouse, and find it quick.

Ehh, I'd say I'm devoted to the gym, but am not enjoying it as much as I used to. I guess it's because I don't have a girlfriend who's touching me up each day and complimenting me, and am not getting IOIs from girls as I walk down the street.

Now, that above sentence can be responded with "well you should be doing it for yourself, and nobody else. It's part of your mission and doing it for the validation of others is needy." You wouldn't be incorrect in saying that, and I'm happy to admit that I'm not at a point where I can garner the same amount of pleasure from the gym when it's helping me get girls, and when it's having little effect in my day-to-day life. That doesn't mean I'm giving it up, and I'm sure that, when back at Uni, I'll be more than thankful for keeping it up.

10. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    This week I uploaded my website. I put up a special page that requires a password for global access. That in turn gave me a chance to setup a google analytics account which gives stats on an individual's web page. I'm taking a small break now. I did some 'game'. Met about 9 women in two days. I didn't feel that interested in getting to know them better, but it was nice to see how I led conversations and if I could keep them interested. For fun, I looked at the difference of approaching them within three seconds and doing it after three seconds, got some interesting results.

I got reached out by a friend who's other friend needs a web developer for two weeks on a project. I'll pick it up as I spend some time thinking about my own project. I learned about this new philosophy called the JAM Stack which is taking the world of web by storm. I spent the last two days looking into it and I think it's very promising. I want to spend more time delving into this new approach as I think it would benefit me for future contracts and perhaps business opportunities. There's a really small company working on automatically dispensing alcohol at events that is really small and I think it's worth my time to do some stuff for them.

Have you thought of ways you could stay in shape aside from lifting weights? I stopped going to the gym eight years ago when I discovered boxing. Never been in better shape and never had a motivation problem doing group workouts.

Sports are game-changers, they get you to socialize, there's mutual respect and a natural bond that forms with you and whoever you are playing with. Heck, you get fit while playing a game.

Well Shaney, I don't know about that. You can totally do things for someone else. It's a question of re-framing it. In this case, you might be working out to represent the healthy male model in a future relationship. Which in turn points to your willingness to put time and sacrifice towards the idea of protecting your loved ones*. I don't think soldiers go to war for themselves. They do it for a higher purpose(hopefully).

*One of the four triggers of IOI's.

11. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Standard cold approaches around town?

I've started up BJJ, which I'm finding very enjoyable. Being in a group of strong males, I believe, helps re-align my frame and confidence. It's also been a good barometer to measure my development: Even though I'm the new guy, I already know everybody's name and have banter with the guy who runs it. I've found that, since being "thrown into the deep end" after my relationship, I've almost naturally been able to socialize and be my congruent self around new people.

From my little experience, I can completely see where you're coming from. Going to the gym is generally very isolating. However, when partaking in a sport, whether it be a martial art or otherwise, you're automatically part of a group, and can affect the group dynamic. It's also a great means to meeting new people with the same interest.

Hmm, very true. I think at my current stage I've only got myself to do things for, generally speaking (gym, guitar, wanting to develop sexual comfortability), however, I can even appreciate how those things can be reframed:-

Gym: I will gain strength and size in order to serve as a better protector for my future family. Friends and loved ones will feel safe around me and I will induce inspiration in others.

Guitar: I will advance to a skill-level where I am able to perform in front of others. This will help others feel a sense of joy and will inspire others to pick up an instrument and listen to different genres of music/artists.

Sexual comfortability: Where women would once gain interest then lose it, I will become 'man' enough where women are now able to reciprocate sexual expression, meaning that they too will experience more joy and I will help develop them due to the relationships they will have with me.

Damn, I see the power of reframing such things... I'd never thought of it like that and I found that exercise quite useful...

12. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    This week I had a phone interview which is leading to an on-site interview Tuesday for a job. I'll see how much room for negotiations I have depending on the interview. This is also putting me on hold until Tuesday as to know what I would do next depending on the outcome of this meeting.

I'm thinking of my finances and this would bring stability to my situation as I keep working on my product. A while ago I talked to the owner of a gym facility who thinks there's a lot of potential for a system he could use to better manage the gym, he isn't the first one to have expressed this need so I'm looking at that with some amount of interest as well(Another friend knows several gym owners who had expressed similar needs). I remain open to ideas. The MVP did not get as much attention as I wanted it to have, but I'll see to have it tested by a friend this week.

In the mean time, I accepted to work on a contract for an agency. I think it's two days worth of work, but they are in a difficult position and need help asap. I'd like to set some new goals soon, the fog will clear up Tuesday.

No, there was a 50 years celebration of a cooking academy in my city. It's much easier to game in that context since all I have to do is ask the girls what brought them to the event, how they found out about it, what is their favorite recipe(in this context). To be fair, it was jam-packed and since there were a lot of lines, I took advantage of being stuck with people in line. That way I could start a casual conversation knowing that no one is going nowhere.

That's great man. Have you noticed how your confidence grows as you learn to deal with your environment and the people within it?

Damn Shaney, way to go. Those are real good frames of reference. You know, if you have a map of Detroit and you are in Nashville you ain't going nowhere no matter how hard you try. Re-framing is noticing that you are holding a map that isn't useful in this space. It doesn't mean it's a bad map, it's just not going to cut it for what you are going through/doing at this time. Nietzsche used to say "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how." That's kind of where this whole framing concept comes from. When we give ourselves purpose(the why), all of a sudden, it doesn't sound too bad to get shit done.

I'm working on this project right now that is not inspiring, but I value good service to my clients. So I don't mind getting it done.

James likes this.
  13. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Waiting for an important meeting Monday(tomorrow) to make my new goals as they depend on that.

Tom and James like this.
  14. James

James Host

Good luck in the meeting

15. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Looking forward to your next goal man!