1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Brainstorming Comfort-Zone Breaking Challenge

Discussion in 'Misc' started by Fundinn, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Hey guys, I contracted some nasty flu lately, it turned into a sinusitis which brought episodes of brain fog and loss of smell/taste. I think that next week I will have mostly recovered from this, I'm feeling 70% better.

And with that winter is almost over, it's a good time to talk about setting up a new challenge.

In the name of fun and games, I'd like to perform micro-challenges for a month that will raise my heart rate, make me feel a tad uncomfortable, and throw me into unusual situations. Here's a couple of them that I have in mind right now:

- Do 40 minutes of tai chi in china town on my own(bonus points, wearing a kung fu dress).
    - Do 50 burpies in a random public space(at a subway station for example).
    - Interview 20 strangers in the city on a made-up survey of my choice(10 male, 10 female)*.
    - Participate in an improv class.
    - Draw a 'free hugs' sign and use it for 20 minutes anywhere crowded.
    - Attend a meetup I have zero understanding of or that I deem to be strange.
    - Be Rocky Balboa for a day(2 hour jog to work, 45 minutes of rope skipping at noon, 1 hour of jogging to the boxing club, 2 hours of boxing and finishing with a one hour jog home).
    - Smile and keep natural eye contact in public transit and when walking outside for 30 consecutive days.
    - One hour of game, every saturday.

If you guys have other ideas feel free to put them here. I would start in May or Mid-may when the weather gets mild. I would either tape myself or take pictures of the results. I'll select items and build a schedule around them to commit to a roadmap.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Tom likes this.
  2. James

James Host

Interesting. Does it have a further purpose or intent?

3. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Fuck yeah, this is some good shit.
    Doing shit like this just makes you feel good while doing it, because you know you're growing just as you're doing the activity.

I may steal an idea or two for future use.

Make sure you're not too afar when you're doing your free hug stuff, as I gotta make the most of that ;)

4. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Great question. It's hard to describe. The past five years have been pretty inconsistent. I believe in the following law:

If you give input X you get result Y. Therefore, if you keep giving X, you will keep getting Y.

I am looking at areas in my life that have been neglected and to build up actions that can help me move in a different direction. In other words, change the input to get a different output... because if I keep living like this I already know what the next decade has in store for me: mediocre results. Some areas of my life are great and I don't want to change a thing, but others need catering. I've often said to myself "I am too cool for that", when really the deep subconscious mind in me was saying "This will feel awkward and I don't want people to judge me, I don't want that attention... I am a wimp.".

So the purpose is to act in unfamiliar ways to break out of some nasty latent habits that won't budge without proper action. It will help me loosen up, and hopefully accept my humanity.

My uncle, whom I didn't know much, always had women around him, and I knew why. He was okay with fucking up and laughing about it. He would pursue a woman and wouldn't mind looking dependent, it was romantic and ballsy; it made life interesting. That's something I can envision for myself and it brings warmth to my chest.

What does 'too afar' mean? Thanks for the support! That one I dread quite a bit, I think that I am attached to a cold, stoic macho image haha.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  5. James

James Host

Ah I see so it's agitation work.

That's actually what I recommend to people who feel stuck in a rut (but can of course be used in other situations). Precisely for the reason you mentioned: to change X you must change Y, even without clarity on what Y should be (which is why I call it 'agitation').

With them I recommend small to begin with, like changing bus routes, hanging out at a different district, changing around anything that is usual (like cafes). Then some of the midrange stuff you mentioned (like a meetup). Haven't recommended anything hardcore like free hugs though, but those guys aren't anywhere near ready to do that anyway.

So anyway, the goal is fuzzy, so I suppose to make it measurable/results oriented, your result submission could be a report on how you think the goal work has changed your outlook or expanded you, etc. Then the vote could be on if we agree it caused some improvement.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  6. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    That you're not so far away from where I am, so I can get a free hug ;). Perhaps my grammar didn't make sense, and I used the word 'afar' incorrectly.

7. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Hahaha man this sounds like a class idea xD

8. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Interesting way to put it, I'll have to use that in the future if I ever go over this topic with people.

Yes absolutely, start small! With the new job, which happens to be in a new neighborhood, I've done most of the small things you talk about. Come to think of it, I've done some items on this list in the past, I'm pretty open to new experiences, it's just hard for me to stay interested in the long run, so I'll meet a lot of people, but it doesn't stick. Which makes me think of something, I'm rarely the initiator for activities, maybe that's a point I want to address as well.

I also find talking to people pretty easy. Last night I struck a conversation with an old women in the bus about street signs and another older woman at a concert venue about the punk rock show we listened to. It's like, if there's eye contact or curious glances coming my way, I'll put myself out there.

Sound good James, I'll make sure that's outlined when I create the goal. I'm glad I'm brainstorming the idea, I feel like I'm coming off as a calculated individual, so it doesn't always leave room for challenging my thoughts.

Hah, well... I'll start with showing up and making it happen first.

On a side note, a week ago in transit I saw a skinny Caucasian teenager wearing makeup and a Tibetan outfit distributing pamphlets for some religion. I figured that, no matter how delusional he might have been, he's still there, doing his thing. I can respect that. We can't let the judgments of other people get the better of us... which is too often the case.

For example, some queer guy at work asked me about my living situation. I was sitting with about 9 other co-workers and I told them I was living with my parents. He has this loud stringent voice, when he heard that he repeated my answer out loud in a state of shock(made it look worse than it really was... as far as I was concerned).

Then I just heard all of the remarks from the other girls sitting at the table. I stayed cool and decided I wouldn't justify or rationalize my situation with them, I barely know them anyways, whatever it was, it was not going to alter my sense of worth. Then some other girl stayed around and got really curious about my situation. It was cool, cause I know that she felt like I was okay with the fact that my life was a bit strange. In any case, I didn't make any excuses and I demonstrated integrity, it was a lot harder to pull off on the spot than I thought. In the back of my mind, I was about to make up a lie and "sweep it all under a carpet".

Across the table, sat the chick that has been shit-testing me for a couple of weeks. I can't remember in detail, but she was shocked as well, I thought it was hilarious. I'm doing my best not to mix work with this bs though right now. I like the job so I don't see mingling do me any good right now(could be wrong, but that's how it is for now).

There are plenty of women elsewhere.

9. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I guess they will have friends.... Who knows what could happen. Maybe keep keep mingling but strictly mingling for now?