1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Goal Finishing the first half of the school year successfully & deliberately practicing for competitions

Discussion in 'Misc' started by Kostadin, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    The reason why I've decided this goal should only cover the first half of the school year is that maybe by the middle of 11th grade I will have some clarity as to what I want to be studying at university and therefore have to invert my focus in another direction.

The school year started three weeks ago. And so far - so good actually. I don't remember having such a head start in a long time. I'll easily finish the entire school year with full As if I just stick to the mandatory studies, however, my plans for later on in life require me to do more than the minimum at the current moment.

I'll take pictures of the class book with the marks and make an online sheet them by the end of next week. As stated in the action commitment, I'll be keeping an eye on them with the intention of prioritizing properly.

Last year I went to there competitions - in English, Chemistry and Philosophy. This year I'll switch Chemistry for Programming. My reasons for going to the said competitions and why they will be beneficial to me:
    English - It's self-evident. The overall level of the competition will be C1, and as I'm currently preparing to take the C2 exam, this year I am dead set on getting to the 3rd stage.
    Philosophy - It's going to help with my literacy in Bulgarian (which is really good actually, especially when compared to others') and after the end of 12th grade I have to take a exam in Bulgarian, it's the way our education system works. I also have to take a second exam, but the choice of the subject this time lies in me, but there's time for this.
    Programming - I've been thinking about the branch of computers and technology for quite a while. And while the competition format is a lot different than what actual programming is (basically solving mathematical problems), even if I change my mind at the end, I think it will be a good exercise for my brain. And the other options for education I've been thinking about also include mathematics more or less, so it's a win-win.

Aside from all of this, I've decided to organize my day in a semi-strict schedule that can be characterized by the mantra "Responsibilities come first, fun comes afterwards." The schedule itself:

For me the measure of success for this goal is if I need not take time from my other activities (sports, leisure & hobbies time) in order to catch up with my studies. This may be inevitable once or twice, as life happens, but last year there was an entire month when I couldn't find time to workout. (partly because of studying, partly because of procrastination)

return 0;

2. James

James Host

Sounds solid; but keep your focus on nailing the C2 until it's done. Focus is the core of a man's self-improvement power, due to the power law.

For programming: it's an interesting idea, just see how your aptitude is regarding it. I've noticed a big difference in aptitudes in people between machine language and natural languages. If you're someone who learns natural languages rapidly, there's money to be made there too.

3. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    For now my only focus is indeed on taking the exam.
    And I have been interested in programming for a little while. My attitude towards it is kind of similar to maths - I see it as a task, at the end of which I feel rewarded for my work. (which I really like compared to studying stuff by heart) Now whether or not I have a talent for it is something that we will find out together by the end of the goal. (in the other post)

4. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I like how you keep a reserve for not being sure about what you want to study in University, I think it will come off as less of a shock if you do indeed, realize that the branches you were studying weren't up fulfilling you. Gary Vaynerchuk says that we should be comfortable exploring, taking risks and doing unexpected things all the way up to our 30's, where we can rack up experience. Don't believe people who would stir fear in you by telling you that your path is fixed once you've chosen it.

Sounds like you had time if you put the blame on habits of procrastination. Think about the long-term effect of procrastination, it rarely has anything to do with the vision you want for yourself in the long run.