1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Brainstorming First job

Discussion in 'Money' started by Kostadin, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    When I first took a look at the forum topics, I though if I was even going to post something here, it was going to be years down the line. Of course, life knows when to surprise us. In Bulgaria, adolescents who have turned 16 have the option to work legally. And I think it's time I get some work experience.

A friend of mine worked at the museum of aviation near the airport the last year. They have a deficit of personnel and need young, energetic, responsible, knowledgeable people. And this is where I enter the story.

Today I was at my first job interview. I went to the museum (which is an outside exhibition), talked with one of the main guys there, he gave me a short tour, we asked each other questions. I have to accept or decline the job until the end of the week.

The job involves both being a guide in the museum, as well giving a bit of information about the city's landmarks. The salary is ~500 Leva (the minimal wage per month), a bit more than 315 USD. It's done in shifts - 9 to 13 and 13 to 21. It's not necessary that I work there the whole summer, I can also do it for a single month for example. I currently don't have any other options, but it's not too late to look for something else. (but I still have to decide for this one by the end of the week) It's not necessary that I work at all this summer, there isn't a money problem, is more the experience that interests me.

Pros:
    - the money is good enough for me;
    - the job will involve a lot of communication with people, which is a great challenge for a stay-at-home guy like me;
    - I have a good friend there, who will help me get into everything fast.

Cons:
    - I have to commute 30 minutes from my home to the museum;
    - I sweat when it's 10 C, working outside during the hottest days, especially during the 2nd shift seems like experiencing Hellâ„¢ light edition for me;
    - the main language of communication will be Russian, and to make sure I won't be making fun of myself, I will need to focus really hard on the language in the next two months - something that will require a lot of time, potentially enrolling on a "intensive" course, which will be stressful;
    - my small social life will likely cease to exist while working there, as I also want to keep on working out hard, study for a C2 certificate in English later this year and some other stuff.

Give me your thoughts.

2. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Will it help pull you toward any greater goals? Are there alternatives that relate to your ambitions that would thus be more suitable?

If speaking Russian is something you'd like to be able to do, then this presents an external pressure which would encourage the learning of the language.

Look for alternatives and compare against this job. Weigh up the pros and cons and make a final decision. You've presented only one option here.

3. James

James Host

I'd vote: take it.

Given you haven't had a job before at all, you'll be getting required life experience no matter what job it is. This job sounds good enough for that purpose.

And remember: you have no obligation to stay there. Feel free to move on the moment you see a better opportunity.

4. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Since 90% of the Russians are lazy bastards, who think that everyone must speak their language and they shouldn't lift a finger to learn even basic English, knowing Russian as a person of Slavic decent is super important and useful. And well, they have money.
    Getting employment in Bulgaria as an adolescent (as a seasonal worker) is about two things:
    1. Being able to speak 2, if possible 3 languages at a very good level.
    2. Having friends who can place you on a good position.

Honestly, my only real alternative at the current moment is to be waiter at a buffet in a hotel. I'll have to travel at least 45 minutes to get to the nearest resort to do something a robot with good enough programming can do. It doesn't sound fun.

I think working for a single month, or a month and a half is what I'm looking for. Some teenagers here work something to "fill up the blank space" in their summer. I instead see it as a big portion of free time I can use in a productive way. I'll talk to the manager tomorrow or on Saturday. I think I'm going to take the job.

P.S.: The shifts are not 9-13 and 13-21, but 9-15 and 15-21. @James, is it intentional that we can't edit the posts after a certain period of time has passed?

James likes this.
  5. James

James Host

Yes, as most forums seem to have an edit time window to give finality to posts (people don't notice what's edited).

6. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I just wanted to let you know that I will not be taking this job. And most likely I won't work at all this summer. I, however, have some other ideas in mind and will experience the summer break in a productive and benefiting for me way.