1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Brainstorming Get a first in my degree.

Discussion in 'Money' started by Tom, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    So I'm currently in my 4th year of my geology integrated masters. I've noticed discipline has been lacking lately and partly a response to actually having some form of a social life for the first time in my life.

This year I have a third year module with an additional 5 credit literature review and a 15 minute seminar open to anyone. I'm busy working on these. The literature review is due in on the 16th March (2000 words) and seminar after Easter with no set date.

This is going OK.

My masters is 10,000 - 15,000 words due in 10th May. I'm sat on a 2000 with my lab work done and plots/graphs nearly done. I have microscope work to finish, lit review to finish and temperature and pressure calculations, methodology and conclusion left to do.

So this is all my work from now till graduation. I want a first and I just need to maintain 70%. Currently sat on 77% after my recent grades (Christmas exams) for 30 credits with 15 credits worth of marks yet to come out.

So I just need standard firsts.

To get this, I need to hit that 10,000 words on my report before Easter break which starts 21st March. This is an insane goal so I'm thinking hitting 8000 with a brutal proof read and word cull over (lose 1000 words) Easter then finish of the words in April. Trouble is I have the third year module work due in soon, with more work coming on the 16th after the literature review submission.

Essentially as of starting this goal, I need to do 500 words a day on my masters project. This is going to be insane but it will put me ~3000 words ahead of the masters cohort.

I'll start the goal tomorrow with adjustments made from the feedback.

So

Goal: 8000 total word count by 2st March
    Action: 500 words a day on my masters.
    Additional 1-2 hours of the third year module a day. The literature review for it is well underway. I can have screen shots of the word count of day 1 and word count on goal update date and continue this as evidence.

Edit: Thought of some more actions.

Awake at 8. Get the 9.18 train into uni every weekday to maximise the ours I have to work. (currently been sleeping in and missing earlier trains)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  2. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Sounds like a challenge, could be worth reviewing after a week or two to see how you're hitting your daily writing goals. If not consistent, an alternative is to have a weekly target, which is 3500 words, an allocate a few days to hit this goal. This may reduce stress/anxiety if you get any of that.

3. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Was thinking of an aim for the stars approach. The key is for getting the 9.18 train into uni everyday then getting the 6.49 home. I'll rack up some words then.

4. James

James Host

Is there a place where you write best? For these types of fixed-output goals I've heard guys do things like lock themselves in a hotel room and spew out words until it's done. Making sure you gather everything you need, then disabling the internet (or going somewhere there's no internet) and using a laptop with no distractions on it for hammering it out.

5. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    So I've tried the past 2 days and just got set another assignment. I think this goal isn't currently doable. I have so many papers to read before I can effectively write.

6. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Yeah, I think I'm in this 'gathering' stage.