1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Goal Get paid for freelance work.

Discussion in 'Money' started by Shaney96, Apr 20, 2018.

Goal: I will get paid for freelancing a skill I possess. by June 17, 2018 (finished)

100%

Completed

Member Shaney96 commits to the following actions to achieve this goal

I will commit 5 hours of work per week toward this goal.

1. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Approval

Work includes, and is not limited to:
    Researching websites where I can advertise myself.
    Creating cover letters/developing my CV/LinkedIn profile.
    Applying for freelance work and communicating with potential clients.
    Developing areas that are already established, but need improving for freelancing.
    Researching exactly what I can freelance and how it can be sold to a client.

One thing to note is that I do not want to strictly be programming something for some business, unless it's fashion-related. Perhaps I'm being naive in saying this, but I do not believe my future lies in the software development Universe, even though this is what my degree greatly entails.

If I can get anything fashion-related, then that's where I'd like to aim for. It may come to ending up doing some programming, and that is fine for now, since the aim here is to just get my feet wet in this world of self-employment.

2. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal approved!

The community voted to approve this goal as Doable and SMART.
    Now, do your best to succeed! Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 29 Apr 2018.

3. James

James Host

Solid goal, will be interested to hear how it pans out.

4. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    It doesn't sound naive, I mean you know where you see yourself. Creating the vision, then setting up the steps that answer the "How do I get from here to there" are tantamount.

Do you have contacts in the fashion industry? If you had points of contact in that industry it might lead to work. And if it wouldn't, you would still be engaged in that world which is a win too.

Also, believe in 'connecting the dots'. A big influence of computer fonts today happened because Steve Jobs decided to study arts(out of interest). He later applied what he had learned on the first Mac systems. I frequently think about that concept. I used to work for a shampoo company, little did I know, they dealt with models and fashion people for their branding. They did photo-shoots and organized events about style and such. If I had interest in that world, I believe it would have been easy to involve myself by expressing interest to go to the events.

And as far as work goes, I read an interesting article* about an entrepreneur in the restaurant industry, her motto was: "There are no dishes that are too dirty". I really liked that mentality**.

* I really like wealth-simple articles. They are some of the better written articles and there's no crap, it's focused on content... so I recommend it.
    ** There are limits to this. An executive who spends his time doing crappy tasks because he's a one-man show suffers from the inability to delegate tasks correctly.

5. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    None. I recently sold an garment to a guy with a very large following on IG and did some 'extra' shit to try and get a foot in the door, but to no avail.
    I do always make an effort to converse with shop employees whenever in stores. I've got some contact details from people, but this effort has not bore any fruit so far. I expect nothing from these interactions, and mainly engage in dialog simply because I enjoy talking to people and it reduces pressure on myself, so I'm of course going to continue doing so but will now put more effort into trying to push for a foot in the door.

It's funny how some seemingly small idea can turn into something so grand.. I reckon so many ideas are not pursued because people think they're idea is so insignificant. This, alongside laziness, not writing the idea down and forgetting about it, and not having a vision, are probably some of the main causes of this.

Just looked through the Elijah Wood article, I liked this: "For me, possessions have to have personal meaning, otherwise they quickly feel pointless." It reminds me of this:

"When we have meat before us and such eatables, we receive the impression, that this is the dead body of a fish, and this is the dead body of a bird or of a pig; and again, that this Falernian is only a little grape juice, and this purple robe some sheeps’ wool dyed with the blood of a shell-fish: such then are these impressions, and they reach the things themselves and penetrate them, and so we see what kind of things they are."

6. James

James Host

Value proposition.
    Find the recurring pain points of these people, have an service that addresses it, and they'll get back to you like a toothache guy gets back to a dentist. Then they'll refer others too. Then your time starts getting filled, and you start doubling your rates. Then you realize you can afford to hire other people to help, so you do. Then eventually you end up the captain, doing nothing but check heading and bark orders to the first mate. But it all starts with the first step.

Have you gone to any catwalks? Sure, laymen associate them with wacko fashion, but the big guns go there, so you never know what data you could glean by getting in and starting some conversations.

Mostly laziness unfortunately; ideas are very easy to have, but executing them means sacrificing large amounts of time and or money at significant discomfort.

The most interesting thing about Jobs is that he was originally a spiritual hippy type, but got into computers because he wanted money a spotted a quick buck. Find something that society will value ($) you for, and lights come on.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  7. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I guess don't give up with trying for contacts. I bet it's like dating - a numbers game.

I don't have much to offer with this goal, I'm only just up to realising combats aren't the best way to dress xD

James likes this.
  8. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal update is due.

Please submit an update on your goal progress.

9. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Last week I put in around 2.5 hours of work. My LinkedIn profile is up to date, and I've received some interest from a recruiter. Not pursuing the opportunity as it's unsuitable.

The other time was put into developing ideas/designs for this app I've got my mind on. I think I'll be putting more time into this since ideas bounce around my head now-and-again, and I believe there's potential, even though a shit-ton of work would need to be put in to get it released. But it's a creative outlet, and I find that I actually enjoy sitting down and working on this.

My aim for this week is to dabble around a few sites and see what sort of opportunities there are. I've already looked around Fiverr and there's not a lot that's attractive to me or that I specialize in (it's mostly website and database stuff, and I've not nearly enough experience to provide a service). I want to put more time into designing this app and learning the basics of the applications/languages needed to create apps.

Voting on this update has closed.

10. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Sound solid man. Damn, would be class if you get an app produced!

11. James

James Host

Have you done any market test work on the app idea? Or is it purely for leisure & learning?

12. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Interpreting this as 'market research', I have looked around and there's nothing exactly like it. The idea is based on another app's functionality, however I don't believe I could get fucked over for copyright since there are already many apps which 'rip-off' this functionality. I'll do more research into fashion-related apps to see if something 'too similar' exists.

I've no real inclination toward learning these different languages and programs needed to develop the app. I am also not currently enthused by the idea of it 'blowing up' and making me millions. I am instead using this as a creative outlet and as something that will help benefit me in the future.

I'm not sure how much of a creative person I am, but I found that when I was writing down ideas, I felt some excitement and clear-mindedness surge through me. I think I got a small glimpse of why artists and musicians (same thing really) do what they do. It made me realize that my creative outlet used to be coding for Uni projects.

So yeah, it's something that I believe I could financially benefit from. Furthermore, the knowledge gained from developing the app will allow me to more easily develop apps in the future, thus increasing the probability that I financially gain from this work in the future. I see it as a means to incorporate my skills in coding and my interest in fashion in a way that I find interesting, productive, and actually enjoyable. To find something coding-related that I truly enjoy is a big thing for me, as I've been pretty adamant about not wanting to do anything coding-related since being on my placement.

13. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: The previous update has been rated.

The score was: 3.40.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 06 May 2018

14. James

James Host

OK, but I don't see what it has to do with the goal.

15. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Basically I'm communicating that I'm much more interested to begin pursuing something to do with this app, rather than trying to get paid for something I feel under-qualified to do. Furthermore, since I'm not overly interested/passionate about the coding tasks requested on some freelancing sites I've found, I don't feel it beneficial to pursue this.

After looking around freelance sites, I've found:
    - Many who are working have much experience, meaning tough competition (and a lot of it).
    - More importantly, the tasks are things that just sound incredibly mundane to me, and I cannot see myself pursuing this.

I'm not giving up trying to get some income, I've just learned that being freelance for back-end coding will not be for me, and I've learned that I do have some genuine interest in developing this app.

If this completely takes away from my goal (which it kinda does), then I'd like to alter the goal.

16. James

James Host

How much research did you give it? Don't look broadly at the work going on on those sites. It's highly demotivating to stare at the froth of low-priced mundane work going on on some of them. That's just the tip of the iceberg. No winner (hirer or hiree) stays on those sites for more than a few jobs. They keep digging to find something juicy, a well-monied guy likes their work, and they move off the site and contract directly, or they refer people, or they identify a need they can target directly (personal website + service offer + internet marketing it), and it snowballs.

Yes, it's much easier and more pleasant to make something for yourself, with no pressure and without the stress of having to navigate the raw, live marketplace. But here will be the result:
    https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2322853/over-99-percent-of-apps-will-not-make-any-money
    When you started this goal, the reason was because you wanted to find an avenue to make money while you traveled. Not to have a new hobby. As always, me and the forum are here to hold you to that.

But if you nevertheless have decided to drop this commitment, then confirm this, and I'll cancel this goal so you can make a new one.

17. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    My biggest gripe with online freelance work is that you may compete with indian's and other countries that have become the mecha of out-sourced work. They are getting better at speaking english, at writing code and they keep their prices low.

It's better to find local contracts, especially for human contact. You get something done for someone you met and before you know it, he has references or more work for you. That's how it best worked out for me. I was also charging the local rate, instead of looking at the average in my domain of expertise online.

To add to that, I built a website for someone with influence for free last year. When I was done he said I had good credit at this place and I could come for free whenever I wanted. Then he said that if I was interested, he could hook me up with his other clients and it just so happened he knew half the city in his industry. It sounded horrible to do it without a wage at the start, but the benefits I reaped were unquestionable. Maybe I was lucky, but I've heard of this many times; where someone does it for free because he enjoys it and his career just grows out of it naturally.

James likes this.
  18. James

James Host

I have heard of this specific technique before. The guy did a few bits of work on elance at usual subcontinentally depressed prices, then having confirmed his skills/demand, then found a mildly famous guy, who he did his best work for, for free. Now he's no longer "some guy", he's "the guy who made Mr X's website". The result was he could independently get $10k gigs. Within months of having $100 gigs.

19. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    This is exactly what put me off when browsing through freelance websites.
    I haven't done any coding that directly relates/is all that similar to the tasks people are requesting. So not only would the learning curve be dire (and the tasks requested don't sound interesting), but then I'd be competing with people who've been at it for years.

I may have to say 'fuck it' and get learning some web shit. I'm a back-end programmer primarily, and know little about front-end, but this seems to be where the money's at, and where it's easier to start to begin with. I can't even think of how I can apply my back-end programming skills to be honest, so it might be worth the plunge getting into web..

Then doing website building and getting smaller gigs sounds like the more hopeful and beneficial way forward. I'll do some more digging this weekend before letting back-end go, however I have little/no interest in being a back-end programmer.

20. James

James Host

Have you ever been on the phone with Indian outsourced customer service? Guys with money will never outsource to that experience. Why would they? They don't have time or inclination for that. That stuff is for poor people.

A big name in the fashion space has revenues of millions per year. They don't care about the cost. They care about their todo list approaching zero. Some of these guys, you say "sure, the price is GBP10k" and they think "ah, this guy isn't a professional, I'll keep searching for a premium option".

If you want to target the fashion space with your skills or could-have skills, you need data.
    The best question to ask is always pain questions.
    "Hi, I really like your work in fashion space X. I think your name could get really big. In your opinion, what is it that holds you back for getting even bigger? / What is it that you wish you could remove from your day to day work (so you can focus on your big ideas etc)?"
    (Of course, works even better if you've got at least some small legit fashion presence, to prove your interest. Honestly I guarantee you there is one guy out there thinking "I want a dev for my big fashion project, but he needs to get it, unlike the other clueless 'dev nerds' with no fashion sense")

Especially if they have a few beers in them, they will vomit their whole woe story out. Get a few of those data points, and deliver on one good name, and you're one of those grinning young bastards in my Inspirers list.

Last edited: May 4, 2018