1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Goal Get paid for freelance work.

Discussion in 'Money' started by Shaney96, Apr 20, 2018.

Goal: I will get paid for freelancing a skill I possess. by June 17, 2018 (finished)

100%

Completed

Member Shaney96 commits to the following actions to achieve this goal

I will commit 5 hours of work per week toward this goal.

1. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal update is due.

Please submit an update on your goal progress.

2. James

James Host

Sunday already? Time flies

3. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Hours put in: 5/5

Achievements:
    - Got all the pages up with the correct format.
    - Doodled down ~8 different blog ideas with potential content.
    - Got my Instagram linked to the corresponding page.
    - Got a 'sticky header' working. Needs some tweaking.
    - Linked all categories up correctly to ensure menu system works. Also got each Category landing page setup.

Takeaways:
    - Using Wordpress takes away some freedom to do whatever you please. This is kinda obvious I know, since it's much more high-level than coding, but only this week have I faced initial frustrations when trying to do things.
    - I did plan a few things to do (such as get the categories and pages setup), however, there were times after this where I hadn't decided on what to do next. So, listening to @Fundinn , I'll ensure I make more of a plan for next week.
    - More of a general, 'life' takeaway: today I awoke at 6:45am after watching a video or two and a TRP post about early rising. Today I've been much more productive than if I had awoke at like 10:30am. The 'afternoon slump' (where you wake up late then it's like 2pm after you get ready and just sit down for work, and then don't feel like doing anything because you already feel you've wasted most of the day) is definitely real.

Goals for next week:
    - Get the 'About Me' page fleshed out. Meaning I want it completely made.
    - The the front page completely done. It currently takes a few 'Recent Posts', but I want to try and get it to take only the most recent post from each category. This may prove more difficult than I imagine it to be due to the nature of Wordpress, hence why it's its own goal, rather than being a sub-goal.
    - If I get the above two done, then this should mean the entire site is done, and I just need content. Thus, my final goal will be to create 2 blog posts.

Voting on this update has closed.

James likes this.
  4. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Christ man, absolutely nailed it this week.

Without sounding like a parent, make sure your bed time corresponds. Consecutive really early mornings kill me xD

5. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Mate, it gets to ~10:15pm and I'm fucked!

6. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    legit old fart levels? xD

7. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: The previous update has been rated.

The score was: 4.40.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 10 Jun 2018

8. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal update is due.

Please submit an update on your goal progress.

9. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Hours put in: 7/5.

Overview and other life shit:
    - Moved house Friday. Been sorting out all my shit since and getting stuff listed online. I guess I managed my time decently as I got all my hours in before Thursday.
    - Been getting up between 05:30 and 08:00 since last Sunday. Definitely getting more stuff done and I find that, once you get going, it's much easier to do the next task.
    - Now I'm back home I gotta start doing something about girls. I say 'gotta', and that sounds needy, but fuck man, it's like my subconscious mind is telling me I need to. Some say that sex is a basic requirement.. so to go like 10 months with very little contact with attractive girls is definitely getting to me. I don't think I have the bollocks to just head into town most days and cold approach, so I'm going to try Mark Manson's checklist. This includes cold approaching, but I think with building myself up and having defined goals, I'll be able to do it.

Achievements:
    - About Me page is getting there. Had trouble getting a Contact Form setup correctly. More on this in the takeaways.
    - Got two blog posts done.
    - Front Page is done. Got the Sidebar and content of the front page finished off.
    - Instagram page setup how I want. I've ideas for future improvements, but it currently serves its purpose and looks aight.
    - Got a child theme setup for custom CSS and JS. Added some custom CSS.

Takeaways:
    - I spent too much time pissing about to change the properties of the button on the Contact Form. I expected it to be easy but it took some messing about, and it still isn't exactly how I want it, but I stopped going down the rabbit hole as it was becoming something of a time-sink.
    - I'm satisfied with the two blog posts, but I will be looking for criticism (and looking at other posts) in the future, as there will always be room for improvement. As I aim to be blogging weekly, I look forward to seeing how my writing style develops.

Goals for next week:
    - Four more blog posts; one for each category without a post. There are 6 categories, meaning each will now have a post.
    - Get About Me page done and dusted.

Voting on this update has closed.

10. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I can totally sympathize. It always nags away. Easy for people to say 'live your life, forget about it, be yourself, live a happy single life, don't look for it' when they are regularly balls deep.

You could always do indirect stuff. Remember it isn't lying, it's flirting. 'Hey I was wondering if you could spare a minute, I have to meet some friends soon. I noticed your coat and it looks great on you. I run a fashion blog and wanted to just pick your brains a sec over the coat'.

Sounds like you went ham on the web page man holy shit xD Good stuff, keep it up.

Shaney96 likes this.
  11. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: The previous update has been rated.

The score was: 5.00.

No more progress updates will come due on this goal (but you can still post them).
    Your goal results will come due on Sat, 16 Jun 2018

12. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal achievement results are due.

Please submit a report on your achievement of this goal. The community will then rate your result. You can include any evidence that helps present your result.

13. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Result

Hours put in: 5/5

Right right, well, this week was okay. I underestimated the amount of time it takes to go from sitting down with no idea what to blog about, to getting a finished piece on the site. Some time was also spent getting the child theme/custom CSS sorted so I've got a standardised format throughout my posts.

The categories pages need changing, but I'm currently unsure of an easy way to do that, as they're dynamically created. Anyways, that'll be a goal for the next week or two.

The site is not at all finished, and there's plenty of work to be done. Prior to 'release' (well, before I link it to my IG), I intend to:
    - Get the categories pages formatted properly.
    - Get one blog post for each category, and have at least 2 weeks worth of blogs scheduled (assuming there's 1 released a week, this will mean 2 blog posts. Indeed, I may up the amount of blog posts depending on business/how things go - I'll play it by ear for the time being).
    - Play about with the 'Vanity' page as I'd like to somehow be able to annotate each fit and state each item's brand and what I like/dislike about the fit. Currently I'm using a plugin, and don't believe there's one out there that serves this purpose. This could be some mid-run development goal.
    - Look into SEO and advertising or whatever. My mid-/long-term goal is to build something of a personal brand, and have this as my platform.
    - Build a shop. Selling what? I'm currently unsure. Perhaps it could be another place to list what I sell.

Anyways, here's the site. Throw any criticism toward me and feel free to read a post or two (well, there's only three at the moment). I imagine my writing style, the way I format/create blogs, and how long each post will be, will develop as I go.

Anyways:

www.ramblingon.co.uk

^Unsure as to why the link doesn't work directly; I reckon that's this text editor that's formatted it strange. Anyways, it's just 'ramblingon.co.uk' so bash that into the search bar.

Voting on this result has closed.
  14. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Well, I find it very handy to have something to take notes with when I'm out. Most of my inspiration comes up at random times; when I'm waiting at a street corner or preparing dinner. There are a bunch of exercises you can do to nurture your creativity as well. One of them is about writing down ten ideas for new products/ventures a day. If you pull it off, by the end of a single month you would have 280 ideas haha.*

And you know, it's better to refrain from posting if you feel like whatever you are writing is garbage just to get something out there. It'd be better then, to write one quality article a month. And maybe have guest writers too(in the future). That could be motivating.

I like your website. Without knowing you, I can see your personality through the design.

In any case, good job man, think of where you started, you now have your own space.

* I got this from an entrepreneur who said that after a year, only one or two ideas were worth pursuing.

James likes this.
  15. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I can appreciate this being the common case. Often when I'm taking walks or whatever will ideas for things come up. I downloaded Evernote for journalling; I think I'll use it for your suggestion also.

I mean, the diet and growth posts were created faster than the music post, since I already had the idea in my head and notes written down. The music one, however, took 2 hours total as I started without even knowing what category I wanted my next post to be in.

I'll look into incorporating something sinilar. Perhaps start with one blog idea and a day, then review them on a Saturday and write it on a Sunday. I dunno, I'll get something sorted.

Awesome man, cheers. I'm glad I managed this to an extent, as the intention (eventually) is to build some sort of connection/relationship with readers.

Thanks for the feedback @Fundinn

16. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Page looks class. Love the finish!

17. James

James Host

It's definitely been a valuable goal.
    Even though it wasn't met (no freelancing payments), the pursuit of that has given you insight, and helped you come up with a new & more solid plan to pursue.

Always got to keep an eye to the money though; ultimately this blog has to start paying off at some time in the future in some way. Try checking out other blogs in a similar area, your 'competitors' so to speak, and see what they get up to. What kind of services they offer, or otherwise how they monetize their project. This could give hints at certain things that work or don't work.

Fashion-related items? You already sell those, so you have experience. And if you have a working (and good looking) online fashion shop + blog, you can then offer building of those blog/shops as a service. Plenty of people want those.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  18. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Yeah, my idea is to sell what I sell on eBay/Grailed etc., on this store. Eventually I'd really like to actually make some clothing, as I have sketches, and sell it on the site. This is something much more long-term, but I doubt it'd be over-complicated to get a basic shop setup.

For definite man. I remember last year wanting something like this, but never disciplined myself to create it as I had a very 'what's the point' perspective. I'm very glad I followed through with the goal and now look forward to new ventures.

19. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: The result has been rated.

Congratulations on following this goal to the end!

The average goal result rating was: 3.33 (Grade: C- — Marginal fail).

Updates Report
    Total updates submitted: 7 of 7
    Average update rating: 4.00 (Large action towards goal)

Next Steps
    Well done for your strong action taking! For the next goal, consider making it a bit smaller.