1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Hey, I'm Mike.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Mike_bris, Aug 9, 2018.

Goal: Run a 5k in under 30 mins. by October 3, 2018 (finished)

100%

Canceled

Member Mike_bris commits to the following actions to achieve this goal

I'll be using the "C25K - 5K Running Trainer" android app. The schedule will take 8 weeks to run a full 5k. C25K is designed to work for anyone, so this goal should definitely be achievable if I stay on track.

I'm following a beginner's programme for this goal since I've never been a top runner. I used to cycle 12km each way to work, but I haven't done any cardio for two months since I quit.

I will present proof of progress by uploading screenshots from the app.

My equipment: Adidas Pureboost shoes

1. Mike_bris

Mike_bris New Member

Goal Approval

Hey there.

I'm a 25yo dude and I live in Australia.

Let me say straight up that I am very lucky to have what I have. I was born in a great country and I have two very intelligent and hard working parents. They paid for private school and half of my living expenses during university. Everything that needs fixing in my life right now is because of the choices I made growing up.

I'm here because I want to find a sense of direction in my life. At the moment I'm unemployed, after quitting a dead-end office job two months ago. Since then I've wasted a lot of days at home doing nothing.

I have a law degree and my dad and girlfriend are strongly encouraging me to get a job as a lawyer, but practising law just doesn't excite me at all. Honestly, my favourite part of law school was writing mock letters to clients (since I like writing), and acting as a witness in a mock trial (because I like being a smartass). The actual "law" part of it wasn't much fun.

Our family friend is a teacher and she's suggested a few times that I should try teaching, or working at after-school care. I would be down for that. I get along pretty well with kids. Maybe because I am still a kid in many ways. I also like the idea of being a sports coach and helping kids improve their game.

I like writing too, but I doubt I can make a living off that, since I have no reputation as a writer.

My main goal right now is to find a job where I can be fully engaged and committed to the work. Making lots of money isn't a big priority.

I know this is not a very specific goal, so let me know if you have any suggestions to narrow it down or modify it.

My secondary goal is to run a 5k in under 30 min. At the moment I don't do cardio, just pull-ups and squats.

I'll submit this goal first since it's concrete and I can work on it while I work towards my main goal of finding the right career path.

Thanks for reading, I appreciate any advice.

Mike

2. James

James Host

Welcome to the crew, Mike.

For the attached goal: do you know what you currently run 5k in?

Regarding the job, they're right you need to find a way to use it, since it's expensive and fairly hard to get.

But success in career is the combination of:
    • Your passions / interests. You've mentioned some of them.
    • Your skills / aptitudes. In this case, you've got whatever skills/knowledge were required to get a law degree.
    • Market. What is in demand.
    It sounds like you need to do a survey of the market, around the periphery of standard law jobs.
    Suggestions:
    • Finding lawyers who ended up doing something you consider interesting. You can troll around on LinkedIn, find out where lawyers hang out, etc. They could give you inspiration.
    • Find what legal services the areas that interest you need. E.g. legal services for sports-related businesses?
    • Find periphery law specialties. E.g. conveyancing is one (tightly coupled to real estate), NGO stuff is another, perhaps there are others.
    This is going to take assertive self-lead research. There will be no "track" to uncover what you need to know, it will be active discovery work.

3. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal approved!

The community voted to approve this goal as Doable and SMART.
    Now, do your best to succeed! Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 19 Aug 2018.

4. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal update is due.

Please submit an update on your goal progress.

5. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Hi Mike, I suggest listening to pod-casts that involve lawyers and their profession. I recently listened to one stating that Law practice has changed considerably since the 1960's, the landscape is very different and that if you want to be doing exciting work in that field, you will need an entrepreneurial mindset.

My friend works in a law firm and he very much dislikes it. He's been biting the bullet whilst finishing his master's degree. I don't know what's his plan, but I don't think he's going to stick around very long.

James likes this.
  6. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Update not submitted.

The goal update was not submitted within the time limit.

7. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal update is due.

Please submit an update on your goal progress.

8. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    i think this sounds like a good place to start. At least start researching (something to tell your dad and girlfriend too) and get a good feel for it: both the good and bad. Definitely seems to interest you.

Maybe consider adding in some pressups and shoulder variations?

good luck with the run.

9. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Update not submitted.

The goal update was not submitted within the time limit.

10. James

James Host

Wonder if he even put on his shoes :D
    Canceled goal.

11. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
  12. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Tango down.

13. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    And I didn't even have the chance to introduce myself to him.