1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Brainstorming I Want My Degree Now!

Discussion in 'Money' started by The Big Pone, Jan 17, 2018.

1. The Big Pone

The Big Pone New Member

(Joke Title)

I apologize for the delay. I got caught in the new year events and this post has been on my to-do list for almost 3 weeks now. I also have been recognizing some anxiety feelings every time I think of posting here.

So, answering these 4 points that James asked of me.

1. Will that degree lead to a decently paid technical job?
    The field is Automation Engineering. According to a simple research I made, in my country, the mean salary of this field is R$ 6,057.00 (per month) with the lowest end being R$ 3,450.00 and the highest R$ 14,243.00.

It’s far better than the R$ 1,400.00 that I earn right now.

1. 2. Are you capable of finishing that degree if you focus?
    Yes I am.

1. 3. Can it be connected to your musical interests to increase your passion for it? (e.g. audio engineering)
    Yes, there’s some useful projects that I know of. One was my

1. 4. What work will be involved in finishing your degree? Specifically: how much credit do you have / how many courses are left to pass, what is the minimum time it can be done in, what will you have to do to pass the next courses.

So that’s the weird part. The institution that I’m in is working in a very special and weird set of rules, it’s mostly different from other countries that I heard about and some colleges that I’ve seen around here. First there is no credits system, I don’t even know how these work.

It used to be that you had a time limit to finish your degree and the formula fot the time limit was ((number of minimum semesters of the degree* 2) – 1). So for my degree, that has 10 semesters, it would be 19 semesters to finish it.

But there was a problem with that time limit and it was removed. My College is from a government institution and they are trying to push more people to receive degrees. The only way to be kicked out I believe is by having less than 80% presence in ALL classes.

From the class of 40 students that I started in 2012 more than half dropped out and I believe less than 6 actually made to graduation to this day. It’s not easy. I don’t want to give up.

And here I disclose the thing that brings me the most shame about my situation:

There are 73 courses for a total of 4039,3 hours in 5 years.

I’ve completed 5 courses for a total of 198,9 hours. In 6 years.

I believe it would take the minimum of four and half years for me to finish it.

Why did I failed so much?

I lacked the discipline to be on time every day, to take my time to study at home, and the proper mindset.

I already enrolled for this semesters disciplines so there isn’t much to do right now, but I want to develop a clearer course of action these next weeks before the end of summer break.

I don’t know what else to write right now, it’s way past midnight and I need to work in the morning.

I'll try to answer everyday, and I'm sorry if this post is a mess. I've been having a hard time getting used to this interface and also putting my words together.

2. James

James Host

Of course, because this is GoGetters! You know we'll make demands of you, which means discomfort. Fortunately, all the benefit of those demands, when met, are received by you :)

So embrace the discomfort -- it is your path to victory.

1. Can you overload your semesters? I.e. do one more course per semester.
    2. Can you do any courses over summer breaks?
    3. What is your current course load, in hours per semester, and hours per week?
    These are the numbers I'm seeing:
    • Standard work week is 40 hours. Everyone is capable of 40 hours. Winners do 50+ minimum.
    • 4039 - 198 = 3841 remaining hours
    • At standard work week output: that's 96 weeks
    • At 50 weeks/year, that's a 2 years minimum.

So you'd have to have procedures in place. E.g.:
    • You don't aim to be on time, you aim to be there 1 hour early for morning coffee time. Then you're easing into the start of the day, in the uni, ready.
    • You also don't study at home, as it's really just an excuse to leave uni early (as you know you won't actually study at home). If there is study to be done, you do it in the library there, where there are no distractions. When it's *done*, you go.
    • But Number 1: you will present yourself to every single exam no matter what. You own that exam, and even if you think you're going to know nothing and just end up writing your name on it, you will present yourself in that exam hall nonetheless.
    • You don't think of the discomfort of doing things now, you think of the discomfort in the future of failing to do them. You change your concern from present discomfort, to future discomfort. Whenever a "oh this is uncomfortable (now)" thought pops into your head, you immediately replace it with the "if I don't do this, I'm fucked (in the future)" thought.
    So you need to lay out your new daily process, that means you're in the uni, and getting the study done.

One piece of advice I have on this is a morning "pep sheet". You read it every morning to reframe the day. It basically says something like "I'm going in to uni, I'm going to complete my study, I'm going to pass. If I don't do this, I'm fucked, and new worlds of misery await me in later years. If I do do this, I'm going to have money & a good life."

Make your own, keep it brief.

Good, means higher salaries for those who do graduate.