1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Introduction

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jack, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Hey guys

I'm Jack, 24 living and working in the UK. I currently work in an espresso bar doing a little over part time hours so I can make rent, the pay is good and it's a small business so its pretty chill, but this has to be a stop gap for me. Some of the guys I work with have been there for a couple years, I guess because it's a comfortable job, and I can see it breaking them.

I want to divide up a couple of key areas, and go from there to brainstorm some goals after I get some feedback.

Social
    I have a couple of good core social groups, mostly guys but a couple of girls, lots of "acquaintances" you know, people you get on with and have known for years but only see every so often. I've had some experience with women but definitely behind most people I know, never been in a LTR but had a couple short things when I was younger, got that dank social anxiety/self doubt etc. All the predictable shit.

4 years ago my health kind of collapsed and I crawled into a shell, from going out a couple times every week to barely leaving the house for weeks at a time, as of about a year ago I've been pulling myself out of the rut, I'm being social again, taking better care of myself etc. but damage was definitely done, and since I wasn't in the best place before that anyway I've got a long way to go.

Money/Education
    As I said I work in a coffee shop, its very good pay for what it is and I love the company but it can't be forever. I graduated with a games design degree(2:1) because I panicked after doing Art/Design subjects my whole life and wanting to move into something more technical. I learned to code and some good UI/UX stuff so I don't see it as a total waste but because I can't really use the qualification, I want to take a second degree. Probably Comp Sci or Engineering.

What i'm thinking about doing is working where I am for one more year, using that time to study in preparation for a second degree, start lifting, stop smoking, work on my social shit so I can stop worrying about girl problems, then move abroad before brexit fucks me and get on a course somewhere in Europe(Germany?) where I won't have to worry about being able to afford to study/live. Great thing about being a trained barista is there is work everywhere. Also being able to go through uni again, and this time actually be social? I think it could be really good for my head.

There is plenty more for me to say about all this stuff, but I'll keep it (kind of)short.

I'm excited to see how far I can improve myself, It's nice to meet you all!

James likes this.
  2. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Yeah, stop that shit.

Going through uni as a fitter, hench motherfucker building huge top class social circles (organise events) and strong physical escalation will turn you into a machine.

Solid intro, you know what you need to do. All the best.

Jack and James like this.
  3. James

James Host

Cheers for intro, @Jack,

As for social, one of the great things about that is that there are a huge number of ways to work on it. There are probably hundreds of thousands or millions of people in your city, thousands of different social circles, hundreds of different social activities. This can be made a goal itself: you can make a target (e.g. "Be known by name in 3 new social circles"), and make a list of new social activities/arenas you will go to (anything from language class, casual sports team, hobby groups, dancing, etc).

As for money, be very wary about going back to university for more education. That's more money, and more years. A lot of young people use it as a "don't know what to do" or "yeah this will automatically give me a good job" purgatory. If you have already invested the time and money in a games design degree, and you've always been interested in art/design stuff, you want to be absolutely sure you can't use that to satisfy your money/career needs (I doubt it because I've met so many graphic designers who make a living with it), and that the next degree really would be worth it. And there are other ways to access the social circles of university than just being a student.

So for money, you could perhaps make a research goal. In this goal, you'd be actively gathering information about the games design / graphics / art markets, trying to determine if there is a way for you to put your interest & degree into a job / career. This involves internet searching, on job boards, looking for signs of employers going beyond job boards to try and find workers (e.g. on business forums), and also reading their complaints about what they need in workers, and also finding out about typical and atypical career paths for games design / graphic design etc. But it also involves active research.

Active research is where you reach out on places like linkedin (or even cold call if you can do it), and message managers/owners of games dev or graphics design companies, asking for "information interviews". This is where you meet them for lunch or for a coffee, obviously at your cost and their greatest convenience (you go to them), and just ask them questions about their industry, what kind of problems they have, what needs they find difficult to fill, what their goals are, what they think makes a good dev/artist/designer, etc. You'd be surprised how many will gladly do it. Some young guy reaching out to them for a piece of mentorship in their industry, even if it's just asking questions over coffee, makes them feel more than just some middle aged manager, so getting at least 1 in 10 to respond with a yes isn't hard. You can also go to any industry conferences / exhibitions that come up.

On top of that you'd be researching the best guys in that line of work; the guys who've really made a go of games design or graphics/art work. This can be famous guys (who have biographies), or just leading guys in the industry, and you can study what they did to get there.

You basically know whats up with the barista stuff though: it's comfortable, but if you turn 30 and you're still a barista... (unless you've bought the cafe I guess).

4. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    This is what i'm thinking, reap rewards for a year of hardcore self improvement but that at the same time use that to push further.

Yeah exactly, I have my eye on rock climbing and maybe some form of martial arts, I want to chose something that will give me opportunities to talk to more girls, and something that I can focus in on wholly for myself. I really like the idea of making this one of my first goals.

Yeah, I am aware of this trap, My guess is it comes from people who go not knowing what they want out of it long term, a rough idea maybe but perhaps they haven't done the research and aren't there with single minded focus and a plan.

I did a fair bit of research into games industry careers when I was studying, honestly speaking I came to hate it, exploitation everywhere. The end result is cool but I can't justify dedicating my life and time to a creative pursuit anymore, not when I know I could be contributing in a more meaningful way, I loved games and you can't understate the positive affect they can have on the player, but the ecosystem within the industry is absolutely not something I can stomach when the end result isn't something I am personally invested in anymore. Not to mention there is a not so small chance all your work would be for nothing for no other reason than figures don't add up.

The methods you are suggesting are definitely interesting, perhaps I could start a second goal that would involve initially doing research so I can work out which course best suits my interests, what career paths exist from that. Then follow up goals could include related self-studying in preparation and networking with possible mentor figures? I love the idea of reaching out and flexing my social skills at those kind of meetings.

5. James

James Host

Another good idea in that area is dancing. At dancing it's usually girls left without partners, not the other way around, so ratio is always nice.

Well part of your research could be "lateral moves". Things which need similar skills or experience, but aren't the same industry. For instance, animation (for movies) is very close to games in the graphics sense, but quite different overall. Or you could consider something more B2B, like making graphics for commercial websites (always high demand).

As part of this brainstorming, you could also include things that you do now find passion / interest in, and we could think of ways you could connect that to your existing qualifications/skills.

Certainly, once one goal completes, you start the next one (usually after a new brainstorming thread which includes some 'debriefing' of the last goal, but you can go into it directly). The "super goal" here is "winning at life", but that's made of a chain of smaller goals.

6. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Yeah with some practice I think I could get a decent portfolio together, I could then look for contract work or even something more long term, It could even compliment preparing for further study. knowing multiple programming languages might make getting onto courses I would be interested in a lot smoother.

Yeah I want to do an in-depth brainstorm but I'm unsure of which forum to use, since I want to start with a couple of goals should I split it into separate threads?

7. James

James Host

Yes you could put the social one in Misc, and the money one in Money.

Jack likes this.
  8. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Rock climbing is the shit. Solid girl to male ratio. Oh no.... I've got hot and sweaty. Top off, abs out. All the graft has been done there and then for you. Bring some mass that the scrawny rock climbers don't have( extra 10 lbs of gaiinnsZ). Easy.

9. James

James Host

Yep, and all the climbing turns you into a triangle. When I used to go, all the pros climbed in jeans and bare chest "to keep cool". Yeah right to keep cool :rolleyes:. Swear half of them spent the other 50% of their exercise in bed.

10. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    When I do my final cut to drop me below 15% bf (started way over 30, sat just around 20 but want some strength gains first) I MAY start climbing.... not sure why.....

James likes this.
  11. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Rock climbing is a great choice. Another idea is Blues dancing classes. I started with Swing, but after accidentally ending up in a blues class I found myself having a ton of contact with women. You deal with a lot of body types by dancing with women of all ages too, it's good experience. Martial arts are a good idea, but it depends on the club. Some of them have a reputation that attracts more women and where classes are mixed. Others are almost sectarian and focus on discipline and observing a bunch of rules.

Haha, yeah... looks like this is a universal truth. I see guys doing it shirtless around here.

Did you think about freelance? I've seen some nice numbers from people selling assets in the Unity store for example. At the end of the day, a lot of people want to build games, but don't have any artistic background.

12. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Haha cheers guys, Looks like rock climbing is one to go for then. This is exciting, I'll do some research into local spots and combine it with one other activity when I set a goal.

I think @James also mentioned dance, and to be honest I kind of like the idea of learning to get comfortable dancing, would make night game a lot easier as well I imagine. Maybe I'll use that as a follow up goal...

I think I want martial arts to be something I focus on purely for myself, so maybe a more disciplined environment with less distractions would be preferable? I suppose there's no reason I couldn't start out in a more disciplined one and add a mixed class in later down the line for more social opportunities.

Tom likes this.
  13. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    I've thought about it, but especially asset production, there isn't really much room for branching into more personally fulfilling careers(for myself) later on, yeah you can do stuff like animation etc. but at the end of the day I feel like if I were to go down that path I would just be fighting myself committed only because that's the path I already started down. It all just feels a bit sunk cost fallacy-ish, obviously it seems crazy not to try and take advantage of the skills I already have, but I would rather struggle and reset my self now than sink another decade in you know?

I'll get around to doing a career/money brainstorm thread after I sort out activities/health goal and break down what I know/what I'm interested in and where I want to go.

James likes this.
  14. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Boxing, muay thai, mma and brazilian jiu jitsu are generally considered the shit. More of an aggressive environment but there will be some hot girls. And if you are in good shape, they will linger with you. Happened to my mate when he took up boxing. Got to the point where he needed the boxing to keep them away.... heh

You could do one session a week of a more social krav maga class that pushes female self defense for the social aspect. Will be less aggressive, more girls, but you will miss out on effective sparing.

15. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I remember Olivia Fox Cabane(Author of the Charisma Myth) saying that BJJ was a great way to improve charisma as it involves a lot of physical contact. She said boxing not so much and I'd like to agree with her. There's something that happens when you get blows to the head that can put you in survival mode pretty fast. You are taught to create distance as well.

Absolutely, the short term reward of cash is not going to bring happiness in the long run. There is this idea of transforming your current skillset into use in another domain. Perhaps it's worth thinking about how you might be able to map out what you've learned to other disciplines. Personally, I wasn't successful with that concept though haha(yet).