1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Goal Limit myself to 4 hours of video games a week

Discussion in 'Misc' started by Tom, Jan 28, 2018.

Goal: Limit myself to 4 hours of video games a week by March 31, 2018 (finished)

100%

Completed

Member Tom commits to the following actions to achieve this goal

Create s spreadsheet of gaming. Read, walk, stretch, draw, drum when I want to game

1. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Approval

OK guys.

So I play my video games too much.

Last semester, trying to expand my social circle (well, get one xD) and trying to get some success with girls. Gaming will get in the way.

Limiting myself to basically 4 hours a week. 2 Dota games and 2 hours of another game. Likely the new assassin's creed at the moment.

If I'm about and can game I will do uni work (read notes ect), draw, drum, arrange something social, stretch ect.

I'll log everything on a spreadsheet.

I set a big completion date to keep this goal on the go for a while.

2. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Sounds like a good plan, realising modern games are just skinner boxes designed to encourage you sinking your time into them for the profit of the publisher/developer in exchange for small dopamine hits is key.

Most games are padded out with situations and loops that are specifically made so they take more of your time rather than be the most enjoyable experience. Your time is worth more than that, we literally gain nothing by spending hours on them, even the escapism/relaxation element is detrimental for people like us, if your goal is to face life head on and grow as much as we can, then a piece of media designed to distract you can only be negative.

That isn't to say there is anything wrong with playing some here and there, the social part is fun and rewarding and when you are in the right place spending a few hours a week is probably of real benefit to you, but I would recommend waiting until you are in a more developed frame of mind and even then only playing games that respect your time.

Sorry for the rant :D I'm coming from a similar place to you so I know how it is, you gotta realise the people who make these things don't have any respect for you though, they just see you as a number to be exploited, the fun you get out of games will rarely be worth the cost of your time.

One thing you could do, which helped me, is only play games like DotA when you have a full stack, no solo/small party, that way you are really there for the team play and social side. Also if you have to play games like Assasins Creed, drop anything resembling a completionist approach, no collectables or 100% exploration or anything that the game is trying to suggest to you is an accomplishment from their perspective, dip in and out playing the story then when you hit those end credits uninstall it and move on. Trust me it's very liberating.

That is all assuming games are important to you and not something you could cut out entirely until you've made serious progress.

All that said good luck man even limiting to 4 hours will probably have a huge positive impact.

3. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Good idea. I'll put my 2 hours in with my active crew. They are a nice bunch and varied (international and some girls :O) so they are good to play with.

Rant was needed bro, video games are the single best and worst thing I added to my life.

Jack likes this.
  4. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal approved!

The community voted to approve this goal as Doable and SMART.
    Now, do your best to succeed! Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 04 Feb 2018.

5. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal update is due.

Please submit an update on your goal progress.

6. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

So, sat on 2 games of dota with a 2 hour assassins creed session later today planned before I watch some of the superbowl with a mate. Exactly what I planned. Staying in uni till 6 (I only get home after 7 then) is helping.

Not much more to add. I've been busy this week though with commitments and my car breaking down keeping me out of the house. Next week will be more of a challenge as semester routine starts kicking in. Because of this I haven't filled in a spreadsheet as this week won't be a typical week.

Voting on this update has closed.

Jack and James like this.
  7. James

James Host

Nice, pre-emptive structuring. True mentality of a go-getter.
    Had it break down in the middle of uni with chicks watching you try push it up a hill with your friends yet? Good times :D

8. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Mate, speaking from experience? xD I feel like story time is in order? ;)

9. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Dedication to the goal, I like it.

Tom likes this.
  10. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: The previous update has been rated.

The score was: 4.67.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 11 Feb 2018

11. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal update is due.

Please submit an update on your goal progress.

12. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Monday: Band practice
    Tuesday: Played drums in an open mic night
    Wednesday: Pilates+reddit
    Thursday: 1 game of dota and my internet searches went to the adult side and no fap was broken.
    Friday: Student union pool and 1 game of dota
    Saturday:
    Gym, reddit, watched rugby and had a gig (went well and a girl added my Instagram who came with our singer. Chubby but I would pork).
    Sunday: Working on my CV and uni work. I call it admin Sunday xD 2 hours of assassin's creed planned for tonight.

I should add, on week days I'm in uni till 5.30 working.

Voting on this update has closed.

13. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Would pork/10?
    Sounds like you're managing to substitute gaming for more productive activities - goal seems to be in sight my man.

You're keeping busy, which is definitely good. It's good to keep things organized and manage your time well, so as to not get overwhelmed with stuff.

14. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Sounds like your schedule is well geared towards your current goals man, and the fact you are getting to the end of the week and actually having to plan to get a couple hours in before the next week ticks over is great. It shows you've broken whatever behaviour pattern you started out with. Just gotta maintain for the remainder of the goal duration but it seems like you are already there.

I'm interested to know if you find yourself wanting to spend time on games, do you get an urge to and have to push it off or are you finding your too busy to even think about it?

15. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    So I had a good stalk after she followed me and liked a pic I put up tonight. I'm calling her a 6.5. She's currently in the process of losing weight so maybe I could be the exercise she needs to trim the last bit of flab? xD Could I initiate, or wait till I see her at another gig (assuming the singer brings her friend)?

Really weird to be honest man! I felt weird as fook that first week, a bit down, jittery, irritable but had no urges. I don't have any urges at the moment! being busy is helping for sure, but I really want to sort my life out so the determination surrounding that is helping a tonne! Motivated as shit at the moment.

16. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I like your way of thinking. If she's only a 6.5, don't forget the brown paper bag.

Do you really wanna fuck her? I mean, if there's no loss, then sure, strike while the iron's hot, as she's obviously interested.

17. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Savage xD To be honest my standards are low as shit at the moment.

But the golden rule

Everyone's a 10 when your dicks in their mouth

It would cause too much shit in a very easy stable band. I'll pass xD I'll definitely speak to her if I see her again.

18. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I see the point, however you gotta make the decision about whether it's worth it. I mean, I ain't fucked in months, yet if some stinky bird drunkenly comes up to me and basically communicates "let's fuck boyo", then there ain't a chance of me fucking her. It comes down to self-respect.

The only reason I'd me mildly inclined to fuck someone I'm not attracted to is that it'd help me become more comfortable with my sexuality. However, this is a marathon, not a sprint, so I'm currently comfortable in awaiting 'more worthy' girls, if ya get my drift.

Do so, but don't turn into an emotional tampon. It could be quite entertaining to garner her interest to only lead her on; perhaps she'll introduce you to some of her fit mates.

19. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    @Shaney96 solid points man.

So the singer let slip she likes me (I baited it out by saying I was signing up to tinder) but the next gig is 2 weeks away. After a longer stalk on Instagram, she's actively trying to shed the last bit of flab (she's lost a tonne already which bodes well) and I'm actually pretty attracted to her (not sure if my standards are low). Probably a facebook message tomorrow?

20. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    If that's been overtly communicated, then she most definitely wants that dick.

The good old push/pull; well played man.

Fuck trying to put a tape measure on your standards. If picturing her naked gets your dick hard, then that's the only 'standard' you need. Unless you've got erectile dysfunction, that is..

If the gig's two weeks away, then I guess so, but DO NOT message her that much, as that will KILL the attraction. I fucked up a chance with this girl prior to Christmas by talking to her every day/every other day. I thought it was all gravy since she'd be the one messaging me first half the time, and we'd have decent convo, sometimes leaning towards being sexual. Two days before our date, she flakes. Lesson learned there. I turned into an orbiter that she could talk to whenever she needed some validation. At first she was probably fantasizing about me, as I was her, but then after she realized I was too available, and I sub-communicated I didn't have other options, that interest was soon lost.