1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Goal Limit myself to 4 hours of video games a week

Discussion in 'Misc' started by Tom, Jan 28, 2018.

Goal: Limit myself to 4 hours of video games a week by March 31, 2018 (finished)

100%

Completed

Member Tom commits to the following actions to achieve this goal

Create s spreadsheet of gaming. Read, walk, stretch, draw, drum when I want to game

1. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: The previous update has been rated.

The score was: 4.33.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 18 Feb 2018

2. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    @Shaney96 I agree man. So I sent her a message today, it's been ignored. Probably looked too available. Oh well. If she reply, not sure I can be bothered. Playing games when we are a close band and a close multi band/friend group - fuck that. Adding chaos to well paying stability. Thought my self improvement over Christmas would pay off, more work needed! The endless grind to become a man continues.

Signing up to Tinder tonight. Getting back on the hoe train. If your interested photofeeler.com is a good place to get pics reviewed. I got rated a 7/10 averaged over 30 votes so I'll take that xD I thought I was a 5!

3. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal update is due.

Please submit an update on your goal progress.

4. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Alright so, had a 2 hour sesh on the ancient but godly dawn of war soulstorm with a mate Saturday and got another one planned. Just tending to the harem on tinder before my allotted time comes in.

Monday: band
    Tuesday: open mic night
    Wednesday: Pilates, the craziest double date of my life (see other goal) followed by a random brief seshin a club.
    Thursday: Meetup event
    Friday: Gym
    Saturday: 2 hour sesh of games.

Voting on this update has closed.

James likes this.
  5. Gort

Gort Robot

The score was: 5.00.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 25 Feb 2018

6. Gort

Gort Robot

7. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Monday: 1 dota game + ~1 hour of Soulstorm
    Tuesday: open mic night + ~1 hour of Soulstorm
    Wednesday: 1 dota game
    Thursday: gym
    Friday: gig
    Saturday: gig
    Sunday: ~ 1 hour of Company of Heroes

So I overshot by an hour/1 hour 30 because of the gaming session I've just done. I feel like I needed it. Missing that date Tuesday (see other goal), getting bailed on for Sunday, Immediately upon arriving on gig 2 getting asked if the main band (12k followers on fbook) could borrow some of my shit (cos billy no spine I used to be let everyone walk all over me. Needless to say he didn't use my shit), and pushing my grandad in his wheelchair for the first time, I just wanted to chill for a game.

Definitely an excuse though. I should have done something productive.

8. Gort

Gort Robot

The score was: 3.00.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 04 Mar 2018

9. Gort

Gort Robot

10. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Alright bois.

Monday: band practice
    Tuesday: Pool in the SU bar
    Wednesday: Pool in the SU bar. It was dead and I basically played and practiced by myself. + 1 hour of assassins creed
    Thursday: Gym
    Friday: gig
    Saturday: night out in my home town (second ever night out)
    Sunday: got a date set up for tonight, I'm going in to manc regardless of whether she turns up or not.

1 hour of video games. Shit bois, I'll be getting rusty xD It was needed as steam is now saying I've played 8 hours in the past 2 weeks, so that has me averaging nicely at 4 hours a week.

Attached Files:

James likes this.
  11. Gort

Gort Robot

The score was: 5.00.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 11 Mar 2018

12. Gort

Gort Robot

13. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Sup bois:

Monday: band
    Tuesday: date (was boring as fook xD)
    Wednesday: band
    Thursday: Went to a bar with a dude I met at the meetup. This guy is slaying in bars and tinder.
    Friday: 1 hour of Assassin's creed
    Saturday: Date - more red flags than a communist parade. Don't stick your dick in crazy I've heard xD
    Sunday: Sneaky dota game with a mate

So 2 hours this week.

James likes this.
  14. Gort

Gort Robot

The score was: 4.25.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 18 Mar 2018

15. Gort

Gort Robot

16. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Was going well until I installed COH on Saturday...... Played 5 hours this weekend :/ had 3 hours, started a game, it took 2 hours. Will bare this in mind, holy shit this game is lethal.

17. Gort

Gort Robot

The score was: 2.40.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 25 Mar 2018

18. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Just an update bois in case I can't upload this weekend. Off to the depths of Wales till Tuesday.

This trip away is needed. Got bogged down at home doing uni work and was having gaming sessions in my breaks...... clocked up 7 hours this week.

Fuck.

When looking over the rainy fields and cloudy coast I need to reconnect with this goal. Couple of tinder rejections, working on deadlines at home, gaming creeping back in..... I'm returning back to my old self. I'm bringing some drawing paper so me and my grandad can hopefully bust out some cool drawings. Remind myself what humans are again.

I'll try and upload my goal update so you bois can vote.

19. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Huh, I feel the exact same way unfortunately. I guess you put in work, work work, and life's gonna try to pull you back down to your baseline. I guess the idea is to strike a balance and to keep on truckin'.

I went from looking forward to practising guitar every night, to now being anxious to pick it up because I feel I'm so far behind my goal that "why even start now".

Fuck your ego when it beats you. The difference between a man and a boy is that the man gets back up when kicked to the ground. That's one of the things TRP has taught me.

Keep your head high Tom. Let yourself reconnect, but just keep at it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheRedPill...p_in_your_rp_journey/?st=jf4mtpfl&sh=102e56b7

20. James

James Host

You installed a new game. That's a negative entrenching act. You should analyze the thought process that went into installing that new game. I'm sure there was a thought in your head just before you clicked buy that said "this isn't consistent with my goals", but the other thoughts won out. We must be vigilant with ourselves.

Frankly with games, which I used to play once, I'm not comfortable ever installing them again. Games are drug-like -- you can't just have a bit now and then because they're designed to suck you in. Playing competitively online was great, I used to think after some games "that game was absolutely epic". But stepping back, you look at it and say "and? you've finished a game, but across the street some guy's just finished banging the hot chick he's been lusting after, so how epic was that game? some guy's just landed a $10k/month contract, so how epic was that game? Where's James going to be in a year?". Then nevertheless, a week later you have a tired evening, and just want to relax with a game, and it becomes 4 hours. So then I just waited for the next time when I had a bad game, and deleted the lot.

If I feel myself slipping back into something, my response is "hit it twice as hard".

Life usually follows a power law (or "hockey stick", more like "winner takes all" than "return equals work put in"). Returns are massively skewed, so actions need to be massively skewed too. As Tony Robbins said, good effort means mediocre outcome, great effort means good outcome, and exceptional effort means great outcome, but the reason only an exceptional effort means a great outcome is due to what he calls "the two millimeters". No one remembers the guy who came second, even if it was only by 2mm, they just remember the winner. One one cares about the product that almost worked, but didn't due to a 2mm defect, they only care about the one that worked. Etc.

One thing I've noticed is that so long as you keep hammering down the effort, and importantly: analyzing your efforts and why they've risen or fallen, you do change. But you only see the change on the time frame of a year. After a few years it becomes increasingly difficult to even understand the prior you, as a result of the slow transformation accumulating over that time.

An extreme example of a guy who failed to recognize that, was that no-hoper Brazilian kid who showed up here briefly to whine. It's not the set-back or failure that kills a guy -- it's their failure to redouble their efforts when it does, that leaves them in that state he was in.

Given that, slipping back into an old way of doing things isn't a loss, as long as you see it -- and whack it twice as hard. Then your transformational effort is bumpy, but there's no advantage over a flat & lesser performance -- it all just accumulates.

The most important concepts in maximizing transformation rate are what I call stacking and entrenching.

Stacking
    A single means of reaching a goal isn't a full effort. You need as many means acting in concert as possible.

For instance: a smoking goal. Most people just say "I'm going to quit today", and that's it. They all fail. Maybe some say "I'm going to quit today + I'll use nicorette". That's better, some succeed. Maybe some say "I'm going to quit today + I'll use nicorette + I'll stop hanging out with these smokers". Even more succeed.

Imagine if that stack was 12 deep? It would be harder not to quit than to quit.

I visualize it as: the goal is stuck under thick ice in a frozen lake, you have a bag of bricks. Putting one brick on the surface will do nothing. Even if it's a big brick. But the more you stack on top of each other, the greater chance it'll break through.

Entrenching
    Willpower is limited. So simple willpower vs goal is (statistically) usually not enough. However if you invest willpower into things that put the wind to your back, and invest willpower into removing things that put wind to your front, your odds of success and your rate of transformation are improved.

As an extreme example, if someone has a problem with weightloss -> live somewhere where there is no food. Literally impossible to stay fat. All they need then is the willpower to trek to that place with a tent. No further willpower investment needed.

As a practical example: (positive entrenching) they could search for and discover delicious food that is more filling and less calorie laden, (temporary positive entrenching) they could go on a boot camp, (negative entrenching removal) they could sell their car if their analysis shows they mostly use it to drive to restaurants and they could commute to work or supermarket with a 30 minute walk.

Life doesn't try to pull you back. Specific things in life try to pull you back, and they can be removed, replaced, improved.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    Shaney96 likes this.