1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Goal Limit myself to 4 hours of video games a week

Discussion in 'Misc' started by Tom, Jan 28, 2018.

Goal: Limit myself to 4 hours of video games a week by March 31, 2018 (finished)

100%

Completed

Member Tom commits to the following actions to achieve this goal

Create s spreadsheet of gaming. Read, walk, stretch, draw, drum when I want to game

1. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Great comment @James, I'll take that knowledge and try turning it into my own wisdom - I appreciate the effort you put into comments like this.

http://cdn.antarcticglaciers.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Instrumental_Temperature_Record.png
    Replace "Global Temperatures" with "Personal Growth" and I'd say that's still pretty accurate. Of course, not everyone's the same, and rates may differ, yeah, that's why 'ruts' exist and why people can come back twice as hard afterward. I guess it's why people will only change once they experience some shit and realize they want better for themselves.

2. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I'm a little confused about Stacking vs Entrenching.

Are they not the same thing? As in, taking your example, if you wanted to quit smoking, then surely adding a nicorette is stacking and entrenching. Stacking because you're adding another action that brings you toward your goal, but also entrenching because you're investing into things (research and money in this case) that put wind to your back?

I can appreciate I'm overanalyzing; that's a habit of mine. I just want to further understand your concepts.

3. James

James Host

Yes, things in the stack can be entrenching or non-entrenching.

E.g. for fitness goal: non-entrenching is going for a jog in the afternoon (purely from willpower), entrenching would be joining a jogging group (peer pressure) or paying a personal trainer non-refundable in advance (money waste pressure -- but unfortunately quite weak according to gym membership statistics) or spending less time with your lazy friends (negative: removal of crab-in-bucket pressure).

Perhaps a good analogy for non-entrenching vs entrenching is wage vs investment income. Using wages to buy investments, which in turn means more future income, can be more powerful than just consuming the current wages as-is. In this analogy, the point where investment income overtakes the original wage would be habit has formed. For a lot of guys who get fully entrenched into fitness, they're uncomfortable not going to the gym, rather than going. It becomes part of who they are.

Everything in the stack adds pressure, but willpower is limited, so the stack can only be so heavy if it's only got non-entrenching blocks in it.

Most ideas for entrenching come from simply thinking, thoroughly (5 whys method), "why wasn't willpower enough?". E.g. a failure to stick to a smoking goal: I promised myself not to smoke but I smoked -> why? it was smoking break -> why did I go to smoking break? I like the social aspect with my co-workers who all smoke and I didn't want to be the odd one out. That indicates a few varieties of possible entrenchments, such as changing job.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    Shaney96 likes this.
  4. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal update is due.

Please submit an update on your goal progress.

5. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Awesome post @James!

So for the update, 7 hours this week.

When I get back to civilisation I will put up my stack. Just thinking of what I can implement.

Voting on this update has closed.

6. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: The previous update has been rated.

The score was: 2.00.

No more progress updates will come due on this goal (but you can still post them).
    Your goal results will come due on Fri, 30 Mar 2018

7. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal achievement results are due.

Please submit a report on your achievement of this goal. The community will then rate your result. You can include any evidence that helps present your result.

8. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Result

Much better week.

Had a 40 minute game of COH on Saturday and today I've just been on for an hour. I've been knuckling down on my masters as the looming deadline is terrifying me.

So for the result, I broke the 4 hour limit on 3 weeks.

Voting on this result has closed.
  9. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Nice way to end the sprint man. Keep yourself on that goal of finishing your masters.

10. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    @Shaney96 Cheers! I think I've got the right amount of weeks I went over. My brain is fried currently!

I'll be lurking until the 13th May, then starting back up with day game/bar game goals.

11. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: The result has been rated.

Congratulations on following this goal to the end!

The average goal result rating was: 4.00 (Grade: B — Achieved goal).

Updates Report
    Total updates submitted: 8 of 8
    Average update rating: 3.62 (Large action towards goal)

Next Steps
    Well done! Your action taking was strong and it paid off! Continue this good work.