1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Goal Lose 1% Body fat by March 15th while sticking to my exercise plan.

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by Jack, Jan 17, 2018.

?

Should I include the number of times I smoke with my weekly report?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    16.7%

Goal: Lose 1% Body fat by March 15th while sticking to my exercise plan. by March 15, 2018 (finished)

100%

Closed

Member Jack commits to the following actions to achieve this goal

Track kcal intake keeping a 500 deficit. Attend the gym/cardio sessions 3 times each per 7 days.

1. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:

Goal Approval

My exercise plan is as listed below, I intend to refine it as I see progress. Even if things are reshuffled, the bare minimum will be 3 gym sessions and 3 cardio sessions, my gym is open late so no excuses.

Day 1 - 5x5 Workout A (Squat, Bench, Row)
    Day 2 - Cardio (Running/walking 1hr)
    Day 3 - 5x5 Workout B (Squat, OHP, Deadlift)
    Day 4 - Cardio (Cycling 1hr)
    Day 5 - 5x5 Workout A (Squat, Bench, Row)
    Day 6 - Cardio (Running/walking 1hr)
    Day 7 - Free day

Each of the workouts will stick to the 5x5 format for the types of lifts however I was advised by people at the gym to concentrate on lower weight higher rep count to begin with, the guy who runs the place offered to show me some stuff next time I come in so I'll see how that goes. My form definitely needs work and I think he is used to seeing 5x5 being used by guys lifting way harder, so he is suggesting I go lower until I can control my form. I thought about trying to explain I was starting low anyway, but I don't want to pass up an opportunity to learn more.

I will alternate B,A,B to A,B,A week by week. Cardio sessions will get longer as I improve.

I will Maintain a 500kcal deficit focusing on eating low-carb. To aid this I will start a calorie diary, also counting protein and carb consumption, making sure to eat at least 1g of protein per pound of body weight.

Progress reports will contain a comparison photo, my weight, and a rough BF% calculation along with a summary of how my week went. I will include information like how much distance I manage to cover running/cycling and updates on how much weight I am putting onto my lifts. Also what my calorie intake was like for that week.

I currently weigh 174.3 pounds and am at roughly 15% BF.

As a penalty for failing my first goal I am also considering including in the weekly report the number of times I smoked that week. Maybe holding myself accountable for the duration of this goal and having to show you guys if I continue to fail will help me find motivation.

2. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Good plan man.
    0.82-1 gram of protein/lb is fine, so don't worry about consuming a chicken a day.

Have you considered changing up your diet at all? Eating little meals rich with carbs can be good, however not always great when on a cut as you'll be out of calories for the day before you know it.

Meal-prepping could be an idea, along with low-carb diets. Check out the mealprep, keto and lowcarb subreddits if you're interested; they may aid in making your cut easier.

3. James

James Host

I would suggest at least one "ramp up" week. First, you haven't diaried your current calorie intake, so there is no reference for your "minus 500". Also if you're currently not exercising much, what you've listed there is a massive jump.

The smoking thing is a separate issue, which would muddle this goal if you introduced it.

4. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Yeah I've messed around with diets in the past, I had success (lost just over 14lb) when I was just counting calories and found i naturally drifted away from foods full of carbs because as you say it pushes you to your cap quickly. Meal prepping is not something I have tried, but I'll look into it.

I loved how keto made me feel, but I don't know if I can keep it up. My target is to stick to meals that don't contain a lot of carbs where possible. As long as I meet the calorie target I'll be happy. I want give strict keto another shot though.

You know, I hadn't thought about the deficit being based on my previous intake, which obviously makes the most sense. In the past I used a calculator to estimate my daily values, and that seemed to work quite well so I was going to do that again.

This calculator gave me 2,794 per day to maintain my current weight. I was thinking if I kept to under/at 2300 for one week, then recalculate based on my weight at the end of each week, that would give me a good start. If I avoid carb heavy foods I don't think it should be too hard to fit 3 good meals in.

While I don't exercise as much as this plan, I lead a somewhat active lifestyle and I've been attending the gym every other day for a week now. Now that you mention it though ramping up, especially for the cardio sessions, is a good idea.

How about if I cut the cardio in half for the first week? I could also give myself a smaller calorie deficit but I'm hesitant because I feel like 2300 is already more than enough as long as I don't eat massive portions...

5. mikimica

mikimica New Member

Rating points:
    Substitute bent over rows with chinups. Chins are more important exercise to master and will give you more gains. Rows are risky for your lower back which is already overworked from squatting and deadlifting.

Don't do excessive cardio, you will be unable to recover. Kcal deficit will take care of weightloss.
    Maybe don't do 5 sets, do 3. If you feel it's too much volume to recover from, lower the number of sets.

Basically, don't overdo it, you'll burn out. And don't forget that your recovery capacities are lowered while cutting.

6. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Are chin-ups a viable substitute for BORs? I don't see how they replace such an exercise. I feel BORs, low weight, good form, are better to implement.
    If there's adamancy against BORs, then I'd recommend 1-arm BORs, since they take away a lot of strain from the lower back and are still a great accessory.

7. mikimica

mikimica New Member

Rating points:
    Ideally they should be done both, with rows in form of one arm db rows or seal rows, to spare his lower back.
    If he has to pick one, chins are better cause you lift more weight.
    One arm rows are done more as an accessory exercise, for higher reps. It's hard to do them low reps without much cheating.

8. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    I was mainly thinking I would use cardio to get some longer periods of raised heart rate and improving my stamina etc. rather than to aid weight loss, but I'll make sure I take it easy so I am ready to go when I get to a gym session.

I really like the look of seal rows, seems like it would be much easier to avoid injury while learning form/building a base. Instead of Rows I'll mix seal rows and chin ups until I can maintain the proper form for Rows on an empty/light bar.

9. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal approved!

The community voted to approve this goal as Doable and SMART.
    Now, do your best to succeed! Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 28 Jan 2018.

10. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal update is due.

Please submit an update on your goal progress.

11. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:

Goal Update

Okay so the first week has been good, If nothing has gone terribly wrong with my maths then I've apparently lost my 1% already, probably the fact I'm just starting out so water weight etc. Also there is room for error, the measuring tape I am using may not be accurate, I need to go to the GP about some other stuff so I'll ask them to do an accurate check, and if it's way out I'll buy a better measuring tape.

I've create a spreadsheet linked below that has all my dietary data, meeting my deficit has been erratic as you can see, some days way under others way over, I've lost 5lb @ 170 down from 175, and at 14% bf as opposed to 15%(I thought I was 6ft I am actually just over 5ft11 so i had to recalculate) which is roughly where I started.

Spreadsheet

Here is the bf% calculator entry for this week, everything needed to be up 1 inch because I read the measure I am using wrong. I went back and readjusted my previous values to see if it changed anything and it didn't.

[​IMG]

As far as my workout routine goes, it's been so-so. I've been really happy with my progress in the gym, I see improvements I am legitimately happy with in my ability to lift heavier weights, but my weak core and poor posture are giving my trouble with form. My high intensity cardio has been seriously lacking, but on the other hand I've been killing it with my daily activity levels with walking. This coming week I'll push myself to do those runs even if I feel like shit after work or, if its being sore from the previous days gym session, I'll take it easy but still try and get in at least two laps of my route. Below is my day by day record:

https://pastebin.com/JjC4D28T

I apologise for the format, it just felt like the easiest thing as I was constantly changing stuff/leaving notes. I'll try to have it in a more readable format for the next update.

I'm going to take and upload progress pictures tomorrow when there is daylight, I am only now realising how awful the lighting is at home!

So in summary, I'm on track for my weight loss but discipline is a constant struggle, I need to pay attention to what foods/drinks are the problem areas and make adjustments like going for black coffee rather than a flat white, and cut out the last couple of sugary snack foods I am eating. I am making solid progress in the gym although i would like to get my core/posture fixed up so I can do rows and feel safer doing deadlifts. I need to work on cardio also, steps are good, but I wanted to do cardio for the raised heart rate etc. not the added calorie burn.

Voting on this update has closed.

12. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Fucking hell my man, what the hell happened the 25th?! I'm almost impressed you managed to consume so much?! 12 slices of bread then a triple Caesar wrap? I assume the 'ordered out' is you eating a takeaway and just estimating calories?

Have a look at this for posture:

Regarding your core: Ensure you're doing squats and deadlifts, but be even more sure that you're doing them with good form. Watch some YouTube videos and have a PT/gym instructor spot you. These lifts are great for developing your core and are perhaps the best compound movements.

I'm intrigues about your aesthetic, since 14% body fat is pretty damn good. Perhaps it's more realistic to add a couple percent on to avoid deluding yourself, unless you really are at this low a percentage. If so, then props to you man.

I see you like your cereal, crisps and other carb-heavy shit. If you're aiming to cut body fat, then of course, you're going to want to be in a deficit. Protein- and fat-dense foods are more satiating that carb-dense foods, so you may find substituting carbs for fat- and protein-rich foods. You'll also find your cravings go down a lot if you keep away from sugary shit and pastries/baked goods/cereal.

Props for the dedication to the spreadsheet and tracking as you are. I use MyFitnessPal, which makes things a lot easier due to the ability to scan shit and save foods/drinks that you've already scanned and frequently consume.

BrewDog do much better beer than Punk IPA btw ;)

13. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    4k cals.... I think you'll be OK when you need to bulk xD

Logging is on point bro.

Jack likes this.
  14. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    haha that was 2000 kcal for 1 whole pizza, apparently that isn't an estimate either I guess it's literally bread cheese and pepperoni so i could see how it would add up. I'm pretty bad when it comes to over-eating so when I order out I tend to eat way too fucking much.

oh god, well you can see when I put them up tomorrow, If I am there it will be just pure luck that my diet/lifestyle is the way it is. That's also pretty disappointing in a way, I was hoping I had a lot of room to change my look but if i'm already in a good spot maybe I don't have much room to change? Probably just insecurity speaking there though.

Yeah my next aim is to try and minimise my carb intake as much as possible, I wasn't really sure how to go about it though but your advice makes sense, I'll try and aim for higher fat content and also start tracking fat intake from tomorrow. Breakfast is difficult though, cereal/muesli and yogurt is so easy, I guess I could try just fruit and yogurt or something but then that doesn't feel substantial enough for a meal.

I did have a look at this in the past, but it seemed to be missing so much stuff I figured it was easier just to manually count and that's worked pretty well so far.

I'll keep an eye out and report back.

15. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Hmm, I'd double check that as, unless you're buying non-brand crispy seaweed from an unlicensed Asian mini-mart, I've found the food/drink coverage to be very extensive.

I do IF, which was a difficult transition to begin with, but now I don't even think about breakfast - just down a shit-tonne of water and you're golden.
    Instead of going straight IF, try drinking more water in the morning and eating less cereal and a little more fruit,

16. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    It was a while ago but I remember trying to find stuff like a particular package of some food, there were different options of the same or similar things but not that exact packet? Pretty sure it was something standard from sainsbury's as well. I didn't try scanning though, just searching it up. Either way for now I'm enjoying writing it all up myself, it's got the added bonus of getting real good at mental math which helps with my work.

Intermittent fasting? I've messed around with fasting before but it wreaked absolute havoc on my digestive system so I stayed away from it, could be I just tried too much too early though, I'll look into it.

I think the core thing is that I need to be content not being completely full, I get very slight cravings which I guess is down to the amount of sugar I consume, probably carbs as well... It means I end up eating in between meals when my body has no real right or reason to be demanding food.

Over the next week i'll focus on cutting out as much sugar and carb as possible and lower my overall portion sizes. That + drinking more water probably sounds like an all around smart move.

17. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I second water.

Check out super hydration on Dr.darden.com.

18. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    well, I took some progress photos. I see a minor difference but I guess this is more to see how I change in the long run, I'll make sure next weeks ones get done a little in advance so I can submit the goal update in one go. I'll also grab a pair of shorts so I can record how my legs develop as well. I spent a good couple of mins comparing to bf% charts although they all seem to be mixed up, I've ordered a decent tape measure so I can finally get an accurate measurement.

Interesting that I thought I would be more less self conscious about posting these, I guess that's pretty natural. I definitely need a haircut, and I've always had bad skin but really looking at the difference between how red my face and forearms are vs my torso is a bit of a shock.

Link

19. James

James Host

20. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    @James Appreciate it man, it feels pretty good honestly, and it'll be a nice little boost looking back to the early pictures when I get where I want to go.