1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Goal Lose 1% Body fat by March 15th while sticking to my exercise plan.

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by Jack, Jan 17, 2018.

?

Should I include the number of times I smoke with my weekly report?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    16.7%

Goal: Lose 1% Body fat by March 15th while sticking to my exercise plan. by March 15, 2018 (finished)

100%

Closed

Member Jack commits to the following actions to achieve this goal

Track kcal intake keeping a 500 deficit. Attend the gym/cardio sessions 3 times each per 7 days.

1. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: The previous update has been rated.

The score was: 4.50.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 04 Feb 2018

2. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal update is due.

Please submit an update on your goal progress.

3. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Everyone gave great advice, keep it up @Jack. Well done on committing with the pictures. You will leverage more out of this challenge by making it personal.

Jack likes this.
  4. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:

Goal Update

Okay so this week was a total clusterfuck, we opened a new space at work and it meant there was a lot to get done. That said I still lost 1kg I'm down to bang on 12 stone/76.2kg from 12.2 stone/77.4kg.

I did not manage to keep up calorie logging due to a lot of quick lunches being grabbed and eating stuff that wasn't easily accounted for.

The exercise plan is being kept to on the gym side, minor hiccup this weekend because I had to work later than the gym stayed open but responsibilities to my wallet come first, I'm squatting 65kg, benching 40kg, OHP was up to 40kg as well but today I had to take that down to 35kg. I've been substituting Rows and Deadlifts with horizontal chin ups doing 2 x 5 with a wide grip and 2/3x5 with a tight grip depending on how sore I am afterwards. I've also been throwing in some extra planking and and 2x15 2.5kg side lateral raises because I feel like my shoulders aren't getting much of a workout with 5x5 (that I can tell anyway).

Cardio is still a bust for now, it's feeling tough to fit in but I'm keeping my step count high by choosing to walk everywhere possible rather than take public transport or cycle. I am going to keep pushing to get some running in but it's going to be tough.

Over all I feel like it's going well, I got a compliment from some of the people I work with saying they noticed I had gotten bigger but I think that might just be my posture improving as I'm trying to monitor it constantly. I feel like I'm mostly making steady progress forwards with both weight loss and muscle growth.

For the next week I need to get back on proper logging of food because I reckon the reason I had to drop back down a bit on my OHP was due to not getting enough protein, and if that's the cost of not tracking properly I definitely don't want to let that happen again.

Again I'll have to update progress pictures tomorrow due to shit lighting because I'm running late. I'll take the time to clean up my calorie tracking spreadsheet and measure body fat % and put it all up tomorrow midday.

Voting on this update has closed.

5. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Nothing can substitute for a heavy deadlift set xD

I wouldn't worry about accessory work yet regarding your shoulders. If you get to be able to press your bodyweight you won't have small shoulders.

Planking is always good. Alpha destiny is a big proponent of maximising core strength using planks, good mornings and reverse hypers.

Always a good sign!

6. Gort

Gort Robot

The score was: 4.33.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 11 Feb 2018

7. Gort

Gort Robot

8. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:

Goal Update

It's feeling a bit like groundhog day, the last week was the same as the previous, the dust still hasn't settled at work so it's keeping things interesting. Not giving myself enough time to do a proper weekly grocery trip meant there was a lot of eating things as I could get them, and not tracking things.

I kept up with gym stuff again, and i'm still seeing nice steady progress on squats and bench, I also added some accessory exercises to my chin ups/core work and the routine I've built will continue to replace deadlift and rows. I've done some research into what might be causing me issues here and although at the moment it's self diagnosed, I'm fairly certain I have Anterior pelvic tilt. It would explain my posture/balance issues, and my old lifestyle checks all of the causes, I've got a couple of reliable looking sources on daily stretches/exercises that should help me correct this. The last thing to note is that my over head press has hit a wall at 40kg. My current thinking is this is down to bad form, so I'm going to drop back down to something more manageable and really focus on what I'm working in my arms.

Due to falling behind on controlling my diet I have gone back up to 12.1 stone/76.8 kg, as of today I've been making sure to log everything as soon as I eat it using the MyFitnessPal app. It's hard to tell if the weight gained is muscle or fat but it's irrelevant, the real problem was failing to track all intake.

Someone nicked my tripod so once I hunt it down I'll update with another progress picture, I'll also get around to finally doing my bf% calculations at the same time. In one of the other threads someone mentioned when setting a goal it might be useful to write down all the ways you might try and trick yourself out of keeping up with it, I'm going to do that as well.

@Tom Dude I actually can't wait to do deadlifts and rows properly, but I feel like risking my back isn't an option. I know a couple people who suffer from serious back problems and it has instilled the fear of god into me.

More people are commenting on me going to the gym/getting bigger but at this point I feel like it's becoming a meme or something, it's pretty irritating and at times feels condescending although I'm 100% certain that's just me being insecure about getting attention.

9. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Super common. I've read a strong lower abdomen helps too.

Definitely could be gains. You will be seeing a rapid gains at the moment.

Could always do cable rows or 1 arm dumbbell rows where you support a straight back with one arm?

As for deadlifts, have a look at rackpulls. Much safer than deadlifts. High rep rack pulls would be the safest exercise ever xD

Just own it and think of it when nearly at failure.

Solid work man.

10. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Heard of the crab bucket analogy? This is an example of it, right here.
    Keep up the progress and - pardon the cliche - fuck the haters.

Sounds petty as fuck.

Definitely get into deadlifts when you're more confident, but if you're at all injured, then stay away from them like they're the plague.
    As @Tom rightly said, there are alternatives.

11. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Just googled it..... @Jack I think @Shaney96 is right. H8TerS gUnNa H8. Keep going bro.

12. James

James Host

Could be many things. Wouldn't assume it's crab mentality to begin with. Just try to smile and nod it away. Sometimes the new thing you're doing is all that person knows about what you're currently doing, so they see it as easy small talk. If you're insecure you should assume on the benevolent side.

Of course, if you make some jacked friends, they'll comment on your puny-ness... Only way to stop getting comments is to be exactly the same as others. Which won't do unless they're above you.

Definitely an important exercise. Row for instance is the muscular counterpart to bench. Having them balanced improves posture. If you're not confident, at least having lessons on these ones will be a big help.

13. Gort

Gort Robot

The score was: 3.33.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 18 Feb 2018

14. Gort

Gort Robot

15. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:

Goal Update

Right, sorry it's running late. I wanted to at least get a goal update in but I have read all your replies and I appreciate the input, I'll take some time tomorrow to properly reply since I'm only working the morning.

This week was similar to the last two, weight at least remained the same, and kept up with my gym commitments.

MyFitnessPal is a great tool, but my bane is still eating stuff I can't count. The last week can be summed up by being stuck having to choose eating healthy delicious food that I can't accurately count, or sub-par supermarket food that I can at least track. I think the simplest solution is meal planning. I'm having trouble finding the time to plan out a ton of meals that I can reliably cook, then go to the supermarket and get the ingredients so that's going to be my goal for this coming week. As I said, afternoon off tomorrow, so there isn't any excuse for me not to have that sorted once I finish work. I might even try and get the shop done straight after I finish.

I'm also very aware that I still haven't updated progress pictures or bf%. The weeks seem to be flying by and before I know it it's the next update due and I still haven't gotten around to it.

This weeks priorities are a light schedule to start reigning in my time management or lack of, and make some simple salad lunch pots I can take in to work so I can eat well while also knowing what I'm eating.

16. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    @Jack Solid work man.

Just a suggestion, maybe try adding beans to the salad pot. Pretty lean ~200 cals, quick and easy (don't have to cook, just rinse) and cheap.

17. Gort

Gort Robot

The score was: 3.20.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 25 Feb 2018

18. Gort

Gort Robot

19. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I noticed you have been having a hard time properly eating. Put it in your mind that 80% of your success will come from what you put into your body. A long time ago, I would eat two hot dogs, a coke and a poutine after every workout as a reward. Even if I went four times a week, I never got ripped and felt bloated. I looked lean, but it did not represent the effort put into the gym. Simply because of bad food choices.

If food planning is too much, I suggest printing a grocery list(I use this one) and buy whatever is on that list that you fancy(on the spot). You might not end up cooking something from a recipe book, but with a couple of ingredients you can often figure something out on the fly. I'm a big fan of (salads or stir-fries) + a source of protein.

Finally, if you are really stuck on time, you can buy a bag of organic mixed-frozen veggies with a source of protein and eat that every day of the week.

That could also be a projection of their fear that you are willing to commit to a goal and that they are watching off the sidelines... if anyone is insecure it's them. Better not enter their game, don't even let the thoughts touch the doorstep of your mind.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    James likes this.
  20. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Update not submitted.

The goal update was not submitted within the time limit.