1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

New feature: Inspirers

Discussion in 'Admin' started by James, Mar 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. James

James Host

The Inspirers tab has been added.

Its purpose is to build a list of winners, and then to develop this into a model of success.

The basic heuristic for someone qualifying for the Inspirers list is:
    • Men who attained an exceptional level of success in life.
    • The attainment was exceptionally higher than their starting point.
    • It is reasonably conceivable that a man starting at an equal or greater starting point, could achieve within an order of magnitude of their level of success, if they replicated their efforts.
    • Their income is not primarily derived from their advice-giving
    The motivation for this is what is known as the power law of return (or 'hockey stick' in layman's terms). It is exceptionally rare than any man, especially those in weak positions in their lives, are in the company of any men in the blade of the hockey stick. Their parents, teachers, friends, bosses, are all in the shaft of the hockey stick.

For men who are not satisfied in their lives, and go looking for self-improvement, this point is critical. You cannot afford to be following the example and words of mediocre men, due to the hockey stick. That's a luxury for guys who are already in a decent position. You need to follow the example of the pinnacle of men, for one simple reason: even you even attained 100th the success they had, it would transform your life.

All men on that list share 99.9% of our DNA, and have the same 24 hours a day. We can't have any of them as mentors (that would be ideal), but the next best thing is studying their example.

Going forward, this list will be added to and honed into whatever form is most useful to go-getters.

2. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Interesting idea @James.

I'm intrigued: are those currently featured on this list people who mean something to you - have inspired you in some way throughout your life and indirectly taught you lessons?

3. James

James Host

None of them individually mean anything to me. The biggest lesson is viewing them all in aggregate. One man's success could just be due to his individual peculiarities. But when a dozen winners all did similar things, that's a lesson.

The more of them you read about, the more the patterns jump out. None of them had deference to school (rich drop-outs is almost cliche); all of them got up early and worked long hard hours; all of them jumped assertively at opportunity; all of them owned equity in what they did (Stallone wisely didn't just sell the script); all had a distinct lack of taking other people's shit; and so on.

But there's also information in the lack of patterns. Li Ka-shing, the richest guy in Asia, got his initial riches making plastic flowers. Dominic McVey was a millionaire at 15 just selling some scooters. Zemurray was a millionaire at 20 just selling bananas. So there's limitless ways to win.

Also the variety in starting points. Trump could've just partied his inheritance away, but he channeled it into becoming big enough to eventually take the US presidency. On the other end of the scale, Chung Ju-yung could've just wallowed on his father's farm, but instead he shot for the stars and ended up with $60B and national prestige.

The core lesson I get from them is this: if that farm boy could make $60B, what the hell's our excuse? If some random poor Israeli guy called 'Chaim' could reach limitless tail with his over-the-top rock band, some guy who can't get a girl can get a girl. That's the nature of the inspiration.

But overall I'm becoming increasingly cynical of advice as a form of guidance, as I'm just not seeing it working that often. I think inspiration is massively more powerful. Humans are more "monkey see monkey do" than "monkey was told to do it as advice so now he'll do it".

That's one more pattern that jumped out from many winners. A tendency to seek out mentorship from superior men. Watching Pumping Iron could never yield 100th the power of actual mentorship from Schwarzenegger. Can you imagine being under his mentorship and not showing up for the gym? Unthinkable.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    Tom, Fundinn and Shaney96 like this.
  4. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Yes, absolutely. Showing how it's done, instead of giving advice goes a long way. My rule in real life is to give no advice to anyone unless they ask for it specifically. And even then, I think most teachers will agree that you don't want to make it too easy on the student. Unless there's something fatal going on, most of us can figure it out by trial and error:

A teacher is never a giver of truth - he is a guide, a pointer to the truth that each student must find for himself. A good teacher is merely a catalyst. - Bruce Lee, from the book Striking Thoughts

I believe that I cannot have power over myself as I have an ingrained desire to integrate among people and cultures and would end up resembling them; - Nassim Nicholas Taleb, from the book Fooled by Randomness.

The context of the quote is how Nassim decided to purposely cut himself off of people who were detrimental to his values, as he would surely fall prey to becoming like them.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    James likes this.
  5. James

James Host

I like Taleb; he's what I call "allergic to bullshit".