1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Brainstorming Priorities for the school year

Discussion in 'Misc' started by Kostadin, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I've got 6 more days before starting school again. I'll be 11th grade, my penultimate year. My last school year was my best one I ever had, partly thanks to the people here. Feeling at ease and having May and June for myself while watching my schoolmates drinking coffee after coffee in order to catch up was one of the most satisfactory things I've witnessed. I want to make this year even better.

Here are the things I want to accomplish in the following school year:
    1) Finishing with only As not just for the year, but for the two terms we have. (last year I had one B in History for the first term)
    2) Progressing with calisthenics onto more intermediate movements - front lever, planche, handstand push-ups, human flags, dragon flags. This will require a lot of dedication and time. I work out at home - I have a pull-up bar, gymnastics rings and just recently I got myself parallettes. As I said before, I've been doing r/bodyweightfitness' recommended routine an year and a half. And since it is a full body routine that you do three times a week, I'm at a loss with how to keep working on all my muscles and train for those movements effectively.
    3) My current active goal is about preparing for the C2 exam I'll be taking this December. I think I'll greatly benefit from learning another language. Over the years I've studied a fair amount of German and Russian, very little Japanese and Korean. In order to make an informed decision as to what would be a good second language for me, I need to sort myself out as far as where I want to be studying after 12th grade. German and Russian are both safe options. I'm interested to hear different opinions on the matter.
    4) Meditation. I used Headspace's free starter meditation pack (look up the app) and I definitely saw results. I need to set myself a particular time of the day to meditate for at least 15 minutes.

I'm currently delighted with my daily routine - I wake up at 6 AM and go to bed at around 23 PM. I need some time to wake up in the morning though. The main reason is probably exposing myself to electronics late at night. I think having 9 PM as an hour after which I shouldn't engage in such activities should do the job.

Just an year ago, when I didn't have the social contacts I have now, I was used to being alone for a long time. Currently it feels like I crave social contact, which is a bad thing obviously. In order to accomplish all of my goals I need to get comfortable with being alone again. That being said, I don't want to stay inside for 9 months. My idea is to structure my schedule so that I don't ever leave homework for the weekends, and have them for myself. How am I going to do it? As I mentioned, I have two shifts: from 7:30 AM to 1 PM, and from 1:30 PM to 7 PM. We change them every month. When I have the morning shift, I need to get home, eat and then do my homework ASAP and work out. (I should probably divide my homework in two sessions in order not to get to worn up and also in order to work out before the sun sets) When I have the evening one, I need once again to get home, eat, do as much of my homework before going to sleep so as to have time to work out in the morning.

That's it for now. I want to make a new goal concerning the entirety of daily regime during the school year no later than Sunday 23th.

2. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    You make me blush, @Kostadin

Man, if you can pull off a human flag, I'd be beyond impressed.

I don't believe it's a bad thing, and is only natural for you to have this craving since you spent a year socializing. I think trying to just rid of this craving will only lead to it being repressed, and coming back to bite you as frustration and anxiety. I think it'll be healthy for you to spend some time each day socializing as a means to keeping in line with what you've been used to for a year.

Have you got a rough plan of all individual goals, times for each activity, and how you'll structure days/weeks? What exactly can we do on here to help you create this goal?

3. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    If you've been doing their routine for a year and a half and you are at a loss on how to do those specific movements you might want to consider paying for a 3 hour private coaching session. Or maybe your father(who, from what I remember is into fitness) could give you some tips?

I spent three months in Japan and the language was tough as hell for me. I met a 16 year old German DJ who spoke functional Japanese, he learned in about 6 months, it's mighty impressive, and also proves that it's doable. He was doing an exchange in Japan though, which is much different to reading material from home. It's a popular language and it's usually easy to find Meetup groups to practice it.

It's very subjective, but I find German to be a very dry language. Took 6 months of Russian and thought it was pretty easy, I was attracted by the country itself though, so it's really up to you. If you are aiming at straight A's, maybe taking something you feel confident in will give you room to breath on other material.

According to the book Sleep Smarter, it's about 2 hours before bed. So you are right on point. I disable my wifi and I don't have any 'fun' apps on my phone.

As far as finding time to study, I used to enjoy Sunday nights. It helped me get back into it and feel primed for Monday without losing nights out on friday and saturday.

4. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Yeah, I agree on this. I just have some days where I don't feel like doing anything but having a chit-chat, which is the problem. I guess I'll inevitably get used to it, as I'm always quite busy during the school year.
    The movements are in the "harder section" for a reason. Also the routine itself does not include progressing to those movements. I'll look into some other routines that will be more suitable for my goal. Private coaching session on that kind of stuff in my town will be hard to find, but I'll try. And as far as my father is concerned, he has been doing nothing but hitting the weights for the last 20+ years. I've asked him some stuff before, the subject isn't in his area of expertise.
    What were your learning methods?

I don't think I'll be able to make a timetable that I will be able to commit to fully. My idea is to study all the lessons I was given during the day ASAP, effectively being prepared for the next week almost entirely, only doing some small rehearsals and studying the new thing. This way, if I ever have to get my hands on something more important, I'll be able to do it without worrying that I'll fall behind. Now the execution is quite a different matter.
    I think creating a shirt list of things that are really important and cannot be removed even if I need to study extra is the way to do it. Meditation, reading, sport, times to go to sleep/wake up. If you think there is anything other beneficial that I could add, let me know and I'll present a kind-of-a-schedule.

Notes to myself:
    Looking up other routines;
    Creating a new goal by the end of the week.

5. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Private tutoring by a lovely Russian lady ;), and I also used material she didn't provide by loaning books from the public library. That way I had two sources of truths. Eventually I started watching movies and boxing fights in russian. If you can immerse yourself it will really shift the way to relate to the language, because it puts your knowledge to use. I would have wanted to go as far as finding markets owned by russians to have small talk and do orders in russian.

I say, make an honest routine. By that I mean allocate some leisure time to do whatever you want with no second-thought of guilt or culpability for taking the time to relax and play games and go out. If those activities have a space in your routine, you will better enjoy them and you won't be mixing fun-time with work-time*.

It might not work for everyone, but you might find out that by a clear delimitation you can really enjoy being off.

*One step further is to make up your own relationship with that work is, if it's a hassle, maybe the approach to what seems 'bothersome' is the problem, not the activity itself.

Kostadin likes this.
  6. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I looked into other routines. One of the moderators of r/bodyweightfitness who also has his own website and has been in the business of sports for quite a while has this free 3/7 days a week routine - push; pull; legs and core. After reading it I saw that it has what I'm looking for - emphasis on strength, mobility and skills - one hand push-ups, handstand push-ups, muscle ups, etc. I'm going to give it a try for 2-3 months and then reflect on the experiences.

School year started with a bang. I needn't go into too much detail, but, basically, I was showered (metaphorically) with a number of ice-cold buckets throughout the first two weeks. I may have mentioned it before, but I'm going to do it again - in Bulgaria our elementary and high-schools run on the 2 shifts system (7:30 - 13:00;13:30 - 19:00) due to insufficient base, too many high-schools as institutions (people who hardly studied for the first seven years and have less than a solid C can be accepted in 4-5 different high-schools...) and other reasons. And yours truly hates it. Keeping a routine is a nightmare, especially during the second shift. (because your actual study time is divided in two parts, one of which is right after school ends, but you can't use it for sports for example because it's too late, etc)
    But I have to try anyway. This month I'm first shift, (side note: I may be the only person in the country that actually likes that shift, sorry people who feel the need to get wasted during the work-week) and establishing and following a routine will be easier. Here's the draft:

Waking up: 6:00; followed by a breakfast (*question number 1 at the bottom) and getting ready for school. I need to include meditation time here.
    7:00 - leaving for school; getting back home by 13:30.
    13:30 - 14:30 - eating, a bit of relaxation
    14:30-19:00 - studying (17:00-19:00 exercising on workout days)
    19:00-20:30 - dinner, family time, you know the drill
    20:30 - 22:30 - finishing up with the studies if there are any left, or spending time doing things that aren't hard on the eyes and mind - guitar, reading books, writings something creative, drawing, etc.
    22:30 -23:00 - preparing for sleep (including meditation)

Weekends:
    Waking up at 6. Studying and mandatory stuff done by lunch time so that I can enjoy the other part of the day fully.

Looking at the list this way, I might be able to extend my studying time (during the week days) even further. But for now, let's try this.

Question time:
    Should I have a breakfast in the morning and if yes, what kind? My current meal times are 6:20 breakfast; 10:40 - brunch, I guess?; 13:30 - lunch; 19:00 - dinner. (when I'm first shift)
    I have a problem with concentration during classes. Especially during math classes, partly because of the noisy atmosphere. How can one keep his focus in such situations?

Assuming that my "schedule" doesn't get too much criticism, I'll be making a new goal ASAP (that's going to include some other stuff as well). If it does, I'm going to redact it and then make the new goal.

7. James

James Host

But what are you planning to achieve? I think you mentioned getting all As, but you did that last time also, right? Is there a plan regarding what you're getting the As for?

8. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Aside from a small ego boost and the "generous" monthly scholarship of less than 12 USD, all those marks go to my diploma. If I decide to study abroad, they aren't going to be the most important thing. But if I stay here in Bulgaria, having a very high overall score is definitely going to help.
    Aside from the mandatory school stuff, I'd like to give the national competition in programming a go. Recently I've been thinking about this sector quite a lot. I'll go to the English competition as well. I'll be looking for some other smaller/local competitions, essay writing, etc.

9. James

James Host

Sounds good!