1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Goal Quit smoking

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by Jack, Dec 30, 2017.

Goal: Clear my addiction to nicotine from my system by January 20, 2018 (finished)

100%

Completed

Member Jack commits to the following actions to achieve this goal

Consume no products containing nicotine and report my progress.

1. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:

Goal Approval

As the title reads I want to quit, I relapsed after quitting for almost 3 years due to a holiday and letting myself think I could "just smoke for a week".

Maybe it's too small of a goal on its own but I think using this as my first one could be a great starting point. I can give myself something achievable in the short-medium term and prove to myself that I can commit.

I quit cold turkey before and I intend to do so again (starting yesterday). From what I have read it takes two weeks for withdrawal symptoms to ease and that lines up with what I remember from last time, so I will set the goal to run for the minimum of three weeks, two weeks to flush my system and one week to hammer it home.

I would like people's opinions on whether to do a daily or weekly report. It might feel quite satisfying to do a quick daily message like "1/21 - Success", but then that would also flood the thread, another option would be I could note it down by hand somewhere else, then compile that in a weekly update?

If you guys have any other tips, ideas or whatever else I'm eager to hear them.

2. James

James Host

Goal looks good.

I would like to hear a bit more about how you will galvanize that action commitment though: e.g. you've already dispose of any cigarettes you have, you're not going to join any "smoking breaks" group anymore (that you currently do when they go to smoke), how you intend to respond when you're really itching for a cigarette, going drinking if that always means you smoke, etc.

Probably best, yes, but it's up to you. Maybe a paper calendar on your wall you can tick off, so it's in your face everyday and you don't do something stupid like ruin the calendar with a cross.

The weekly update comes due automatically every Sunday anyway, so your weekly report can go in there. Of course, you can still report things about it here outside of that, on an ad-hoc basis as you feel fit.

3. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    So I gave the last of my tobacco to a friend who I know will smoke it quickly, it's gone and I can't get it back. I also deliberately quit half way through a pack, no "last cigarette" or making a ceremony out of it as I feel like that is counter productive.

I plan on concentrating on self improvement for the first couple months of the year("Monk Mode") so I intend to minimise social participation to seeing people who I feel honestly deserve/want my time, and I have just started messing with a diet change to try Keto. My aim is to stop drinking completely to begin with because of all that, then ease back into it once I'm not using it as a crutch in social situations but hardly if ever to excess. The result of all this is that I won't be around smokers and I won't be weakening my resolve with alcohol.

For dealing with cravings it might sound stupid but when I'm in the right frame of mind they barely even register. So far focusing on my improvement/ visualising why I am quitting and then where I plan to be later down the line seems to bring me to a place where I can control the cravings, a few deep breaths followed by a glass of cold water also seems to help so I've been doing that. That said it has been less than 48 hours, it's not a problem now but allegedly 3 days in is when it's at it's worst.

I've created a sticky note using the windows app, its got a line/date for each day and I'll cross off each one as I go. Since I use my computer a lot this is very in my face so it should do the trick.

Tom and James like this.
  4. James

James Host

Cool, looks solid.

Seems voters are a bit scarce today, so I'll admin-vote to approve it so it's active before new year.

Jack likes this.
  5. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal approved!

The community voted to approve this goal as Doable and SMART.
    Now, do your best to succeed! Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 07 Jan 2018.

6. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal update is due.

Please submit an update on your goal progress.

7. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:

Goal Update

Okay so, update for the last 7/8 days. It's gone pretty smoothly, I haven't had trouble controlling day to day withdrawal symptoms, but I have had three relapses. Below is a screencap of how I'm tracking it, waiting till near the end of each day then marking if that days was a success or not. Then, if it was a failure, how much I smoked.

[​IMG]

So as you can see, there were two days I smoked, combined that's 3 times in the space of 9 days. I'll list them and maybe someone can advise.

First time was new years, smoked some weed to celebrate the countdown, wasn't sober at the time so that's fairly simple. I don't often partake so I just need to say no when those rare occasions do pop up and I should be golden.

Second time was last night, A pretty relaxed birthday celebration for a friend, most likely because I was nervous of the social situation as I was sober. I don't feel the urge to smoke now as I write this, and I felt pretty disgusting while coming home last night so I'm not too concerned with being able to complete the goal. I mostly just feel disappointed that I lacked the discipline.

Here's to next week being 100% clean.

Voting on this update has closed.

8. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I'd say pretty solid start considering you are going yolo cold turkey! Hope you can get clean man! My nan stopped early 20's, all her friends didn't..... She's the only one left alive............

zanemwarwick, James and Jack like this.
  9. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    It seems like you're doing well. I have never smoked anything, so I can't really relate to what you're going or give you advice. But I can motivate you a bit, if you don't mind.
    Imagine talking to somebody who never tried smoking or your younger self. Give reasons why they should never even have a go. Think about how your life would have been different if you never went beyond the first try. Write down all of this, and whenever you feel down, read it out loud.
    Good luck!

James likes this.
  10. James

James Host

Might need to think of some replacement prop or behaviour for in these cases then.

11. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    This sounds like a great idea, I'm going to try it out.

Yeah, I definitely need to be able to put myself in situations like that again, I'll have a think and see if can come up with a planned response I can turn to when I get those awkward moments.

12. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: The previous update has been rated.

The score was: 3.25.

No more progress updates will come due on this goal (but you can still post them).
    Your goal results will come due on Sat, 20 Jan 2018

13. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal update is due.

Please submit an update on your goal progress.

14. James

James Host

Alright looks like it's asking for the update it should've asked for last Sunday.

@Jack if you can drop that update ASAP it would be best, to avoid a clash with the result submission.

15. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:

Goal Update

@James Sure thing, I was a bit confused when it gave me two weeks leeway after the last submission.

In short I definitely underestimated how much of a challenge this goal was going to be.

As you can see by my tracking below I have far from kept to my commitment to not consume any nicotine and while I am down about 90% of what I was smoking previously, I'm not even close to happy with that result. I'll do what I can until the result submission, and continue afterwards.

[​IMG]

I think the main reason It hasn't worked as it did last time is because in my current frame of mind a part of me doesn't actually want to quit. That's down to a mix of addiction and personal weakness of character. When I quit before it felt effortless because I found the act unpleasant. I was trying to do more exercise and smoking was making it painful so it felt natural to quit because I wanted to be able to run with clear lungs. Also as a healthier person both physically and mentally I was prioritising my improvement with things like paying attention to appearance and smell, all things which smoking negatively affects.

With that in mind as I move into my next goal maybe I can recreate those same conditions, I'm going to go for a run tomorrow as it's an off day from the gym and that should hopefully clarify what I really want. Also as I see myself improving and gain confidence I don't doubt smoking will become less and less appealing to me.

I guess if we count goals as being either successful or failures this makes the communities first failed goal, which is something I don't want to ever let myself forget, it's shameful but I can use that to make sure I never let it slip again. I also learned a lot about my priorities and the way my head is working at the moment, so maybe not a total failure.

Also it's not over, I still have 3 more days I can go clean, and that's what I'm aiming for.

Voting on this update has closed.

16. James

James Host

Digging your own grave Jack

Questions:
    • What made you break the run on 11/1 ?
    • What are the patterns behind when you take a smoke? Times/situations etc
    For the follow up re-attempt goal, you'll have to have some more detailed procedures in place for when you have a desire to smoke, such as going for a swim, meditation, chewing a gum, etc.

You can put those ideas in the result report that comes due this weekend, for debrief purposes.

Also I advise for the next craving, start a stopwatch. Sit in that urge and take it. Grimace in the discomfort like a man. When the urge subsides, stop the stopwatch. You now have an approx. reading on how long you'll have to sit through the next one. Quantity means clarity.

17. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    I'm trying to think back but my memory is not strong, I worked that day but not with anyone who smokes, so that couldn't have been it. I must have done something that evening.

The biggest pattern I see is being around others who smoke, especially while at work as there are a lot of dead moments where other members of staff go and smoke outside our shop, which is almost half open to the street so it is quite a common occurrence. Seeing them enjoying a smoke and a coffee is quite difficult if I am already in a frame of mind that "I smoke" as it was/is one of my favourite rituals.

The stopwatch idea is a very good one, although in many cases the cravings don't feel like they appear and subside in short bursts, that may just be my own perception of the situation though, I will try it out.

18. James

James Host

Well you're going to have to make up your mind if it's more important to be "in the smoking crew", or retain your health. The social fitting-in of this cafe may be important and pleasurable to you now, but in 5 years you won't have anything to show for it but damaged lungs and poor fitness & health.

You can just drink the coffee, but then you're reflecting upon them that "smoking is bad" by your very non-smoking. So you'll be socially frowned upon even though it's for simply not doing something self-destructive. This is the crabs-in-the-bucket effect that pervades those groups. It's possible none of them were even smokers to begin with -- they just all got started by wanting to fit in.

So as I see it you have 4 choices:
    • Go out but don't smoke, and accept the social resistance to that
    • Don't go out, and feel lonely
    • Smoke & ruin your body
    • Get a new job

zanemwarwick likes this.
  19. Jack

Jack Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Yeah, this is bang on the money. In fact I honestly believe this is how 99.9% of people who smoke started, hell I saw it happen to a lot of people I grew up with, including myself. It's "oh that looks cool and exciting" and by extension "those people/that lifestyle looks cool and exciting".

I'll go with choice 2. At this age I think it is more to do with the physical enjoyment I get out of smoking rather than a need to fit in, so social resistance isn't really an issue, it kind of motivates me because it turns it into a competition. Really though it doesn't make much of a difference. The end result is the same. As you say, is whatever I get out of smoking worth the cost both later in life and now.

I honestly think my best bet is try to recreate the situation and frame of mind I was in when I quit before, focus on improving my health through exercise and prove to my body it isn't viable to continue damaging my lungs. Once I start, and begin gaining confidence, I will want to make sure I present myself as best as possible. Smoking doesn't fit into the image I have of my ideal, so hopefully that will give me more stregnth to fight off cravings long term.

I know I also need to watch out for blurring the lines between goals though. Saying "once i succeed in my other goal, this previous failure will be overwritten" probably isn't healthy, but the two are tightly linked which is why I put the poll on my other goal. If you still think that mixing the two up will be detrimental, then I'll delete the poll and keep them separate(I'm also keenly aware that my posts are flooding the fitness forum so I thought combining the two I could offset some of that).

20. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    It's a bit of a long story, but after experiencing starvation I became addicted to binge eating. I got out of it during a ten day silent meditation retreat where I watched myself relentlessly. As I thought about breakfast and lunch, I noticed that my saliva glands would go nuts and the craving would begin. The teacher then said something pretty wise that got me out of the addiction: "You aren't actually addicted to the food, you are addicted to the sensation that the food procures to you."

You don't want the cigarettes, Jack. Watch yourself carefully and observe that feeling. It WILL pass away.

Other things:
    - Chewing gum for starters
    - Leave the cigarettes home, forces you to ask for them every-time you want one at the cafe
    - Give 5 bucks to someone your accountable to every-time he sees you smoke at the cafe, that will sting you
    - Give meaning to quitting. It's not just for you, think of the people it can affect, your friends, your family, future kids, the spare cash you will get, the sense of duty and self-denial

Attack this problem on all fronts. Willpower is a muscle, but sometimes the steps are too high, give yourself all the chances.

Tom, Jack and James like this.