1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Brainstorming Rebuilding after my masters

Discussion in 'Misc' started by Tom, May 10, 2018.

1. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I'm back bois.

I submitted my thesis electronically at 6:38 on 10/05/18. I'm trashed.

I have a lot to rebuild. Social life, health, routine ect.

I'm thinking the best way forward from here is that initially I build a routine and stick to it for 2-3 weeks. This will have to involve revision for my only exam on the start of May. Only one exam - stuff it, lets try and get 100%.

After this I will add meal prep into the routine 2-3 weeks prior to a much needed cut. I'm not massive, I will look small in medium t-shirts but for health and girls (heh) I need to get sub 15%. I weigh ~166 and will probably need to drop to ~150lbs, bouncing back up to 152-3 after gaining water weight.

i also need a job. A bro at uni wants me to live with him and 2 other girls. This will provide an excellent base for social development, be it friends in a new location and pulling girls. I need an income though.

I know I've mentioned girls twice already. BUT I think the routine should be nailed done before I introduce a girl.

This routine will go on for 28 days, which is apparently the time for things to become a habit.

This is my next proposed goal. To stick to the following:

Get up at 8:30.
    Have had a shit and breakfast by 9.
    9-10 - Job hunting/CV development
    10-11: drums, drawing, reading, stretching. Get the juices flowing for revision.
    11-1: revision.
    1-2: dinner/food.
    2-6: revision.
    After 6: leaves the evenings open for gigs, social things, gaming, ect. to have fun again.

This leads me on to the next thing. I struggled doing my masters. To the put where I ended up in Student support discussing quitting in which I ultimately had a meeting with head of school. never been like that before. I nearly got into a fight in the cinema. Bruhs, I'm a nerd?!?! my friend who was with me was concerned about me. So was I xD

i need to have some fun again. Was getting up at 8. getting to uni and getting home at 8.30 to be in bed by ~11 for 4-5 weeks.

So, there's the brain dump/rant. Cleared my head.

Good to be back and I look forward to engaging properly on the forum.

2. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    First off, feels like you have your steps figured out, I like the way you describe each task as an input for the next one. Way the go!

I think you can do a bit better ;)... Even waking up 15 minutes earlier will give you that x7(or 5...4... skipping weekends) for a week. You can keep it fun and challenging, find that middle ground. I don't see any consumption of non-academic material. If you started watching a documentary 15 minutes every morning thanks to that earlier wake up you would be finishing one a week(or at my reading speed; 1 book every 2 weeks). I look forward to waking up early because I spend that time in my bed reading or watching something I find interesting before the day starts.

Can you expand on how you felt and what made you want to quit?

If you were sitting in a chair 90% of the time, I get your point. I used to split my days in half by going to the boxing club to shake things up. It helped a lot. I would eat lunch during lectures, which gave me another thing to do while sitting.

3. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I like that idea. I could listen to some podcasts on youtube to get pumped for 15 minuted then leave bed at 8:30. Some stuff by Mark Manson, some old school RSD ect.

Hit a wall in the learning commons. Started cycling through my spreadsheets/figures and was just like, how to fook do I progress from here? tried to get hold of my supervisor but she was on a field trip for ~11 days. I just went crazy. Really panicked about getting it done/finished/right. Factor in fatugue and stress. I just thought: I'm done. Plus, I haven't really enjoyed the course. Deep down I've wanted to graduate, get a job and develop so much as a person for ages.

I need to add some meal prep time into the plan. Just trying out the routine a bit today. it feels OK.

4. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Did you work consistently from the beginning, or were you catching up? Might want to see how you could avoid getting fatigued in the future. If it happens at school, it can creep out into other areas of your life(I doubt it in your case, but it's good to pay attention to how one thing affects another).

When does the masters end? And now that you submitted your paper does it mean you get to study new material or attend different classes? I stopped my education at the bachelor level and went to work, so I don't know how specific a master's is compared to a bachelor. I was under the impression they gave you more time for research or working for a teacher on something that interests you while attending a couple of specialized classes.

5. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I lagged over Christmas. Struggled with a course, put a lot of time into it then ran out of steam/motivation over Christmas. Then had to catch up from that.

Currently preparing a poster and presentation for Tuesday then I have one exam early June then I'm done. No classes left too.

Spot on. Less contact hours to do your mine project. Classes were super small with the other masters students (~15).

6. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    For definite. We are what we do, and what we do depends on our habits. Find a few things you really think will improve your life, and practise them, until they become habitual. Your routine sounds pretty solid, but it may overwhelm you if you're giving yourself this much pressure after finishing your diss not so long ago. Watch for the burnout.

That's definitely a pretty low weight given your height. If the dieting begins to make you feel physically weak, you know it's time to begin a lean bulk.

Agreed. Since I've had a job, I've been awaking earlier at weekends, and find myself in such a better mood if I can get loads of stuff done by like 12pm.

It's also worth mentioning that myself and Tom met last month, so thanks @James and congrats, as I'd say that's a decent achievement for your site!

James likes this.
  7. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Noted man.

I'm not a bid dude. Just under 6.5 inch wrists that will drop when cutting. Short arms. Not much width. I don't have much mass. I'm expecting to be pretty lean at that weight though. First time ever. Just smash the X small t shirts xD I've decided that aesthetics and the facial aesthetics gained from being lean are step 1 to looking attractive. It comes in above mass every time.

Going down in the history books when you rival Mystery's projects from the oldschool PUA scene!

James and Shaney96 like this.
  8. James

James Host

Cool, I'm glad making this place has been useful to people.

Fundinn likes this.