1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Goal Reduce body fat to 13-14%

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by Shaney96, Aug 11, 2018.

Goal: Reduce body fat to 13-14% by October 15, 2018 (finished)

100%

Completed

Member Shaney96 commits to the following actions to achieve this goal

Consume no more than 12600 calories a week and work out at a gym at least 4 times a week.

1. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Approval

Next weekend I move back to my University city. By the time Uni starts, I'd like my life to be much more on track than it currently is. One of the biggest aspects of this larger goal is to have my body in check.

13-14% is up to interpretation: calipers aren't too accurate, and DEXA scans are expensive and they aren't easily accessible in the UK (https://www.stedavies.com/dexa-scan-uk/) - I don't see them worthwhile for my situation.

I'm probably at around 18-20% at the moment, so 5% is a decent drop, and the results will be obvious. Considering it's 'by eye', you'll be the judge on whether or not I hit my goal, from the pictures I put up that accompany each week's update.

I'm 182lbs now (13 stone...), which I'm pretty sure is the heaviest I've ever been. Assuming I'm 18% body fat, that's 33lbs of fat. Getting down to 13-14% body fat means getting to 24lbs of fat, which is a 9lb loss of fat, resulting in a target weight of 173lbs; I'll therefore give myself 9 weeks to get this goal achieved.

I will achieve this goal through:
    - Eating no more than 1800 calories a day. If I go over one day, I can make up for it on others. What's most important is my weekly total (no more than 12600 calories a week).
    - Working out a minimum of 4 times a week. I must find and stick to a workout plan.
    - Doing cardio each day.

I will help myself with the above through:
    - Starting a gym the Monday after next (2oth of August); I move house next Saturday, so I'll start the proceeding Monday.
    - Eating a low-carb diet.
    - Not buying 'snacky shit' when I do my food shopping.
    - Carrying on intermittent fasting (6-hour eating window each day).
    - Using my bike (well I don't have a car, so I don't exactly have much of a choice).

Proof:
    - Attaching a photo(s) of myself with each weekly update.
    - Tracking calories each day and posting the data weekly..
    - Weighing myself twice each day and posting the data weekly.

Reason for this goal:
    I recall thinking how highly I thought of myself when I was in good shape. Looking at myself and 'admiring' my progress, being proud of myself and feeling no temptation to show off to others, just being proud of my own work, for me. Having an unconscious (and sometimes conscious) knowing of being somewhat physically superior and more physically disciplined than many others gave me a great sense of confidence. And I'd enjoy being around physically fit people, as we could always share ideas etc..

It just puts you in such good psychological steed. So often do I currently find myself thinking low of myself and not wanting to do much. My self-esteem has dropped a good deal over the last year or so, and I think that getting my body in check is the most important step - the foundation - of building great self-esteem and a strong, disciplined life with direction.

2. James

James Host

MyFitnessPal gets recommended a lot for this; but it really is great at this task.

Few questions:
    • Is this your best stretch? That's your lower limit, but what is your target number?
    • Based on the previous goal attempt, what did you identify as causing high calorie intakes? What situations, events etc? I vaguely recall you had a tendency to binge on some days, which undid previous good work.
    • What will you do this time to avoid those events? What will you do when you feel hungry and want to snack and break a fast?

Will you assign specific days of the week for these workouts?
    Is there a ramp up period to avoid beginner's DOMS (delayed-onset muscle soreness) obstructing your plan?
    Will you target a specific number of sets or minutes of exercise per session?

3. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    This is what I'll be using.

With the working out, this'll be 500 calories under my TDEE (or probably more due to my weight gain), meaning 3500 calories burned a week, which is 1lb a week. Burning more than this risks burning off muscle, I've heard. There's no definitive 'consumer less than 500 under TDEE and you'll burn both fat and muscle', but this is the figure that's always been recommended to me.

I don't recall exactly what caused binges. I do recall, however, that at that point in my life I had little-to-no direction, and remember how I thought 'fuck it, why not?' whenever I binged, and didn't give too much of a shit about my figure. My life was pretty off the tracks at that point.
    I'd be strict all week, then my Friday workday would finish and I'd be all like 'what was all that stress and shit for? Fuck this' and would go to the cupboard.

I've done IF for a couple of years, and have cultivated enough discipline to not break until at least 16 hours - I just don't get hungry until like 14 hours. However, when I'm cutting, I do get hungry, and still feel like eating after I've consumed the day's calories. To counter this:
    - Low-carb diet. More satiating foods with no simple sugars. This eliminates those feel-good hormones released when you eat sugary shit.
    - Drink water, and plenty of it. Up to a gallon or more a day has done me no harm in the past. This was probably overkill, but I'll go to drinking more water than I currently do.
    - Be stern when shopping. Absolutely nothing to snack on. If I feel hungry, I should see it as my body burning fat and pushing me closer toward my goal. If I really get hungry, drink water.
    - Not so many late nights. I want to get back into the habit (now I'm back from le trip) of awaking ~6am. This means that I'll be asleep earlier and won't risk getting late-night cravings.
    - Keeping myself busy throughout the day and making daily tasks in the form of a checklist.
    - Watch more workout videos and do more reading revolving around working out and diet. I've found that this helps me keep my goals in sight and my focus more on point.

James likes this.
  4. James

James Host

Looks pretty damn solid. You're going to have to really whack this one though; you've already took a swing at it.

I'll give the goal some time to get votes; let's see if the new batch are going to bother to engage, or if we've got another set of lazy no-hopers...

5. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Indeed I have; I nearly achieved the last weight-loss-oriented goal, however I obviously re-packed on the pounds.
    I've - possibly naively - put some hope in moving back to my Uni city. I'm not seeing this as salvation, but I'll regain my independence and hopefully I'll be able to follow through with all the expectations I've set myself above.

Having people like Jack disappear like that brings me little hope for how a lot of people really are. Perhaps it's how acclimatized people are to instant-gratification and easy ways out, you know? Like, it's fucking hard to get toned, start a business, daygame, etc.. The silver lining is that it means there's so much potential for those willing to go through the trials of fire.

6. James

James Host

My favourite was the guy who set a goal and then straight up never visited again. And he was in the original batch who were enticed by a reddit post about how "men's failure is deliberately self inflicted", were then screened through private messaging, and then had to go through the onerous registration page.

It's like they're lazy except for being lazy: that they'll take to the highest heights. They even have to tick a box prior to registration promising they'll at least post a basic introduction within 24 hours (which is now backed up by Gort sending a welcome PM to them about it), and still less than 50% do so. Just got to keep filtering them out: can't turn lazies into workers.

At least with Jack he gave a good swing at it. From what he wrote, including some PMs to me, he was incredibly weak. I saw it as inevitable he'd drop off because he simply didn't have the strength to sustain it. But he did the right thing in pursuing self-strengthening, and I hope he comes back to it and has another run at it.

It all comes down to comfort vs discomfort. Most of us nowadays, due to parenting, school, culture etc, are wired to a high discomfort sensitivity. The slightest discomfort, even the tiniest bit, and they run screaming back into their bedroom and jump under their bed covers and never venture out again. My guess is this is why a lot of countries had economic booms after the world wars: because when guys have been forced to go through incredible discomfort like that, everything else afterwards looks like a piece of piss. Which is why we should deliberately aim for discomfort and take pride in it.

Success is basically a function of two things: direction (which we do in brainstorming, in our own research, or getting guidance from others), plus discomfort (goal setting, action taking, hard work, sacrifice). Once direction is correct, it's a pure case of "more discomfort, more success". Direction is the steering wheel, discomfort is the gas pedal.

Shaney96 likes this.
  7. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal approved!

The community voted to approve this goal as Doable and SMART.
    Now, do your best to succeed! Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 19 Aug 2018.

8. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal update is due.

Please submit an update on your goal progress.

9. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Calories Consumed (Monday-Sunday): ~12386
    Average Calories (per day): 1769
    Weight Last Sunday: 182.2
    Weight This Sunday: 177.0

Notes:
    - Went to the gym today (Monday) for the first time in over a month. It felt good to be back in, although I felt frustration due to not being able to lift nearly as much as I had over a month ago; my ability to lift heavier will increase as I continue to go to the gym, this was just my ego.
    - The seemingly large drop in weight will primarily due to a loss of water weight, not loss of fat. I don't expect to see much of a difference in my look for another 3-5 weeks.
    - Since moving house Friday - I now live independently in my Uni city - I have re-introduced a low-carb diet. Apparently, reducing carb intake reduces water retention, which makes sense of my weight loss for this week.
    - 1700-1800 calories is fine so far, but only today have I really got back into exercising, so, although I'm currently fine with this amount of calories, I expect it to only get harder as I'm cycling plenty and will be at the gym 5 times a week.
    - Perhaps I'm more than 18% body fat upon looking at the pictures below... If so, the goal will simply to get to a body composition which enables me to be much more confident in my own skin. I guess that's up for me to decide, so you've still got your 13-14% figure you'll judge my results by.

[​IMG]

The below contains images of my human flesh - I'm sincerely sorry if this offends you.
    The first set of images tare taken from today, post-workout. The last two were shot after doing fuck all. Oh, and that's water, for if it were piss, I'd be concerned with how I managed to piss in such a manner.

https://imgur.com/a/C6kBPf1

Voting on this update has closed.

10. James

James Host

Looks like a good start.
    Can that calorie number be lower, and how?

We'll be going by the target weight you specified, as it's easier to measure:

11. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    An average intake of 1750 calories a day should be more than low enough for me to meet - and probably exceed - that target goal, so I think it's already low enough.

1750 is 500 calories lower than an estimated TDEE of 2250. This TDEE was calculated when I was at a lower weight and was training 4 times a week. My TDEE is probably around 2500 now, so I imagine I'm at around a 750 calorie deficit each day, which means I'll losing more than a pound a week; my target is 9lbs in 9 weeks, hence why I believe 1750 is more than enough.

But to keep the calories low, in response to 'how?', I aim to go pretty close to ketogenic (<20g carbs a day), and continue consuming a lot of water each day. Fats and proteins are more satiating than carbs, and help curb your cravings. Furthermore, after your body adjusts to using fats as its primary energy source (rather than carbs/sugars), the hunger pangs are much less severe and more infrequent.

12. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Writing below serves as a reference and something to look back on upon achieving this and my other goal:

Each day do I feel envious/resentful/sad/insecure when I see a group of friends enjoying themselves, or, more often the cause, an attractive girl with a guy. Daily do I crave some kind of receiving of affection from a girl - but from a girl who I've developed an emotional connection with. I believe the desire for an emotional connection is due to: receiving validation from a girl who's close to you is more valued (to me) than validation from a girl who you're not close to. I've been frustrated recently because I greatly dislike this craving, as it shows I'm not happy with myself. I also get frustrated as I don't have any physical abundance or close friends.

I was in a similar life-situation 2 years back (few friends, no abundance, but at this point a virgin with no sexual experience), yet I was more joyous than I am now. 'Why?' I asked myself, and, although I was working back then in an environment where I interacted often with people, I was much more confident in my body than I am now. This told me the power of 'loving yourself'. I do think that the social-interaction played a key role in keeping my mental state afloat, as I believe we're social animals. However, I rarely - if ever - became envious/resentful/whatever of attractive girls, because I had a more abundant mentality, in that: because I was confident in my own body, I probably knew - probably unconsciously - that I had the ability to pull, it was just then about developing that ability.

Anyways, the above was just the result of some introspection, and my head feels more clear after writing down some shit. I aim to reflect on this point in a month or two - regarding I've developed my physique - to see what mindset changed I've endured.

13. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: The previous update has been rated.

The score was: 4.00.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 26 Aug 2018

14. James

James Host

Acknowledge and redirect.

You ask yourself, "do I want to have this?", "yes, very much".
    "Do I have a solid, believable plan to get there?", "yes"
    "Am I executing this plan?", "yes, today I did X".

As long as you can say you have a solid plan towards attaining something, and that you've gotten solid action under your belt for that day, faith and hope will prevail over the negative feelings. A temporary negative feeling is acceptable -- it's the fear of it lasting indefinitely that is not.

Shaney96 likes this.
  15. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal update is due.

Please submit an update on your goal progress.

16. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Can't argue for that. As Mark Manson often says, at having conscious thoughts about your emotions/feelings is a great way to combat them.

Christ man 1750 is low xD I was doing 1800 and felt like shite.

As always:

Drink water.

17. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    You will always be lower than you expect when getting that lean. Only use the scale to measure weightloss, use eye for the cuts and ignore the final weight.

Most people weigh less than they say.

18. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Notes:
    - I'm pretty fine with my calories this low. I think I'll only increase my intake if I continue increasing my cardio. From next week I'll have boxing twice a week; from here I'll have to adjust calories accordingly. As you can see below, last week I went over 1800 calories on the Wednesday, which was done intentionally.
    - Went to the gym 5/5 times. It's important I continue this, as it keeps my psyche in better state.
    - I want to further reduce my carb intake this week. Fasting has been easier than I expected, but I feel it'll be even easier once I further restrict my carb intake. No temptations to binge so far either. I think I'm appreciating the magnitude of this goal more so this time around.

Oh, and to explain the below picture:
    The left-most column shows the date, and each day has M, E, and C. 'M' is my weight (in lbs) in the morning, 'E' is my weight in the evening, and 'C' is the amount of calories consumed that day. Rinse and repeat for each day.

[​IMG]

Voting on this update has closed.

19. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Weight definitely coming off there!

I think the main thing is this time is really try to beat the binges, which you have done so far!

20. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: The previous update has been rated.

The score was: 4.40.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 02 Sep 2018