1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Goal Reduce body fat to 13-14%

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by Shaney96, Aug 11, 2018.

Goal: Reduce body fat to 13-14% by October 15, 2018 (finished)

100%

Completed

Member Shaney96 commits to the following actions to achieve this goal

Consume no more than 12600 calories a week and work out at a gym at least 4 times a week.

1. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Went under 170, pretty cool! I don't know about the clubbing theory, but maybe? Was the clubbing any good?

Absolutely. It's a good way to make your commitment public for accountability too.

And I think you will have a fair chance at building your network with the past challenges you made. So remember where you came from and what you did and thrust that forward.

2. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Speaking in terms of excercise: Yes. Multiple hours each night on the dancefloor "shuffle-dancing" and walking around the club, followed by a decent walk home. I definitely think it contributed more than I anticipated to weight loss.

3. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: The previous update has been rated.

The score was: 3.20.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 30 Sep 2018

4. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal update is due.

Please submit an update on your goal progress.

5. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Gym: 5/5 times
    Diet: 2 binges

First binge was induced by smoking weed with housemates. Did this twice last week. Must not allow those I surround myself with (whether out of choice or not) dictate my decisions. This wasn't a binge out of feeling directionless, but just a "ahh fuck it, I'm high and watching TV", which isn't any excuse. Nevertheless, lesson learned.
    Second binge was after a long day, and I was headed out that night for a couple of socials. I guess I'm still adjusting to the busy schedule I'm allocating myself.

Goals for this week:
    - No smoking nor excessive drinking. I smoked twice last week and drank once. The drinking wasn't excessive, however I'd already gone over my caloric limit for the day. I have a social this upcoming Wednesday and am catching up with different people at pubs, so must ration out my calories accordingly.
    - Don't allow socializing to mess up a sleep schedule. I'm up so early today since my mind is busy as it's overwhelmed with shit I feel I need to get done ASAP. This is irrational, so this week I'll be getting my life more organized and have some sort of system in place that takes into account all my academic reading, socializing, gym, other work, and probably other random stuff. I must prioritize sleep and a healthy routine over getting drunk and spending too long on nights out.

[​IMG]

Voting on this update has closed.

6. Gort

Gort Robot

The score was: 2.25.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 07 Oct 2018

7. James

James Host

Need to keep the pressure on it. What happened on the 27th? That was pretty good. Few of them a week and it'll be hard not to come out on top.

8. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal update is due.

Please submit an update on your goal progress.

9. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Gym:
    6/5 times.

Diet:
    Fine overall. Over-consuming was a temptation a couple of times due to my eating window, but I didn't give in: A couple of days I awoke at ~5am, got to the gym for like half 6am, then would get back and finish my calories for the day for about 11am, and would still be hungry after finishing my last mean. You can therefore imagine I got quite peckish in the evening. I believe this is why my weight has been lower in the evenings toward the end of the week.

The 27th was an attempt to balance out the calories due to binging the day prior. It would've been pretty good had I not binged, so this completely negates the seeming 'goodness' of the 27th.

[​IMG]

04/10:
    Here it looks like a mini-binge, but in fact I began feeling exhausted: I was out for a social (a night-out for a University society), and drank only diet coke and water, that evening I had a dance class, and had been hard at the gym and cycling about. I'm not trying to excuse going over 1750 calories - I felt justified in having that meal when I was eating it. Anyways, although I felt justified at the time, I know now that it wouldn't have killed me to go without, and I was seeing me extra activities as an excuse for the meal, so I don't intend to have a 'booster meal' again.

Voting on this update has closed.

10. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Yeah, that line is quite fine. It can be a viscious circle. What was the extra meal? I mean, if you had white rice with veggies and a piece of fish or a bit of meat, then it's no big deal. If it was a burger with fries and a coke, that's something else.

And when you are hungry after your last meal, do you wake up hungry? Cause that's something fascinating I've noticed, sometimes I'll go to bed hungry and I'll wake up feeling fine. And a Japanese monk told me that we ought to enjoy hunger. I tell myself that a lot, it's very manageable, and were usually quite lucid once we get over the feeling.

11. Gort

Gort Robot

The score was: 4.20.

No more progress updates will come due on this goal (but you can still post them).
    Your goal results will come due on Sun, 14 Oct 2018

12. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Something I call "Cottage Sludge" (cottage cheese, protein powder, cocoa powder, peanut buttter). My diet is rather strange, but I enjoy it and it has many positives.

It's currently 5:34am, and I last at at 9:30am yesterday. I currently don't feel hungry at all. After the gym however I'll feel pretty hungry, so will consume the day's calories, then will go until tomorrow. I usually feel hungry a couple of hours after eating, but that hunger quickly subsides, and can be treated with a few glugs of water.

I perhaps read it on TRP or through some other reading, but it said how food is a great test of discipline. I see my hunger as a sign of "well done lad, you're working toward your goal", and I often remind myself of that painful regret I feel after binging vs feeling the reward of not binging and staying aligned with the person I want to become.

13. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal achievement results are due.

Please submit a report on your achievement of this goal. The community will then rate your result. You can include any evidence that helps present your result.

14. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Result

Gym last week: 4/5 (justified due to having gone 6 last week, thus completing 2 rounds of my workout routine).

Due to having 9 total weeks recorded, and only starting my 10th week this morning, the way to meassure 10 weeks progress would be to compare my weight on the Monday of the first week to my weight today, but that's not entirely accurate, so we'll just go with averages but I'll include the 10-week total difference first:

Starting Weight on 13th September:
    182.2lbs

Ending Weight on 15th October (this morning's recording):
    163.2lbs

Comparing Averages:
    Average Weight from Week 1:
    179.52lbs

Average Weight from Week 9:
    165.89lbs

Total Weight Lost (based on averages):
    13.63lbs.

Album from 15th October:
    https://imgur.com/a/8fmDL8U

Recordings Comparison:
    [​IMG]

Physical Comparison:
    [​IMG]

Inb4 "the only difference is you've gained a headband!"

For real though, I don't see too much of a physical difference, but I damn feel it. The quality of my phone camera and the lighting doesn't help reflect improved definition in my body, but I can see it myself. During my last cut I feel I got down to the point I'm currently at, just a little weaker, so I still want to cut. For the first time I'd like to actually be 'toned' and not have those damned 'love-handles', and have some visible abs. I'll therefore cut for another month or so, then begin a slow, lean bulk for a few months, then will cut again for Summer, hopefully a little less aggressively this time.

My main problem with working out over the last couple of years has been consistency, and this is my reason for having little to show: I've lacked discipline and have taken extended periods off from working out. Taking this into consideration, and how much I realize I value the fitness and health of my body, I'm better-able to determine my 'mission' in that I don't want to be doing excessive travel - staying in many places for only short bursts of time.

Overall improvements:
    My diet has changed to eating One Meal A Day (OMAD), and I eat all calories post-workout, meaning I'm done eating for between 9-10am.
    I've been getting into the habit of awaking between 5-7am (averaging like 5:30-6), and have really been enjoying getting on my bike to the gym while it's still pitch black and getting my workout done before 9am lectures.
    I've almost entirely cut-out alcohol. Every now-and-again I'd have water/coke on nights out, but now it's pretty much all I drink. Due to my increased socializing, I've come to deal with new environments with new people much better, and can feel comfortable very quickly around such environments, all while sober. This has been primarily due to me knowing that I want to stay sober due to my fitness goals.
    Due to getting up earlier, I've had to get in bed earlier. Furthermore, I've had plenty of Uni work. Because of these primary factors, I've gotten into scheduling most of my week into hourly blocks for each day, which has alleviated anxiety and made me a more effective worker.

Voting on this result has closed.
  15. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I see a difference, you seem leaner. Great job, for the time period allotted. There is definitely more definition around the shoulders. Obviously, it's hard with a static picture, but that's how I feel about it.
    A game-changer is a community, or a good vibe. It's not always easy to find that at a generic gym, but I think it's fair to say that every single place will have at least someone else who either likes to work out, or has profound respect for the body. If you stick around, you will organically get in touch with the other ones that come by frequently.

What's cool about this, is that in order to get to preserve the body, you necessarily have to tweak your lifestyle, and often, it is for the better. Good job.

In 4 years at the boxing club I have seen, many, many faces. There is something that happens to people who stick it out for at least a full year. Your body will have a metamorphosis, believe in it.

Final note, you might like this podcast:
    I dig what Mark Sisson does, his blog is the most well-informed diet blog on the internet and he used to binge eat ice-cream after work outs, so he knows both sides of the coin.

16. James

James Host

Definitely a clear improvement, looking less soft. Muscle will take longer than 2 months to build but it's going in that direction.

17. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: The result has been rated.

Congratulations on following this goal to the end!

The average goal result rating was: 5.00 (Grade: A — Surpassed goal).

Updates Report
    Total updates submitted: 8 of 8
    Average update rating: 3.25 (Medium action towards goal)

Next Steps
    Well done for achieving the goal. But for the next one, consider a more challenging goal that needs stronger action.