1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Goal Taking the C2/Proficiency English exam

Discussion in 'Misc' started by Kostadin, Jul 11, 2018.

Goal: Taking the C2/Proficiency English exam (01.12.2018) with at least 220 points (grade A) by December 7, 2018 (finished)

100%

Results Due

Member Kostadin commits to the following actions to achieve this goal

Spending at least 1 hour a day reading books or articles in English.
Doing at least 1 example test a week.

1. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Approval

I'll take the exam on 01.12.2018; 4,5 months of preparation should be more than enough.
    As I also plan on participating in the national competition in English once again, (the thing with 3 rounds that I attended last year) the preparations should allow me to get to the 3rd stage this year.
    Aside from what I've written in the "action commitment", I'll be looking for other opportunities. I need to find a way to practice my speaking. The thing is, I need somebody to give me feedback on my pronunciation and usage of words. (whether or not my speech is too heavy, the sentences' meanings are hard to understand, etc.)

As far as what I'll be reading, I'm going to start with "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hide" and r/TRP's sidebar. I should be able to finish the book by the end of next week, (22nd of July) whereas with the sidebar, we'll see how it goes?
    The Internet is full of old exams that I can use for practice, so there's that. I have a number of practice books in my house, as well as a lot of old papers that contain some nice exercises. ("Use of English";"Reading") I'd like to have gone through all the paper by the end of the month, arrange it in folders and then the books.

From 31.07 to 09.08 I'll be in Hungary on an international student meeting. I'll make sure to get a book or two with me, however, I won't be able to do too much of anything else. Unless something unexpected happens, this will be the only time when I'll be away from home and unable to stick to the action commitment fully.

2. James

James Host

Literature is good, but I'm not sure about that sidebar. It's pretty niche stuff, and they're amateur writers, so there's no guarantee on the quality of the English therein. Probably better, for the purposes of this goal, to focus on renowned writers (who are renowned because of their writing quality, e.g. Charles Dickens).

For practicing speaking, the best solution is a strict teacher (I think there are quite a few online teachers now too), but that would cost money. Another solution could be Toastmasters, if they exist in your area and have English speaking groups.

3. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I agree with James. I read a couple of the articles in the TRP sidebar last week as it was mentioned a couple of times here recently. Some of the articles are poorly written, and it makes sense since they are blog-posts or comments. One that isn't too bad is The Misandry Bubble. It is still not literature though. There's a noticeable gab between writers who dedicate their time and write content for a living and the guys who write personal texts for the public. It doesn't involve having an editor either.

And to add to Jame's comment for practicing english, also checkout Meetup and Couchsurfing. My city has groups dedicated to language practice... and it's free.

James likes this.
  4. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal approved!

The community voted to approve this goal as Doable and SMART.
    Now, do your best to succeed! Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 22 Jul 2018.

5. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    The nearest group is 200 km away from me.
    It seems most people in those sites are the kind of people who go somewhere to do a particular thing, not to walk around the city, but I'll try to make something happen.

And I understand your reasoning behind the comments on TRP's sidebar's level of English. I'll try to read it between doing the other stuff that's more important for me at the current moment.
    I'll keep it in mind.

6. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I attend these events in my city and most events actually happen in the city, since it's easy. Like you said, give it a try, it's hit and miss with these events. Most of the time, you join a group because they are doing something that is of interest to you, not just hanging out(although I see coffee and food meetups rather often).

7. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal update is due.

Please submit an update on your goal progress.

8. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I agree with @James here in that this is primarily consistent of amateur writers or just Average Joes (in regard to writing ability).
    I'm not sure how far Dickens will get you: I'm currently reading Great Expectations and am having difficulty every now-and-again in understanding what each sentence means. If you want a challenge, give it a go, as some of his sentences need a little de-ciphering!

So yeah, I agree with the other guys regarding looking up some renowned writers. It depends on your interests as well. Perhaps more philosophical readings may serve you well. Tolstoy and Dostoevsky perhaps?

9. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Good evening.

So from Friday to Sunday I attended this 3-day metal festival. It was nice, but, as you might have guest, I couldn't find time to work towards my goal.
    I have no more than a total of 7 hours of reading as of 11th July (which is when I made this thread) and honestly, it's been quite hard so far. After writing the 10th adjective in my own dictionary, that means "a nuance of "cold, dark" or "uncomfortable, untidy"", I just can't help but take a break. (yup, I write all the unfamiliar words in my personal dictionary)
    I haven't done any example tests.
    It's not the best start ever, but you can only go up when you're on the bottom. :D
    It should be easy to find their stuff written in English. I'll look into it.
    Well, the only meetup in my city happens every 3rd Wednesday of the month, and is "a casual get together". If I don't have any other plans, I might as well attend it.

Voting on this update has closed.

Shaney96 likes this.
  10. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    'Started from the bottom now we here ;P'

11. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: The previous update has been rated.

The score was: 2.20.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 29 Jul 2018

12. Gort

Gort Robot

13. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

4 hours and 25 minutes / 7 hours.
    I didn't do an example test.

7 hours from now I'll be on my way to Hungary. Due to luggage size limitations, I won't be able to do anything until I come back, which is going to be on 7th of August. After I come back I'm going to need to change my schedule:
    - playing Civilization 5 with friends is one of the two video game indulgences that I have. And I don't really do it that often, but when I do it, it's late at night, which makes it impossible for me to go into a strict sleep schedule. I might have to cut it out completely. (having shorter sessions is meaningless, since we start at 9 PM)
    - YouTube video binging. And it's not like the stuff I watch is of great educational value.

I think changing those two will be sufficient, but we'll see after I start implementing the changes.

14. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Start earlier, and finish earlier?
    Sure, it may be inconvenient due to differences in schedules, but I'm sure you could find a compromise
    Try a plugin that prevents access to certain sites. Mix this with discipline, and you should be golden.

Surely you can fit something small in to take with you..?

15. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    We've tried. One of the guys has dinner at like 9 PM to 9:30, the other one is working during the day and has to commute, so that's extra 2 hours in.
    On theory, I can, but honestly, I don't see myself being able to spend time reading there. Especially in English, I need to have a dictionary, it takes a lot of concentration. I'll be better of talking to everyone, since the official language is English - and that's going to be good practice as well.

16. Gort

Gort Robot

The score was: 2.00.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 05 Aug 2018

17. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I gotta be grateful for all the activities that happen in my city then!
    Youtube is designed to keep you hooked, just like all of those other social media platforms. Your attention is what pays the bills. Not easy to keep it out of the system, I usually tell myself 5 good arguments about why I shouldn't be on there, it works very often.

And if you have space for both YT and Civ then you also have space for reading a single page of any book everyday ;) After a long day at work I'll squeeze in 5 minutes of reading and that's good enough, it keeps that habit going.

Kostadin and James like this.
  18. Gort

Gort Robot

19. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Still in Hungary. We depart for home tomorrow morning.

20. Gort

Gort Robot

The score was: 1.00.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 12 Aug 2018