1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Goal Taking the C2/Proficiency English exam

Discussion in 'Misc' started by Kostadin, Jul 11, 2018.

Goal: Taking the C2/Proficiency English exam (01.12.2018) with at least 220 points (grade A) by December 7, 2018 (finished)

100%

Closed

Member Kostadin commits to the following actions to achieve this goal

Spending at least 1 hour a day reading books or articles in English.
Doing at least 1 example test a week.

1. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal update is due.

Please submit an update on your goal progress.

2. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Here we go.

I had a blast in Hungary. I could go on and on about my experiences there, but, I'll try to keep it relevant to my current goal:
    I tried not to talk with the other Bulgarians too much and speak as much English as possible. By the end of the camp everyone knew who I was, and due to my energy and devotion in the activities we did together. Add this to the fact that I was the best looking (body wise at least) male - this made me a magnet for female attention. For the first time in my life I experienced what it is to be "Chad", and it felt good. And that was just the result of 1.5 years of devotion to physical exercise. The best is yet to come.
    I met a lot of awesome people, and I think after this week I can for sure say that I have a very long-term goal for myself: living (working for sure, and studying if possible) abroad. The mentality of the people I met is really, really different compared to the average Bulgarian's - sadly a domestic alcoholic with no real awareness of what's happening around him, working for the weekends and for the 2 weeks of holidays every year - when he goes to Greece or Turkey in an all-inclusive hotel and eats and drinks as if the world is going to end after the end of his vacation. Even if I decide to return to Bulgaria at some point, I'm sure I want to create a life that will allow me to experience living in another country.

As far as the actual goal is concerned:
    Reading time:
    3:10/7:00. I know what to fix and hopefully this week the results will be a lot better.
    Example test (maybe some of the tasks give more than 1 point, but the score I've written is all correct answers/all answers) EDIT - FIXED:
    Listening - 25/30
    Reading and Use of English - 46/59; 55/72
    Speaking - It has to include a partner as well as a certificated evaluator. I know who my partner is going to be when the day comes, but practicing together with her deliberately is basically impossible at the moment. I'll once again go on MeetUp and Coachsurfing.
    Writing - I have example topics, but, I need somebody to evaluate them. And it isn't something that I can do properly alone. Any ideas for a substitute? I've been thinking about to going to r/writingprompts once or twice a week.

The score on the Listening and Reading and Use of English parts is almost 80%, which means that I will take the certificate for sure. Taking it with an A requires almost flawlessness, but I have a few more months to prepare.

Voting on this update has closed.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  3. James

James Host

Awesome!

One off things like that: probably just find a professional. I'm sure there's some English lit. major freelancing online who'll assist for not too high a price for an hour.

4. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: The previous update has been rated.

The score was: 3.00.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 19 Aug 2018

5. Gort

Gort Robot

6. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Hours of reading: 7:00/7:00
    Example test:
    Reading: 26/40
    Use of English: 20/33
    Listening: 11/19
    Grammar test: 37/50

A few things are worth nothing:
    Some of the exercises on those test are outdated. I'll try my hardest to find something more up-to-date.
    Some of the answers feel wrong. Especially on the readings. It's either me having a 10 minute brainfart (I always go back to look where and why I'd made a mistake), or the given answer truly is wrong.
    When using digital materials for practice (being on my PC/phone) I can't focus as well as if I were in the English school or an environment created for studying. And because I have to be on the PC/phone (no access to a printer) I'm at a loss with how to become more focused.

Shaney96 likes this.
  7. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Sounds like you're either turning nihilistic, or you've made a typo!

It's an idea to seek out a printer in your local neighbourhood.

Feel free to shoot over the questions/answers via messaging - I'm happy to have a once-over.

Nice work on the reading thought man; an hour a day is a great habit.

Kostadin likes this.
  8. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I did read a fair amount of Nietzsche, which makes it harder to guess what's the case. Jokes aside, nice catch. :p
    Genius is in simplicity.
    Thank you very much, I'll definitely make use of your services.

I forgot to mention 2 things in the weekly update:
    I contacted one of the teachers from the English center I used to attend. I'll meet him next Tuesday and we'll talk about writings (and by the end of the week I'd like to have 4 writings prepared) and the exam in general.
    The only Meetup group in my city just broke up. I'll try to go on Couchsurfing again. If that doesn't work, I'll look for local "language cafe" events. I attended one such event a few months ago and it was a ton of fun. Hopefully there's something like this again.

Shaney96 likes this.
  9. Gort

Gort Robot

The score was: 4.00.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 26 Aug 2018

10. Gort

Gort Robot

11. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Agreed as well, it's probably too colloquial than our boi @Kostadin needs.

12. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Reading time: More than 6 hours, but less than 7. (parties aren't your best friends, I have to plan them in advance)
    Example exam: It seems like finding those on the Internet is the hardest thing in the world. I found one YouTube video, but the quality was so bad I could only do half of the readings... 29/34, if it even matters. I'll see what I have at home and update my action commitment. (@James, can one edit the action commitment in the top bar? If not, I'll just post it and quote the changes every time or something)
    I did write 4 writings. I'll be seeing my English teacher tomorrow.

13. James

James Host

Well you can do something in place of the sample tests as a substitute. We won't hold you to an action you discover is genuinely impossible due to reasons outside your control.

14. Gort

Gort Robot

The score was: 4.00.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 02 Sep 2018

15. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I went to the private class. My teacher gave me a book, consisting of a total of 4 full tests. I'll keep on doing one per week. When I register for the exam, I'll be given 30 hours of practice materials. This should be sufficient for the next two months.

James likes this.
  16. Gort

Gort Robot

17. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Reading time: 3:45 hours
    Reason: I finished "Strange case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde; and other stories" by Robert Louis Stevenson by the middle of the week. Got another one just yesterday - it's Dostoevsky's "Notes from the Underground and other stories".
    Example test:
    Reading: 47/60
    Use of English: 31/53; I have problems with sentence formation. I'll try to find some extra stuff that should help me with this one.e
    Listening: 18/28

Sadly some of the exercises are outdated, but they're a good practice nonetheless.
    Honestly, I just can't focus at home as well as I do at school/during exams and competitions. Hopefully I manage to get myself together when the time comes.

18. Tom

Tom Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    One way I found that helped me, was walk around outside for 2 hours reading/working/listening. Helped me focus. Not very practical I guess.

19. Gort

Gort Robot

The score was: 3.00.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 09 Sep 2018

20. Gort

Gort Robot