1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Goal Taking the C2/Proficiency English exam

Discussion in 'Misc' started by Kostadin, Jul 11, 2018.

Goal: Taking the C2/Proficiency English exam (01.12.2018) with at least 220 points (grade A) by December 7, 2018 (finished)

100%

Results Due

Member Kostadin commits to the following actions to achieve this goal

Spending at least 1 hour a day reading books or articles in English.
Doing at least 1 example test a week.

1. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Reading time: 8:20 hours
    Reading: 44/62
    Use of English: 28/53
    Listening: 21/28

My results aren't getting better. I need to do some deliberate practice. The first area where the situation is dire (4/16 points) is sentence transformation. For the next week, aside from the usual stuff, I'll do at least 14 sentence transformation exercises I found online.

Dostoevsky feels quite easier so far. It's probably because the book was already translated once from Russian. Nonetheless, I still find some unknown worlds in it.

Voting on this update has closed.

2. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: The previous update has been rated.

The score was: 4.00.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 16 Sep 2018

3. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Well, you know where your area of lack and have a plan to fix it, that's half the battle. Keep thinking of having an 'emphasis on practice'.

Kostadin and James like this.
  4. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal update is due.

Please submit an update on your goal progress.

5. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Reading time: 4:20.

Example test: (the comments in brackets are comparative to the last week, and in general)
    Reading: 47/62 (getting better)
    Use of English: 25/53 (getting *not exactly* better)
    Listening: 22/28 (solid)

The extra sentence transformation exercises: an average of 3.4/8. The result isn't higher than the one in the rests I'm making, but I can feel that practicing deliberately has its effects.

For next week, besides the usual stuff:
    2 writings at least;
    Doing the example test before Sunday, preferably Mon-Fri, and not listening to music during it. Procrastination is a bitch, and measures must be taken. If it has to be shaming myself and putting pressure on myself via a forum, so be it.
    Getting hold of other materials than can be used for deliberate practice.

6. Gort

Gort Robot

The score was: 3.00.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 23 Sep 2018

7. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I recently listened to a podcast on the School of Greatness by Mel Robbins. It might help with your procrastination. The idea is basic, but it doesn't have to be complicated. When pro athletes start sucking, the coach tells them to return to "the basics" until they find their grounding again to start back up.

I'm also using something called Leech Block, an extension for firefox. I have Youtube for 10 minutes a day 6 days a week and one hour on Sunday. It's helped me get the bad habit of watching things that made me avoid my real responsibilities.

Kostadin and Shaney96 like this.
  8. Gort

Gort Robot

9. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Reading: 7/7 hours
    Reading, Use of English and Listening: around 50% (see below) (I did it on Thursday, and not Sunday, which is what I wanted; I didn't listen to any music while doing it either)
    2 writings - I'll write them after I finish writing this goal update.
    EDIT - Because I have to prepare myself for an entry test in History and it was this test that made it impossible for me to get straight As in the first term of last year, I'll redirect my attention there. The 2 writings will be written next week.
    New practice materials: I have a book 240 pages long that focuses on grammar and vocabulary. For the next three weeks I will not do any example tests. I want to get back to the basics, because...

//begin rant
    So, um, yeah, 50%. I haven't had such a low result on a test in months. I was one of the top 3 students in the English school on the C2 level. And it's not like I have been laying in bed all summer. After checking my answers and going back to see what my mistakes were I still can't get it.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dpmpsiWCAzY-4StUlexo9JmgNAteR889 - look at the amount of red. Just look at it.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=18H85HMbXLgZ4Bklq642misxzgZT8_AK8 - look at 2 and the difference between B (the actual answer) and A. What an immense difference.
    (the reason I'm sending Google Drive links is because the site tells me the pictures' size is too large, I don't know if it's a bug or it works as intended, as I'm not being told what's the maximum allowed file size @James )
    And the fact that this week I was focused harder than ever (I did not listen to music or had any other distractions) makes me even angrier.
    I really hope that the book has such hard exercises intendedly. Otherwise I really don't see myself achieving my goal. (getting an A) Maybe I took more than I could chew. We'll see about that when I receive the results. For now, back to work.
    //end rant

Thanks @Fundinn . I'll listen to the podcast and apply the plug-in ASAP.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  10. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    A thing I wasn't doing enough was learning to understand why I would fail tests. Sometimes I didn't understand a rule or a law properly and studied making false assumptions.

Try to see if you can use that anger as motivation to have another great week.

Shaney96 likes this.
  11. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Reading through this and then reading @Fundinn 's response, I realized my response is pretty similar:
    There's a logical reason as to why you did worse than you desired. Your score makes sense. There is a logical reason(s) as to why you scored what you did; it's your job to reflect back and fundamentally understand what (potentially very minor) mistakes you made.
    All of your work has not been wasted: You simply made some mistakes which resulted in an unsatisfactory result.

Look back at the answers and why they are such. Research into why the answers are what they are and take notes on any points of confusion/lacking knowledge. Proceed stronger.

12. Gort

Gort Robot

The score was: 4.00.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 30 Sep 2018

13. Gort

Gort Robot

14. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Hours spent reading - 3:00/7:00
    Pages from the exercise book done - 0

A brief explanation:
    The reason for this is the combination of entry-level tests at school, lack of discipline and some other stuff. Also I believe I took more than what I could chew.

For the next week:
    Reading will once again be 7 hours.
    As far as the exercise book is concerned, I think 30 (this way I'll finish the book exactly by the time I take the exam) should be okay. If I feel like I have the time for more, I'm going to do more. This school year we started hard. Usually the first months we have it easy, this time this wasn't the case. But I'm going to be fine. And I have a plan how to get my ass together. But I'm going to post it in the brainstorming thread.

15. James

James Host

Keep at it, a C2 in English is very valuable.

16. Gort

Gort Robot

The score was: 2.00.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 07 Oct 2018

17. Gort

Gort Robot

18. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Time spent reading - 1:20/7 hours
    Pages from the test book - 32/30 (2 dull themes)

Doing those pages was very time consuming. It took me around a total of 6 hours, and I still have to go through the last three tests for a second time to check for mistakes. But at least now I know how much time I need and how to organize it.

For next week - same goal 7 hours/30 pages (2 full themes).

19. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I know the tests took a lot of time, but if you have 5 minutes to read, that's when it can really, really pay off. Sustain the habit when the conditions aren't in your favor. I'll read a page between two subway stations. Sometimes, I don't realize it, but that reflex get's me a chapter by the end of the week. Back in the day, I would say, "It's not a good time to read.", then, I was sure I would not advance.

20. Gort

Gort Robot

The score was: 2.20.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 14 Oct 2018