1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Goal Taking the C2/Proficiency English exam

Discussion in 'Misc' started by Kostadin, Jul 11, 2018.

Goal: Taking the C2/Proficiency English exam (01.12.2018) with at least 220 points (grade A) by December 7, 2018 (finished)

100%

Results Due

Member Kostadin commits to the following actions to achieve this goal

Spending at least 1 hour a day reading books or articles in English.
Doing at least 1 example test a week.

1. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Goal update is due.

Please submit an update on your goal progress.

2. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Time spent reading: 1/7 hours.
    I absolutely agree. Now I just have to take action.
    Number of themes from the book I'm going through: 1/2 - This week I'll do one extra in other to catch up.

Other things that I've done related to this goal:
    Went to 2 private lessons, one by myself and one with the person with whom I'll be doing the speaking part for the exam. (for the record, the teachers from the lessons were different) I was given a decent amount of advice on both writing and speaking.
    I attended the first part of the national competition in English (speaking). The first part is talking for 5 minutes on a preselected topic that was "Technology creates more problems than it solves". I don't know my results yet, but since all attendants watched the person currently speaking, I could say I'm more than confident that I will be going to the second round.

For this week:
    7 hours of reading, 3 themes in the book.
    Taking 2 more private lessons - I have to prepare 2 writings.
    Meeting with my partner in order to practice speaking on Tuesday.

Voting on this update has closed.

3. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    I was just told that I ended up second at the speaking competition. Which is great an all, but only the winner goes to the next round. Life goes on I guess.

James likes this.
  4. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: The previous update has been rated.

The score was: 3.50.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 21 Oct 2018

5. Gort

Gort Robot

6. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: Update not submitted.

The goal update was not submitted within the time limit.

7. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Well that sucks. Anyway:
    Time spent reading: 1:40/7:00 hours (we already discussed this multiple times, and I can't do anything else at this point but say in advance that I will get the seven hours)
    I had to use this Monday and Tuesday, but I did the three parts of the grammar book. (2 as per usual + 1 that I couldn't manage to do the week before)
    I wrote 2 writings and went to two lessons.

8. Gort

Gort Robot

9. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Reading: 3/7 hours. At least it's better than last week.
    Tests from the book: 2/2

This week I'll be off from school, so, I'll also write 3 essays. And if I don't get the 7 hours this week I'll punish myself with swimming in the sea. As you might assume, the water isn't exactly hot at this time of the year.

10. James

James Host

I'd love a job that gets as much time of a year as schools in your country :D

5 weeks to go, how confident are you feeling?

11. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    This would mean that you would be working for only 2/3rds of an year. As long as the money is sound, count me in.

Having taken those extra lessons and having done more deliberate exercises, definitely more confident than a month ago.

I feel like sharing something personal, that is kind of related to the goal, so, why not.
    I don't remember talking about this here, maybe I have mentioned it, maybe not. The high school of mathematics that I attend, I've been there for 6+ years now. You can enter there after 4th grade and after 7th. In the first case you do this test in advanced (for our age) mathematics that is 100% optional and only the best kids at mathematics, who usually have spend their last 4 years competing go through. No matter whether or not you have been in the school since 5th grade, you have to go through the process of choosing from all high schools after 7th grade.
    I used to go to those competitions in mathematics. My parents have insisted on one thing ever - me entering that school after 4th grade and I'll be eternally grateful for this. Of course, I also attended the competitions. Most kids stop going to those at some point, but that's irrelevant to the story. You see, I have had maybe 4 second places. Numerous third places. And of course I've been placed lower. I never tasted the feeling of being the best. I used to look at this fact as something bad, because I had stopped competing for various reasons really early. I was the first one from my class.
    Now I see it as a challenge. And I have been out for blood for a while. I'm very well aware that I will not get 230/230 in the CPE test, but that does not mean that I'm not confident in my success. Hell, even if I do not get an A, I will not get less than a B. I would say this fits into the category "success".

12. James

James Host

Well to be the best you need to beat everyone else. There's only one best. So to get that takes extreme dedication.
    One thing that can help is to talk to previous winners or to at least study the leader -- he's the guy you have to beat. See what they're doing differently and do it better than them.

13. Gort

Gort Robot

The score was: 3.75.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 04 Nov 2018

14. Gort

Gort Robot

15. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Time spent reading : 7+ hours / 7:00. I don't know exactly how many, but if I do take a bath in the sea it will be voluntary.
    Test themes from the book: 2/2
    I also wrote 3 writings and took another individual lesson. The teacher is saying that my writings keep getting better and better.

For the following week - the same thing. (including the writings, as I will take another individual lesson)

16. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Nice work man; good to see you've managed to surpass the reading goal

17. Gort

Gort Robot

The score was: 4.75.

Your next progress update will come due on Sun, 11 Nov 2018

18. Gort

Gort Robot

19. Kostadin

Kostadin Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Update

Time spent reading: 4:00/7:00; I know that making excuses is not what we are here for, but, honestly, fuck second shifts.
    Test themes from the book: 2/2. (3 more to go in total)
    3 writings and an extra lesson.

Goal parameters remain same for the next week. I have to learn to adapt to the second shift anyway.

20. Gort

Gort Robot

Notification: The previous update was not rated in time.

Further rating votes have been canceled. We apologize for this temporary failure.

Please continue with your goal.