1. GoGetters Community is no longer actively maintained, and will be closing down in the future. Thankyou for your participation in this project. [ Details ]
    Dismiss Notice

Goal Wake up at 5AM

Discussion in 'Misc' started by Fundinn, Nov 6, 2018.

Goal: Wake up at 5AM for 30 consecutive days for more reading and planning time. by December 3, 2018 (in 2 Weeks 1 Day)

Pending

Please vote!

Member Fundinn commits to the following actions to achieve this goal

Will do:
-Setup the alarm for 5AM and be out of bed within 5 seconds of the alarm ringing start.
Take the extra two hours created to read books, do planning or work on website projects.
-Setup the night before my lunch and the clothes I will wear to stop walking around in the morning looking for shit.

Will stop:
-No phone or computer use after 9PM to maximize sleep I get.
-Avoid after dinner(I don't sleep well if I eat past a certain hour).

1. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:

Goal Approval

The two hour commute to work while I wait for the construction of my apartment is something I have to deal with. I'm fortunate enough to by in physical shape so I ride my bike and get an extra work out, but it still eats away at my personal time for other, soft-development skills.

I feel over-scheduled and I am reminded that the winner of the rat race... is a rat. I might have website development projects coming on the side, promises that I have made and will keep as well as a stacks of books I want to read. Jocko said that "discipline is freedom", and I believe him.

I will provide three metrics for every day of the challenge during the goal updates:
    1. What I did from 5AM to 6:30AM (New free time since I am waking up at 6:30 right now).
    2. How long it took me to get out of bed and start doing something.
    3. If I followed the DO's and DONT's of my attached goal action commitments.
    It has to be consecutive days. If I miss one day the challenge is over. Exceptionally, if there are acts of god or some insane circumstance, I will put it down and keep going, but under no chance should be something that could have been dealt with on the onset.

Login to vote...
  2. Shaney96

Shaney96 Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    So it's a challenge. Not more beneficial to integrate such as a habit, instead? As opposed to "CHALLENGE OVER", and potentially slipping back into old ways, why not see it as something to slowly integrate into your life; within a few weeks waking at 5am will be merely habit.

3. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Good point!

The goal is supposed to be "stretching" according to SMART, I don't see waking up at 5AM inconsistently as a tough one. I can't find the link, but there is also some supporting evidence that "back to back" or "streaking" days of action have a stronger effect in fostering habits. It can also bring a degree of satisfaction since I will mark the days with a line in the calendar.

That the place I came from when I wrote "the challenge is over", so what I mean is that I will still be attempting early wake ups, but to me, it should also be about doing it consistently.

4. Fundinn

Fundinn Active Member

Rating points:
    Action points:
    Result points:
    Since the goal hasn't started yet, I'll share what I've done so far. @Shaney96 was right, maybe I was in an unbeatable mind state when I devised the goal, but after waking up at 5AM and going to bed at almost midnight I got my ass handed out to me. The boxing and swimming sessions are late in the evening and I got washed out.

I've decided to loosen up the window to, "wake up between 5 and 6am". Life happens and it was not cool to have 5 hours of sleep consecutively knowing what kind of days I was having with work and training. I've looked up Navy Seal sleep schedules and also the science of sleep and it's a big topic. I've concluded that the best I can do is wake up at 6AM on long days and before 5:30AM on regular days. At least until I settle into this new habit.

First Day:
    5AM, took 5 seconds to get out of bed. Had an eye twitch at work for a minute or two. Read the art of seduction for an hour. I felt weaker when swimming.

2nd Day:
    5:30AM, took 5 seconds to get out of bed. Felt sore muscles at boxing, eyes were red, was less patient too. Reading legal papers.

3rd Day:
    6AM, took 5 seconds to get out of bed. Went to bed at 9:45PM, felt pretty good. More reading.

A big win was to prepare my backpack, my bike and my food for the day in advance. Including what I wore everyday. Made my mornings very smooth.

It's only the beginning.

Shaney96 likes this.